ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 24th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
kkim

DIY- Corbin seat install

Come on... you guys need a DIY for a seat install??? Come to find out, you just might.

Check the post office and this is what I see.

Read the message they print on the box about not using a buck knife to open the box. Must have had some problems in the past.

-015.jpg

Open the box and there it sits (no pun intended).

-016.jpg

take it out and it's nicely wrapped in plastic.

-017.jpg

TA DA!!! Looks very well made and surprisingly a bit heavier than expected.... no, I didn't weigh it.

-018.jpg -019.jpg

To install, remove the side panels

-020.jpg

Remove the allen bolts along with the washers holding the seat, one on each side.

-021.jpg

Some shots of the stock and Corbin side by side...

-022.jpg -023.jpg

The new seat mounts a bit different than the stocker. No mounting instructions are given so you gotta kind of figure it out as you go.

The back portion of the new seat has two elongated rubber snubs. These do not go in the holes the stock seat uses, but under the bracket that the 4 hex bolts are bolted into.

-024.jpg

The front uses metal brackets held onto the seat pan with 2-10mm bolts on each side. When I first tried mounting the seat, these did not line up. I slightly loosened the bolts and positioned the seat so I could insert the bolts that hold the seat to the bike, then took the seat back off and retightened the 10mm bolts. After that, things lined up pretty well, but to get mine to line up so the bolt could be inserted, I had to press down on the seat once inserted into place to get it completely lined up. Corbin uses some rubber standoffs in the front that need to be compressed a bit to get the holes lined up.

Also, the stock bolt had a washer on it... you do not need to use that washer.. in fact, it won't fit in the hole of the metal bracket.

-025.jpg

couple of shots with the seat mounted to the bike and a pic of the washer to leave out.

-026.jpg -027.jpg

And the bike buttoned back up.

-028.jpg -029.jpg -030.jpg

Just sitting on it, it strikes you how wide it is and is a bit harder to reach the ground because your legs seem to be splayed out. The seat is a lot flatter and wider than the stock seat. I know the seat is a bit shorter than the stock seat, but with it making you place your legs wider apart, the seat's lower profile seems negated when you are holding the bike up, like at a stop.

When in the riding position, however, the seat feels flatter, broader and much easier to move around on. The seat cushioning foam is also very firm, but I have heard these seats break in with time.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:17 AM   #2
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

It has been awhile. How much has the seat broken in? Does it still feel wide? I can't have anything rob my height too much.

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:28 AM   #3
kkim

It's a lot more comfy now and has taken on the shape of my behind. The seat still feels a bit wide at the thighs, where it meets the tank, but it has gotten better over time. I do believe, if you do have an issue with it when you receive it from Corbin, you can send it back to them for reshaping. Try calling them and see if that service is free.

In all, I highly recommend the change as the seat is flatter and wider to support your bottom making it feel much better than the stock seat and it's much easier to slide side to side while cornering.

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:29 AM   #4
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

thanks!

Old November 30th, 2008, 12:37 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I do believe, if you do have an issue with it when you receive it from Corbin, you can send it back to them for reshaping.
Time for a roadtrip down to Hollister, CA. Corbin builds the seat for you while you wait, and you keep asking them to add or shave foam until it's perfect, then they put the cover on. And also they cover a free meal at the in-house diner while you wait. We've had several other seats built there with great results, though we still have the stocker on the ninjette right now.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #6
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

kelly,

does the corbin still angle forward like the stocker? sometimes with the way the stock seat is angled, i slide forward and it hurts "the region between my legs".

also, if you don't mind my asking, what is your inseam and are you still able to stand flat foot?

when i bought my bike, i told myself i would keep it stock. um, yeah, that isn't working out too well so far.

edit: oh, also did you end up getting the leather? and if so, how is it holding up? just that to me it seems that a leather seat that gets rained on is not a good idea.... yet that is the one they recommend getting.

thanks my cyberspace mentor!
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #7
kkim

Gary,

The Corbin is much flatter and wider than the stock seat. I didn't like the stock seat at all because it was so hard and pushed you forward and definitely crowded the "boys" against the tank.

The Corbin is not so hard, but it is still firm, but it does break in with time and sort of conforms to your butt after awhile. As mentioned in the DIY, you sit a bit lower, but the front edges where it meets the tank is a bit wider than stock and you can feel the front edges of the seat on your inner thighs when you are at a stop and have your feet on the ground. When you are riding, it's a non issue. If it bothers you after you get it, you can send it back to them for reshaping, free of charge. You pay for shipping, IIRC. I learned to live with it and it's not even noticeable to me anymore.

My inseam is 28-29" and with the Corbin I am able to reach the ground a bit easier than the stock seat. Not flat footed, though... but improved.

I dunno what material it's made of... whatever the default is on their seat for this bike. I just ordered the first thing that popped up and didn't bother mixing and/or matching thinking of possible resale down the line. I think the top is a faux carbon fiber and the sides are leather. I've had no problems with it getting wet and wash it like any other part of the bike when wash the entire bike. It's held up well and is a very high quality piece.

After owning it about a year now, I can heartily recommend if you are looking for a more comfortable seat for your bike, this is it. The flat seat base allows you to slide around easily in the corners, too.

sorry to blow your budget, but quality stuff is always worth it. This is one of those items I have been very happy with and the dollars spent don't seem to matter much anymore when I go for a ride.

Old February 4th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #8
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

For Corbin seats. One for baby ninja is really nice, we went with carbon/carbon. Have seen some real nice color combos on other bn's, but like Kelly mentioned. Might limit the sale, if you try and sell your mods down the road.

Theres a few states that Corbin charges sales tax to, so I would shop around for a better price if you live in one of them(if you plan on buying direct from corbin). Also these others cant list prices on there web site, so call one of your favorites
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The shape of Corbin seats is variable. I'm sure they have a stock shape that they put together for most mail-order buyers. But if you want the seat to do a certain thing (lean you forward more, lean you back more, wider at the front, narrower at the front, shaped to crunch the boys a little less against the tank), all of those things are fully customizable. It's not easy to do it sending it back and forth, so you hope that they can get it right the first time, but definitely talk with them before just ordering the standard "2008 ninja 250" seat from them, or another Corbin reseller. Best way to go about it is to ride your bike in and have them make the seat for your bike right in front of you so you can test it in process to make sure it's exactly what you want. But that only works if Hollister, CA is within riding distance.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

can anyone comment on how the leather seat is holding up? fading? the default seat seems to be carbon fiber leather with vinyl sides.

the website even recommends removing the seat prior to washing. doesn't make sense, because there are all that wiring under the seat.

might be better to get vinyl. idk. they do say that the leather will conform to the butt better though.

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

All of my Corbins (4 of them at this point) have been the carbon-look leather covering. 2 of them I got with the black vinyl side area, but 2 of them I had them do the sides in that same carbon-look leather as well. The leather holds up fine for years, just use conditioner every once in awhile, especially after it gets wet, and it will be as durable as anything else on the bike. I always left them on when washing the bike.

Old February 4th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #12
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

great! that is all i needed to hear. gonna place my order now. thanks.

Old February 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #13
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound Wave View Post
great! that is all i needed to hear. gonna place my order now. thanks.
You wont be disapointed, the material is way better than the stock seat. Oldest Corbin I have is like 3 years old..... never put anything on it(other than my rear) and it still looks like new

Old February 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #14
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
You wont be disapointed, the material is way better than the stock seat. Oldest Corbin I have is like 3 years old..... never put anything on it(other than my rear) and it still looks like new
is yours leather too? or vinyl?

i ordered the leather carbon fiber top with the neoprene-ish sides.

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #15
HKr1
IC2(SW)

leather, isnt that all they sell?

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:29 AM   #16
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Quote:
leather, isnt that all they sell?
glad to hear that it holds up that well.

no, they sell vinyl as well... but if you don't specify, they will just send you the carbon fiber leather top with the asphault sides.
http://www.corbin.com/materials/pu_index.html

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #17
HKr1
IC2(SW)

I thought the asphault was leather too, just looking different. We did the carbon/carbon since I was happy with the other seat.

Cant get to Corbin site from work computer to look, got them locked out. Dont want you buying seats durring working hours

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #18
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

yeah, our filter at work is pretty aggressive too. i am still at home. i start at 8 today, so i gotta leave the house at 745-750 ish. i wonder if i should have ordered the carbon/carbon. oh well.

here is a description from that link about the asphault:
Quote:
Asphalt Vinyl An interesting rough texture pattern that gives good traction and visually a nice contrast. We partner this with Carbon-Fiber seating a lot. Available only in black (just like real asphalt).

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #19
kkim

Gary, that's the combo I have.

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #20
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

kelly, the carbon/asphault?

yeah, i figured i would just go with the standard combo. sounds like the asphault thing will be good to help with grip. for a while, i considered getting brown leather. brown seat/black bike sounds kind of good.

hopefully mine will be here by next sunday. i am going riding with a couple friends.

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:30 AM   #21
kkim

cool... where are you planning to go riding?

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #22
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

idk. going to leave it up to one of friends that i haven't ridden with yet. he has been riding for many years so hopefully he knows some good areas.

doesn't really matter to me. i just wanna ride!

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:28 AM   #23
kkim

Just be careful if you go riding toward wailua... that road that everyone crashes. it can be tricky if you aren't very experienced or take some of those corners too fast. Not much room for error on that road.

If the SF gets up and running to Kauai, come on over with the bike and we can go riding here. Lot less cars to deal with.

Have fun, ride safe.

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #24
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

thanks for the heads up. i vaguely remember a fun stretch of road that was really curvy and shaded with trees. it was in the north shore area, but i don't think it was towards kaena point direction. not sure.

i just got an email from corbin saying that it will take 3-4 weeks to produce. nice oh well. something to look forward to.

i hope you are serious about the invite, because i plan on taking you up on it one day. that video of yours looks really fun!

Old February 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #25
kkim

I'm serious... if the SF ever gets their act together, bring the bike over to Kauai and we'll ride. Invitation is open even if you ship your bike through YB, but that is such a hassle.

yeah, that back way to wailua. I know a few 250 riders that have lost it on that road.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Blue Monkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Can't wait

I just ordered my corbin seat today. It was my birthday present. I can't wait to get it but they said it would be like 3-4 weeks. Thanks again for the DIY kkim.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM   #27
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

they told me 3-4 weeks also. i think i got it in 1 1/2 weeks. btw, happy birthday!

Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #28
kkim

Happy Birthday, Blue Monkey. You couldn't buy your butt a better present.

So Gary, now that you have your seat, your impressions?

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM   #29
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

well, i was expecting that i was going to sit on it and think, "wow!!!! this is so comfortable"

in that respect, i am disappointed. it still slides me towards the gas tank, although not as bad as before. on the plus side, it has a larger seating area, so i do find that i don't need to shift around as much because of pressure sores. to be fair, i have only had it for a couple hundred miles, so it hasn't had a chance to mold to my butt yet. will hold off my final verdict for a few more months.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #30
kkim

lol... yeah it doesn't seem very plush at first, but then you realize your ass doesn't hurt after each and every ride like it did w/ the stock seat.

like you said, give it some time and I'm sure you'll grow to appreciate it more and more as the miles accumulate. also, the flatter seating area allows you to slide side to side very easily when cornering.

do you feel like it makes the seat height any shorter than the stock seat?

Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:11 PM   #31
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
short inquiring minds want to know!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:39 PM   #32
Blue Monkey
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Thanks for the birthday wishes Gary and kkim. Kkim's comment made me laugh. I hope my seat only takes 10 days or so like Gary's. I was a little disappointed to hear Gary's review of the new seat. I hope it does get better with time. Anything has to be better than the stock seat. I will give my review when the time comes. The db windscreen is next on my list once my friend gives me my winnings from fantasy football. Just doing what I can to help the economy. Yeah, I get to ride to work tomorrow, finally.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #33
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Quote:
lol... yeah it doesn't seem very plush at first, but then you realize your ass doesn't hurt after each and every ride like it did w/ the stock seat.

like you said, give it some time and I'm sure you'll grow to appreciate it more and more as the miles accumulate. also, the flatter seating area allows you to slide side to side very easily when cornering.

well, it looks shorter. but my initial impression was that since i had to widen my stance a bit, i wasn't able to flat foot it as easily... i don't notice that anymore. i think i am just getting used to the seat... idk. i would throw the stock seat back on and go for a ride to see what the difference is, but i got it in a public storage unit and i am too lazy to go get it.

i know the progression will be so subtle that i won't be able to tell a difference day-to-day, but somewhere down the road i will realize how much better it is than the stock seat.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:39 PM   #34
HKr1
IC2(SW)

^ Wheres the pic of you new seat. Bummer you dont like it........

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM   #35
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Quote:
^ Wheres the pic of you new seat. Bummer you dont like it........
i don't have any close up pics of it, but here is one i posted in another thread. i got the rider and passenger seats.

it is not that i don't like it. just not the huge initial difference i thought there would be. like i was saying, as it molds to my butt, i am sure it will feel better. i can already feel that i don't have to shift around as much to remain comfortable.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:08 PM   #36
kayfouroh
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250-F

I want to get a Corbin seat for my 01 EX250 but I am totally not sure of all of the color options you get to decide with. I don't want to order a 300$ seat and not like what it looks like since they can't give me an idea what it should come like..
kayfouroh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:11 PM   #37
kkim

call them and ask if you have questions.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:25 PM   #38
kayfouroh
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 2001 EX250-F

That's too obvious
kayfouroh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:46 PM   #39
kkim

you would be surprised.

I called them before I ordered to make sure all the questions I had were answered, so I could make an informed decision. This is an expensive purchase... make sure you know exactly what you're shelling out for before you buy it. The Corbin people were a bit hard to get ahold of, but once you were through, they were very helpful and courteous to do business with.

Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:52 PM   #40
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

I found the Corbin to be better than stock but not perfect. The stock seat had the sliding forward problem which the Corbin does not. Once the foam molds to you that pretty much stops the sliding. I still find myself squirming about after an hour or so. I rode from Baltimore to Gettysburg and back one day and was REALLY ready to get off the bike at the end of the ride.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gettysburg_sm1.jpg (125.7 KB, 32 views)
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote