ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1
ross601
ninjette.org newbie

Name: darren

Motorcycle(s): none

new bike break in question

Ok so im looking into a brand new ninja 250 and i know the break in for the first 300 miles is gonna suck so i have a question if i keep below the recommended rpm is it possible to do the whole 300 miles in one trip? i happen to know a dealer that is just over 300 miles away and a back road that has a speed limit of 45 mph almost the entire length so my question is will this hurt the bike?
ross601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #2
kkim

could you take side streets or secondary roads to vary the rpm a bit?

have you asked the dealer if they would deliver the bike to you?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM   #3
ross601
ninjette.org newbie

Name: darren

Motorcycle(s): none

well there is a dealer thats closer however i know me and ill be switching from a katana 600 to the ninja and i have a heavy hand so i would like the get the break in out off the way within atleast the first few days so that i dont end up rev happy with a blown up new bike
ross601 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #4
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

I'm currently at 425 miles and I did not follow that 4k rpm limit for anything more than the 7 mile ride home. Where I then came across these...
(removed links: kkim's links are better)
Quote:
What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
The Short Answer: Run it Hard !
( I followed this one ).

I have no problems and the bike runs great, haven't top speed run it at all, in fact not over 70-80 so far. Redlined it a few times in 2nd/3rd, but mostly I keep it shifting at 4-8k, and cruise 6k where I can.

I'll have my bike in this week for 600mile service and will report how it shapes up
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #5
kkim

three things you should be aware of during break in. don't lug the bike heavily, don't keep the rpms constant for a long period of time, don't redline it often.

other than that, ride it like it needs to be ridden.

oh... and I like to change my oil a bit more often during break in than the recommended 600 mile first oil change.

http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Break-in
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
+1 changing the oil quickly... my first oil change had lots of metal junk in it.

as to the rpm... i'm convinced the recommended bike breakin period is more for the rider than it is the bike.

Old July 9th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #7
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

My bike has 800 miles on it now. Actually the dealer told me just try not going above 8k rpm alot. The ride home from the dealer I was doing 10k rpm on the hwy to maintain with traffic. I didn't do anything special for break in other then try not to hit redline all the time. But it was in the 8-10k range alot the first 600 miles. Actually changed my oil for the first time at 600 miles, There was no noticeable shavings in the oil .. actually looked quite clean surprisingly. Just my break in experience.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote