ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #1
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Cross Country Run on a Ninjette

A 300-400 mile saturday is pretty routine and i've never came home sore or tired. There doesnt seem to be any comfort prob and I have swapped both sprokets so running 70-80 on the speedo rarely gets the engine over 8-8.5k.
Yet...400 miles ain't 3000 miles.
Have you ever done a straight across the country run ? ON any bike?
RSVP please ONLY if you've actually run 500 miles a day for more than a day or 2. My concerns are not about the bike but about...well...things i should be concerned about that only a cross country rider would be aware of.
There's always a lot that you never realize uuntil you do it.
Any IRON BUTT grads on the board ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 08:48 AM   #2
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Once your body is used to long periods of being on the bike it's a breeze. Weather is the biggest factor in cross country riding. If your not in a hurry there is so much to see in this country that you will never be bored.

Old May 16th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #3
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

All the way across the U.S. during the springtime? Beware of the various springtime insect swarms such as "lovebugs," mayflys and midges. I don't know which is worse; bad weather on a long ride or an insect swarm coating you and your bike with their guts.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #4
eddiekay

Didnt think of bugs .
Rain is ....dreaded. I can only take 14 days...NY to CA, CA to NY. Going to use the MAPQUEST route that keeps me as near as i can get to south.
Not going to get to see anything...maybe aside to grand canyon at flagstaff.
Err...beyond the flat kit, qt of oil and chain lube...any other ideas to keep the bike healthy?

Old May 16th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #5
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

I've gone cross country numerous times but never as an Iron Butt. I tend to average around 300-400 miles/day.

But --

Here's a guy that did a 50CC (coast to coast in 50 hours) on a Ninjette: http://www.theyeagergroup.com/ninja_250_BB1500_50CC.htm

Old May 16th, 2011, 10:13 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I've done some > 1000 mile days on sportbikes, and a few ~ 1500 mile days on BMW's. Haven't done more than 500 - 550 or so in a day on the ninjette, but all things considered it's equally if not more comfortable than most sportbikes. Things get sore, it's the nature of the beast. The Iron Butt site itself has some good recommendations to review prior to embarking on a seriously high mileage ride:

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

and

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #7
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I've ridden coast to coast 9 times, twice on bicycles w/YMCA group & camping gear (when I was a teenager, young and stupid).

Once on a KTM 640 via the Continental Trail, over 1600 mi. of non-paved surfaces.

Twice on the Northern Route (via Canada), with a BMW R1150RS & Honda VFR800.

Twice the Mid-West Route, on BMW K1200RS and Aprilia Futura.

Twice the Southern route (into Mexico), with a Honda XR650R and BMW K75.

I've also ridden up/down the East and West Coast a few times, on mostly sport touring bikes like Honda Blackbird, BMW R1100S, Triumph Sprint RS, SV650S, etc...

Longest single stretch of riding was Philly to Key West, FL (about 1400 mi.) in 27 hours (w/a 30 minute nap). No disrespect to Iron Butt Riders, but IMO it's a waste of fuel if you start finish in one place with the single purpose of logging miles.

Annually, I ride once (or twice) from Philly out to Ann Arbor, MI to visit family. Usually a 10 hour ride (including fuel/rest stops), almost certain to encounter rain along the way somewhere.

I've determined that laying forward against a secure tank bag is the most comfortable way for me to travel long distance at highway speed on pavement.

Sitting upright on pavement just allow the road shock (not-absorbed by the suspensions) and engine vibration to travel straight up your spine..

Earplugs are essential to reduce fatigue and protect hearing. Carry the least amount of items on your body during the ride.

I am not sure if I want to ride the Ninja 250 for overly long distance, it's capable of it, but in my mind I don't see it being the Ninja 250's intended purpose. Maybe I will ride it up to Prudhoe Bay, AK in the Arctic Circle.. That'll be a good trip for the Ninja 250.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #8
eddiekay

That guy who did the 50cc...should be required reading for any distance biker.

Old May 16th, 2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
That guy who did the 50cc...should be required reading for any distance biker.
Dr. Yeager is on this site; here's his profile.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
I've gone cross country numerous times but never as an Iron Butt. I tend to average around 300-400 miles/day.
On your Ninja?

Did you have any major problems?

Will you do it again?
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #11
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Dr. Yeager is on this site; here's his profile.
I met him last fall at the IMS show in Dallas, he and his kid are pretty decent folks. Hadn't seen anything from him in a while, though, wondering if he's doing alright.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 07:49 AM   #12
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
On your Ninja?

Did you have any major problems?

Will you do it again?
Not on the Ninja: twice on an SV650S (three times if you count a trip partway through Canada) and once on a F650GS. I would do it on the Ninjette, though.

No problems at all on any of the trips. Lots of little things like minor mechanical problems (chain clips falling off, my SV's speedo stopped working once, I had battery issues in Alaska because dumbass [me] left the heated grips on overnight, the Beemer's radiator got a tiny leak) but nothing that couldn't be solved on the road in short order.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat right now if my back would allow it. Motorcycle touring is truly one of the joys of my life.

Old May 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM   #13
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
Not on the Ninja: twice on an SV650S (three times if you count a trip partway through Canada) and once on a F650GS. I would do it on the Ninjette, though.

No problems at all on any of the trips. Lots of little things like minor mechanical problems (chain clips falling off, my SV's speedo stopped working once, I had battery issues in Alaska because dumbass [me] left the heated grips on overnight, the Beemer's radiator got a tiny leak) but nothing that couldn't be solved on the road in short order.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat right now if my back would allow it. Motorcycle touring is truly one of the joys of my life.
Thanks... I'm trying to build up the nerve to do 1200miles round trip to the family home in Gulfport Ms...

Old May 17th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #14
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

May I suggest something?

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM   #15
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Id say make sure you got plenty of extra dough in yer bank account incase something happens to the bike. Flat tires, worn out brake pads, whatever.

Make sure the bike is in grade A condition, anything that's iffy now will probably become a major problem later.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:30 AM   #16
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

+1 on the earplugs. Or if you prefer, I love the Etymotics ER-6 or ER-6i's for music + isolation. Bring extras in case you lose them. They'll help time go by on the straight runs. As for the bike, these things pretty much run themselves without too much of an issue. Just make sure you're happy with how it runs before you leave or the smallest nitpick will be annoying you the entire trip.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:34 PM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
It is always a plus to have a beautiful woman follow you in a van!

Old May 17th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #18
eddiekay

Hey CC...you've given me solid info before.....eeer....do you have the phone number of lady with the van ?

Old May 17th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #19
Yasko
Texas Newbie

I'll do it this weekend if she's available??? With any luck my bike will break down and I'll have to ride in the van with this beautiful woman...

Old May 19th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

My first day riding on the street was more than 500 miles: West Virginia to Georgia in a day. A few months later I did Georgia to California in three days in December; adding hundreds of additional miles to take the most southerly route.

My learning experience was that cold, dry air can chap a lot more than just lips and noses. My whole chest and face were peeling for weeks! Oh, and the hot exhaust is much appreciated when your hands turn to icicles!

Last futzed with by CZroe; May 19th, 2011 at 10:44 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:21 AM   #21
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
My first day riding on the street was more than 500 miles: West Virginia to Georgia in a day. A few months later I did Georgia to California in three days in December; adding hundreds of additional miles to take the most southerly route.

My learning experience was that cold, dry air can chap a lot more than just lips and noses. My whole chest and faces was peeling for weeks! Oh, and the hot exhaust is much appreciated when your hands turn to icicles!
On the Ninjette?

Old May 19th, 2011, 10:43 AM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
On the Ninjette?
Yup. Picked it up August 3rd, 2008 and it was the first time ever being on a motorcycle except for my MSF course. I was at 680 miles on the odometer when I got it home.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #23
Bill E Bob
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 '08, '09', '11, ...

Well let's see if we can resurrect a thread. To go on a long trip, like from Ontario to BC, or 2/3 the way across Canada, one should be healthy and have a healthy bike. That's obvious. What's not in the bike-tripping books or may not come to mind is the need for chain oil about every second gas fill-up. Waxing your bike before you go will help a little cleaning up bug guts. Drinking-water and a granola bar will come in handy in very remote north western Ontario, or anywhere you might be stuck waiting for a recovery vehicle, or working on your flat tire. A few well-chosen wrenches will be needed to adjust your chain if your trip will be over a few days long. I like to wander off the beaten path, so a map and compass are really handy. ( a GPS would also do.) You should plan for being caught with the sun in your eyes early morning or late evening. Some kind of visor will be needed. My last suggestion, and there are endless possibilities, but I'll say a spare pair of gloves for after the rain storm. Happy touring.
Bill E Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 27th, 2012, 07:21 PM   #24
Bill E Bob
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250 '08, '09', '11, ...

I did this trip, Ontario to BC on an '08 ninja 250, with camping gear. A great little bike, the only complaint is that big trucks can blow you around a little. I got 330 kms to the fill-up. I changed the oil every 5000 kms, and traded the '08 for an '09 a year later. I changed the front sprocket for a 15T to get better sound and feel at 90km/h. Oh, yea, the mirrors show your elbows instead of traffic behind you.
Bill E Bob is offline   Reply With Quote