ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 18th, 2011, 04:37 AM   #1
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Riding in the fog

Any tips on what to do when riding through foggy conditions?

I tend to use my high beams, which still aren't all that bright, and I follow behind a car at a much slower pace than anyone else on the road with me, so I can see the cars' taillights and have a decently quick reaction time.

I'm asking because as I type this, I'm at work, sitting in the blistering cold with my jacket on for warmth (textile material isn't helping), and I can see fog developing around me. I'm getting off work in an hour and a half, so I already know I'll be riding through this fog.

Old October 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM   #2
C L
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2014 300

Don't use highbeams in fog, it'll make it even more harder to see
C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #3
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I try if possible not to ride in fog, your visor needs wiping every minute or so cloths that are not protected by the fairing become wet very quickly. Being seen by other road users is a problem as bikes do not have rear fog lights and if you had ridden in real fog you would have found that highbeam is no use in fog.

Steve

Old October 18th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #4
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Suggestions for fog riding:
  • Don't ride in the fog if you can avoid it. It is statistically the most dangerous time to be on the road by far. Wait it out or take a car if you have to go out.
  • Keep your high beams off. Fog reflects light, and the high beams only illuminate the fog while obscuring the road. Whatever you do, don't turn off your lights altogether, though, you need to be visible to other cars. Use low beams as a compromise.
  • Drive on the right side of the lane (left in the UK) farthest away from oncoming traffic. Not only will this give you more distance from oncoming cars, it will also allow you to navigate by the white fog line on the side of the road.
  • Never drive faster than you can see. If you only have 20 feet of visibility, you need to be driving slow enough that you can stop within 20 feet.
  • Leave more space between you and the car in front of you. Rear enders are the most common fog accident, and that car in front of you may go 40 to 0 instantly at any moment. 3 seconds following distance instead of normal 1 or 2 recommended.
  • Be very careful when you are stopped at left turn lane, at stop sign especially, or at side of road. Cars behind you may think you are still moving until it is too late, and be locked into your taillight as a guiding light. If you pull off the road, get WAY off the road and turn your light off. Hesitate at stop signs less than you might normally, be aware of what is behind you, and pull away a bit quicker than usual before resuming very slow, safe speeds.
  • Have a cloth handy, or a glove attached squeegie, ready to wipe down your visor. Don't stop on the road to do this. See tip above.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 18th, 2011, 08:22 AM   #5
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Suggestions for fog riding:
  • Don't ride in the fog if you can avoid it. It is statistically the most dangerous time to be on the road by far. Wait it out or take a car if you have to go out.
  • Keep your high beams off. Fog reflects light, and the high beams only illuminate the fog while obscuring the road. Whatever you do, don't turn off your lights altogether, though, you need to be visible to other cars. Use low beams as a compromise.
  • Drive on the right side of the lane (left in the UK) farthest away from oncoming traffic. Not only will this give you more distance from oncoming cars, it will also allow you to navigate by the white fog line on the side of the road.
  • Never drive faster than you can see. If you only have 20 feet of visibility, you need to be driving slow enough that you can stop within 20 feet.
  • Leave more space between you and the car in front of you. Rear enders are the most common fog accident, and that car in front of you may go 40 to 0 instantly at any moment. 3 seconds following distance instead of normal 1 or 2 recommended.
  • Be very careful when you are stopped at left turn lane, at stop sign especially, or at side of road. Cars behind you may think you are still moving until it is too late, and be locked into your taillight as a guiding light. If you pull off the road, get WAY off the road and turn your light off. Hesitate at stop signs less than you might normally, be aware of what is behind you, and pull away a bit quicker than usual before resuming very slow, safe speeds.
  • Have a cloth handy, or a glove attached squeegie, ready to wipe down your visor. Don't stop on the road to do this. See tip above.

Dead on.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 11:12 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to Riding Skills area

/lined from main sticky there

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #7
1LoneWolf
ninjette.org member

Name: R.

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I ride in the fog all the time, living in the Bay Area, which is arguably one of the foggiest places in the country. Just use common sense, don't speed, and wear reflective gear. Turn off the high, it causes glare.
1LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #8
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

I wonder if adding a strobing bicycle tail light somewhere on your or your bike would be helpful if you had to drive in the fog?

Motorcycle tail lights are pretty weak and I would think that they (and you) would disappear quickly in the fog. The bike tail lights are really bright and might help to make a driver aware of you up ahead.

Regarding them being legal, I'd rather have someone see me than get rear-ended in dense fog. I believe, bicycles are bound by the same lighting laws as motor vehicles and they can use them. Just a thought.

Example:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old October 18th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #9
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Ah, ok. Yeah, I figured it was the glare that was making riding with the highbeams on seem like a bad idea.
Thanks for the advice, folks.

Old October 18th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #10
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

Good luck riding tonight man. I was kinda sh*tting on my way home from work.

Thanks for the tips Floyd. Learned something new

Interesting point there Jeff. Has someone tried this before?
[#4]
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #11
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

When i was driving home from sacramento at night a while ago with my girlfriend, It was so foggy i couldnt see like 10 feet ahead I had to go by the dividing reflectors. There was two harley ridders big boys i was scared for them i was only able to hear them. :S

Old October 19th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #12
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
I wonder if adding a strobing bicycle tail light somewhere on your or your bike would be helpful if you had to drive in the fog?

Motorcycle tail lights are pretty weak and I would think that they (and you) would disappear quickly in the fog. The bike tail lights are really bright and might help to make a driver aware of you up ahead.

Regarding them being legal, I'd rather have someone see me than get rear-ended in dense fog. I believe, bicycles are bound by the same lighting laws as motor vehicles and they can use them. Just a thought.
Jeff, this is one of the reasons I installed an LED rear tail light with a modulator for my ninjette. Awesome upgrade that I think really improves safety. Apply the brake, and I get automatic flashing. CThunder-Blue, a member here and a good guy to work with (www.modmy250.com) sells a very nice brake light modulator that is plug and play. Probably my favorite mod, as it is the only one I can say actually makes me safer rather than faster or better looking.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2011, 06:43 AM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I had to go home from work in San Diego in 0% visibility fog several times. Condensation would also accumulate and stick to the face shield. I learned NOT to keep my shield cracked open or else it would condense on my glasses too! To clear my shield I could usually just turn my head sideways each direction for several seconds and the condensation would bead up and fly off.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I had to go home from work in San Diego in 0% visibility fog several times. Condensation would also accumulate and stick to the face shield. I learned NOT to keep my shield cracked open or else it would condense on my glasses too! To clear my shield I could usually just turn my head sideways each direction for several seconds and the condensation would bead up and fly off.
Yep, the condensation collecting on my glasses is a problem for me, too.

Hey, Jeff, that's awesome. I'm most likely going to look into that, too!

Old October 19th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #15
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

You have to just use common sense with regard to the highbeams. I will use them in fog, as long as its not too dense. Sometimes it will help light up the reflective road signs and such, so that you can see them from longer distances, thus giving you a better idea of where the road is. This will also increase your visibility to other drivers, as they will see your "sphere of light" (aura) much better when going over hills or around turns. But by all means, if your visibility is worsened by them, turn the hi's off. Again, common sense.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #16
JeffM
Mr. 988

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Jeff, this is one of the reasons I installed an LED rear tail light with a modulator for my ninjette. Awesome upgrade that I think really improves safety. Apply the brake, and I get automatic flashing.
True and an upgrade I have been thinking of adding. However, I was thinking of the bicycle light in addition to the brake light and on continuous flash mode. Just to get you noticed in a thick patch of fog.

Old March 31st, 2015, 10:48 AM   #17
chemist
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 600 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffM View Post
True and an upgrade I have been thinking of adding. However, I was thinking of the bicycle light in addition to the brake light and on continuous flash mode. Just to get you noticed in a thick patch of fog.
Wow! that is a really good idea. I have gotten my fair share of foggy mornings already and I do just go A LOT slower but biggest fear has been getting rear ended. I have more than enough bike lights that I can use for those foggy days, thanks.
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2015, 11:41 AM   #18
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
i wonder if regularly riding in the fog allows too much condensation in the engine.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 31st, 2015, 12:48 PM   #19
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
i wonder if regularly riding in the fog allows too much condensation in the engine.
Nah, the only difference between riding in fog and riding on a humid day is that the fog is composed of condensed water droplets rather than water vapor. Anything that makes it into the combustion chamber (which shouldn't be much anyway) will very quickly evaporate.

Old April 30th, 2015, 04:34 AM   #20
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

Try Philips Weather Vision 2900K Ultimate Yellow Light. - One of the best quality Halogen Bulbs available
ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 05:56 AM   #21
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

I just installed some brighter, larger eagle eye leds under my front cowling. Intended purpose is for cages to see more a little better, however I'm interested in how they will help in fog. First set I had were only 1.5W each, New ones are 4.5W each. While riding at night they definitely create a nice light patch that extends about 15 to 20 feet to the front and about 6 to 8 feet to each side. I will try to get pics posted up lights in nighttime and daytime. Which on a completely random note, my last sentence just reminded me of this......

LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #22
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Zombie alert

Old May 2nd, 2015, 10:08 AM   #23
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Only have night shot so far, camera had trouble with glare. I do have the led's angled down so they won't blind people, plus the cowling acts as a shield once an on coming car gets close enough. The first set i had lasted over two years, and were still working and were even China made crap. New ones are American made and the whole setup only cost about $12 including the splice connectors and metal for the mounts i made.

20150430_205304~2.jpg

20150430_205136~2.jpg
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2015, 10:14 AM   #24
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

I rode through some pretty thick fog on my way to work this morning. I just rode slower than normal, kept a larger following distance, and used my low beam. I have green LED strips under my tail that light my back end up pretty nicely. I've noticed that even in normal conditions cagers don't follow me as closely since I put them back there.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote