Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:12 AM   #1
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Best Small Companies for Gear

I like to buy from family run, local companies. Places small enough to offer good personal service, with a strong desire to make excellent quality products. Companies careful about sourcing their products, or have their own small factories. Places who may charge you for quality, but who won't charge you a huge markup. Places that save you money because they don't have massive advertising and marketing costs. To me, these places are a clear match for the Ninjette.org rider. We like substance over style. We like things that are practical and smart gear. We like stuff that works, and stuff that makes you proud to own it, but we don't care about other people knowing it. Instead of wearing that Alpinestars, Icon or Joe Rocket logo, you know you've got something YOU know is good and that is enough.

If you were to avoid buying from the Alpinstars, Icons and Joe Rockets of the world, who would you buy from? The aftermarket exhaust equivalent would be Area P, but what about gear? I'd like for Ninjette.org to champion the little guy who is doing good things, and there are some great options out there we should be getting people to consider. Here are some ideas, and I'll add to this list with other good suggestions that come up during discussion in the thread:

Vanson Leathers. The prototype company for this thread. Jackets hand made at their Fall River Mass factory. Meticulous attention to detail, and a custom suit of theirs has long been my dream suit. Yes, I know they've moved some of their glove manufacture out of the U.S., but their core leather work is still in Fall River. And I have to say that while substance over style is my theme here, they have some wicked attractive jackets.

Teiz Motorsports. A San Jose company focused on one-piece riding suits, jackets and pants. Just learned about them a few days ago and have already bought from them. Their niche is value pricing for high quality - I bought a mesh/cordura one-piece with CV shin, knee, forearm, elbow, shoulder and back armor (plus knee pucks) for $199, and the quality is really unbelievable for the price. When I asked a question about sizing, it was the owner himself who worked with me. Imported, but good quality control and amazing, personal customer service. But what really sets them apart is their R&D. On their site, you'll see a note: "We are constantly improving our designs, so the product you receive may be different that the photo." The owner, who has a BMWR1200GS, is member of advrider.com where there is a 1000+ post thread devoted to Q&A with the owner as people make suggestions for the gear. Someone notes a seam rubs wrong? He moves it for the next order, and we all benefit. He really responds to feedback. His Lombard one-piece suit is a Roadcrafter competitor, beats it on features, and competes with it on quality, for 1/2 the price.

Fulmer Helmets. Another small, family run shop. They refuse to sell online. Refuse. As a matter of principle, they know that the safety of a helmet is best ensured with a personal fit, and they will alter your helmet for your head. That alone shows where their priorities are. I called them about how I can buy one overseas, and got the owner. Cool dude, but he was unflinching about his demand for a personal fit. I like it. Good reviews on the helmet I want, the Fulmer SS by Trackday Mag.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:15 AM   #2
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

draggin jeans

Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:09 PM   #3
kkim

um... if, you are outsourcing your work, how is supporting a small business owner, who happens to be a US business, a good thing? What's the difference, then, of supporting them, when they are paying the outsourced work to countries with lower wages to make the stuff they sell here as opposed to a company owned by a US owner who imports Alpine Stars?

That's the beef I have with US companies that are basically distributors of imported goods. How does that support any workers in the US? To me, it only lines the pockets of the owners.

I went with an Aerostich suit because I knew that the people who do the actual sewing live in the US and the quality of the product has been top notch since day one and also something my pocketbook (though not really all that happy) was fine with.

While I applaud your premise, I think it falls short in it's execution. When shopping for products, if the deciding factor is where it's produced, made in the USA wins every time with me.

Area P, Zero Gravity, Aerostich, Corbin, Woodcraft... I've tried to make a conscious effort to help $upport the US economy with regards to spending money on my bike... have you? And in each of these cases, I have never been let down in the quality of product. I just hope you can say the same in the years to come with your decisions and that the company you purchased it from is there to help you when you do.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:30 PM   #4
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
I agree with your general premise. After all, I work as a commerical labor attache supporting labor rights overseas while promoting US business, specifically reporting on factory and labor conditions overseas, so I'm sensitive to the issue.

But I think if you look at the companies I've suggested we support, you'll find good companies that aren't merely distributors of foreign products. They are U.S. companies, producing U.S. designs under tight product controls, working in a way that to my research supports labor rights. They design, control and sell products unique to their companies. And all three I can support, regardless of whether there happens to be some foreign involvement in assembly or parts. (Where does Aerostich import their fabrics from? And Aerostich, like Vanson, doesn't claim all their products are U.S. made. Almost no one can claim full U.S. content anymore.)

This is so because the reality of the U.S. is that our economy is based on design, science, service and intellectual property. Frankly, the types of jobs that assemble garments are not the kinds of jobs that work well in a developed economy and not the kinds of jobs we want. The garment industry is pretty much dead in the U.S., and I say good riddance. Certainly, I'm not going to hold foreign assembly against a U.S. company provided they are thoughtful about labor rights and control their own design and product quality very closely.

So like you I don't think we should be necessarily be supporting U.S. companies that are merely distributers of foreign goods, and certainly not in this thread. The whole reason for this thread was seeing the same products, same designs merely rebranded with different manufacturer logos -- most recently this came up in these forums in a boot thread with Technic, Sedici and Cortech all sharing a foreign made, foreign designed boot. Joe Rocket is the master of putting their brand on all manner of gear, good and bad.

I want to bring some positive attention to companies that are U.S. companies, that really care about quality, that design for purpose and control their product line. And I think the companies I've listed do just that. (BTW, I agree with your list of good parts manufacturers. Area P, Zero Gravity, Corbin, Woodcraft are all worth supporting. And Aerostich deserves to be in the list of gear manufacturers to support along with the others I've mentioned.)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:53 AM   #5
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Here is how I'm defining a good, small company for gear:

1. Outstanding product quality and control.
2. Personal and responsive customer service.
3. Designs its own products and does R&D that includes motorcyclists.
4. Focus on product over marketing and branding.
5. Not merely a distributor of foreign products.
6. Safety is a primary concern, fashion is secondary.
7. Doesn't have to locally manufacture, so long as it has control over design and quality, but bonus points if it does.
8. Doesn't have to be a mom and pop or family run, but bonus points if it is.

Happy to take feedback on this, even happier to get references to good, small companies for gear. Per kkim's suggestion, I'm adding Aerostich to OP shortly.

Old April 17th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #6
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

http://www.velocitysportsgear.com/

Fully custom suits at very reasonable prices (<$1000), and they're of good quality. Don't have one myself but have seen them at bike shows and a couple guys I ride with have them, the quality is on par with just about anything else on the market.

Just this past week there was a break in at their retail outlet. About $40000 worth of custom suits and jackets were stolen...Be on a look out if you see anyone trying to sell this stuff for even cheaper on the net. They're completely independent so it should be a bit harder for these thieves to move it without suspicion. They're all completely unique and one of a kind, but most have "Velocity" logos on the forearms.
LoneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #7
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Kali Helmets

California-based startup company founded by aerospace engineer using some very interesting proprietary technology: Kali Helmets. 3 pound carbon fiber helmet for under $400, and protective properties from composite fusion construction look pretty cool. Just picked up by Revzilla, with nice review:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old April 19th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #8
Moldbuster
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Limited Ed

Motoport. I have their Kevlar suit, made in California. 4-10x the abrasion resistance of comp leather and you can throw it in the washing machine if it gets dirty. Repairable, can be altered plus they guarantee if you ever send them a suit that has been crashed and they CAN'T repair it, they'll replace it...for free...forever. You can actually call and talk to the owner. Best protective gear money can buy.
Moldbuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM   #9
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

I'll add another: http://www.trackskinz.com/. TrackSkinz offers decent leathers at a good price.

On of us, Daeldren, bought a suit: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ght=trackskinz

And a review: http://www.trackdaymag.com/Articles/...ing-Suits.aspx

Old May 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM   #10
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I like Aerostich--really good stuff. Sargent Seats (I ordered one for the NT) Had a Corbin on the Ninja. I couldn't get a seat that lowered the height 1" from Corbin. When I get my new Green Ninja, it will have a Corbin seat.

One company that I will not get anything from is Nike. They have two plants in Vietnam and don't even pay a subsistance wage.

Old May 5th, 2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

http://www.pilotleathers.com/

California made, competitive pricing, amazing quality
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 05:12 PM   #12
OrganoMetallic
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE

http://www.johnsonleather.com/

They make leather jackets and suits in San Francisco.

They also sell T-Pro Forcefield Armor. Not US made, but really good quality nonetheless.
OrganoMetallic is offline   Reply With Quote