View Full Version : Official 2013 Ninja 300 (and 250) Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

Bristecom
September 15th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I so wish they would have done this for the colors:

Non-ABS: ($4800)

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_LIM_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_BLK_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_WHT_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_RED_RF.jpg

ABS Special Edition: ($5500)

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250M_LIM2_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_BLK2_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250M_RED2_RF.jpg

Who wouldn't be happy with this?

Boom King
September 15th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Don't really like the last red scheme although I thought that was only for the new 250R. The grey moondust metallic wouldn't be my preference but I would have to see it in person before I deemed if it was tolerable or not. Would've also liked to see a nice blue as a solid colour choice as well.

Bristecom
September 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Don't really like the last red scheme although I thought that was only for the new 250R. The grey moondust metallic wouldn't be my preference but I would have to see it in person before I deemed if it was tolerable or not. Would've also liked to see a nice blue as a solid colour choice as well.

I actually like the SE red/white probably most of all. I mean, I'd be just as happy with solid red in ABS but if Kawi has to milk me another $200 for stickers, I'd be OK with that red/white one. But you're right, they only show that one being offered for the 250 but they are the exact same shapes either way so I don't see why not. And yeah, I'm not sure about the black/grey but I'd still prefer any of those colors over the SE green! Even Canada is getting 2 ABS color options so I don't see why they can't add another one for the US.

Boom King
September 15th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Here's the french review of the Ninja 300 (http://www.moto-station.com/article14637-kawasaki-ninja-300-une-mini-sportive-pas-que-pour-les-debutants-.html). Google translate is your friend.

Some highlights of the review:

- Taking it out on the Autobahn, their test rider got up to indicated 177 km/h. GPS verified at 174 km/h. A lighter rider should be able to reach 185 km/h by their assumption

- Little noticeable engine vibration at 150 km/h

- Around town, torque is noticeable from 4000 rpm

- Softer clutch action than the 2012 250R

- Handling is still agile; tested around the country forest roads of Germany; remained confident over bumps

- They would have like a more progressive braking feel and of course, they did not like the stock IRC tires

Bristecom
September 15th, 2012, 01:00 PM
(I accidently posted this in the wrong thread so I'm reposting it here)

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_LIM_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_BLK_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_WHT_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_RED_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250M_LIM2_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250L_BLK2_RF.jpg

http://www.kawasaki-cp.khi.co.jp/mcy/street/images/13my/gallery/13EX250M_RED2_RF.jpg

Bristecom
September 15th, 2012, 01:05 PM
There is a red 300... in Canada. We miss out on the white though :mad:

The ABS version here is available in either solid ebony or what's called metallic moondust grey...

Hey bud, maybe we can trade each other one day. I buy a white one, you buy an ebony ABS and I give you $500 on top of that, and we trade. :D

I won't be getting one until next spring or summer though.

BTW, thanks for the translation on that video. :thumbup:

thurt88
September 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Well, just put a deposit down to get a white one on the first order. It was 5100.00 otd non abs.

n4mwd
September 15th, 2012, 02:19 PM
(I accidently posted this in the wrong thread so I'm reposting it here)

Seriously? No blue one? Have they gone off the deep end?

:eek:

n4mwd
September 15th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Remember that the high max hp numbers quoted on the '88 model are at the top end of the rpm range. That means they sacrificed usable midrange for top end power.

The 08+ model has more mid-range grunt than the 88-07 model. It's noticeable when you ride them back to back.

The '13 model has a lower red line and larger displacement, so while it will likely only make about 32 rwhp at peak, it will have more midrange grunt. This is the same argument for the 636, albeit a little different on the proportions (50 vs 250 compared to 36 vs 600). More displacement means that they can make the bike a liiiiiittle less high strung, get a little better top end, and a little better mid range. That sounds like an improvement to me. Don't forget that it has better suspension and tire options than any pregen had, so it's going to be faster around a road course, which is where these bikes really shine.

I would really like to see a dyno on the 300. With a top speed of only 110 mph, its obvious they have made some serious sacrifices to get that low end torque. But I really don't buy the "low end torque is better" argument. after all, that is the same argument people used to compare the CBR 250 to the Newgen. Here is low end torque in action:

IvCarbUP7ZI

The CBR250 bolts across the starting line, gets about 100 feet down the track, and then the newgen blasts past him and never looks back. Both bikes are exactly the same CC's. Typical cruisers usually have even more low end torque. My pregen has most of its power in the higher end, but that's OK, I have a gearbox.

Boom King
September 15th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hey bud, maybe we can trade each other one day. I buy a white one, you buy an ebony ABS and I give you $500 on top of that, and we trade. :D

Oh man, don't tempt me haha.

I love the 300 so far but we're still awaiting word on Canadian MSRP. Unfortunately, even though our dollar does slightly better against the Yen than the USD, we get seriously shafted up here on prices. I'm guessing it's going to be around $5499 for the non ABS 300. I could probably get a used 2011 400R for about the same or less or a used 2009 650R for not too much more than that.

Bristecom
September 15th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Oh man, don't tempt me haha.

I love the 300 so far but we're still awaiting word on Canadian MSRP. Unfortunately, even though our dollar does slightly better against the Yen than the USD, we get seriously shafted up here on prices. I'm guessing it's going to be around $5499 for the non ABS 300. I could probably get a used 2011 400R for about the same or less or a used 2009 650R for not too much more than that.

Yeah, that's true. I wonder why our prices are always lower even though our dollar is weaker...

choneofakind
September 15th, 2012, 04:16 PM
I would really like to see a dyno on the 300.

Same.

With a top speed of only 110 mph, its obvious they have made some serious sacrifices to get that low end torque.

Last time I checked, the top speed for a 250 was around 100, and many new-gen owners complain of only being able to take a stock bike to mid-high 90's. 110 sounds like an improvement.

But I really don't buy the "low end torque is better" argument.

Ride a 650 twin. It's a beast in turns because it has torque all the way through the mid range, and can really drive all the way through turns. It can also lay down the grunt after the turn, no matter how short the straight away is. Lots of mid range torque.

Here is low end torque in action

Dude, a drag race? No foolin the 250 is going to walk away. Drag races are all about the top end, because you end up at the top of your rpm range at top speed; you're never IN the midrange.

Watch this video and you'll see that the CBR250R (number 211) is gaining hard on every turn. In fact, the CBR has to slow down just past apex on most turns. The ninja pulls away at every straight, but the cibber catches up on every turn. Here is low end torque in action:
amD1RnzN-2w

Head to a track. You'll see that the SV1000's are getting massive drive out of the turns compared to the 1000 cc supersports, but the SV's are not as fast on the straights. Same thing that happens in the 250 class between the cibber and ninja

Sport bikes like turning. Using a drag race as a comparison is not a true comparison.

Jatan
September 15th, 2012, 06:08 PM
They update colors each year so releasing all those at the same time isnt worth it for them

For 2013 its white, black, and green

2014 will probably still have a black and a green (they'll probably change it a little by adding vinyl) and maybe a red or blue instead of the white

n4mwd
September 15th, 2012, 06:32 PM
So what was the guy riding that shot the majority of the video from his rear facing camera?

The pregen top speed is around 105 - 110 indicated. We don't know if the 300 speed of 110 is indicated or GPS. However, given the capabilities of the 650, I expected more.

The CBR250R top speed was something like 80-90 last I checked. Not something I would want.

http://images.motorcycle-usa.com/PhotoGallerys/11_cbr250_ninja250.jpg

Anyhow, I predict the 300 is going to be a disappointment. I think if I ever go bigger, its going to be a 650. At least that way I can put those smug corvette drivers in their place.

subxero
September 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM
was planning on picking up my brand new 250 this week thought i had everything figured out...but no gotta throw a wrench into my plans. I really like the way the 300 looks and some of the additional features, I will talk with the dealer on Monday, If they can get me a 300 by sometime Nov. at a decent price I think i'm in. But on the other end i will try and talk some bills off of the 250 price as well and see how it all goes.

Should be interesting

choneofakind
September 15th, 2012, 09:05 PM
So what was the guy riding that shot the majority of the video from his rear facing camera?

A ninja 250R! It's a 250 race class, and the camera bike looks and sounds like a 250.

The pregen top speed is around 105 - 110 indicated. We don't know if the 300 speed of 110 is indicated or GPS. However, given the capabilities of the 650, I expected more.

Look at it this way. The 250 puts out roughly half the power of a 650. Speed and power are related by a square function; to double your speed takes 4 times the power. This means that a 650, with 2x the power, should go roughly 1.4 times as fast as a 250. If a 250 tops out around 100, which it does, that means the 650 tops out around 140, which it doesn't do. From reading, it tops out around 125-130. Looks like the 650 is not as capable as you think it is.

Adding 50cc to the 250 isn't really going to do a ton for top speed. I think you're expecting a bit much. I would expect the stock 300 to top out where a race-modded 250R tops out; right around 100-105. It will have more torque the whole way there.

Anyhow, I predict the 300 is going to be a disappointment. I think if I ever go bigger, its going to be a 650. At least that way I can put those smug corvette drivers in their place.

I respectfully disagree. I think beginners are always looking to go as big as their sanity will allow them. I think and extra 50 cc's will be enticing because there will be less perceived "rapid boredom" with the bike. Look at how successful the 636 was, and how excited people are to see it come back this year. I'm excited to see progress in the small bike market. You just seem kinda jealous and ready to not give this bike a fair shot.

Jiggles
September 15th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Question, How hard must I stroke my 250 to make it a 300?

I think I read that the 250 and the 300 are the same engine block right? But kawi worked some magic so that the stroke shaft (what?) is shorter which in turn allowed for a longer stroke (yea baby)? Possible to convert current 250s to that?

Jiggles
September 15th, 2012, 10:57 PM
My 650 topped out at 127mph on a flat road at 3am

n4mwd
September 16th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Question, How hard must I stroke my 250 to make it a 300?

I think I read that the 250 and the 300 are the same engine block right? But kawi worked some magic so that the stroke shaft (what?) is shorter which in turn allowed for a longer stroke (yea baby)? Possible to convert current 250s to that?

Sorry to say this publicly, but your 250 is too small and will never make a 300.

Forget about engine internals. Just wait for a 300 engine to show up on ebay and swap it out. There is a good chance it will fit. You just need to upgrade the EFI to 32mm and ride off.

n4mwd
September 16th, 2012, 06:45 AM
My 650 topped out at 127mph on a flat road at 3am

Try putting alcohol free gas in it and try it again at 3pm when its hot and the air is less dense.

A ninja 250R! It's a 250 race class, and the camera bike looks and sounds like a 250.

I agree, you can tell by the Kawi green seen in the corner. That's where CBR250s all end up - in the rear view mirror of a Ninja.

Look at it this way. The 250 puts out roughly half the power of a 650. Speed and power are related by a square function; to double your speed takes 4 times the power. This means that a 650, with 2x the power, should go roughly 1.4 times as fast as a 250. If a 250 tops out around 100, which it does, that means the 650 tops out around 140, which it doesn't do. From reading, it tops out around 125-130. Looks like the 650 is not as capable as you think it is.

I think the formula you are looking for is:

Pn = (CdAv^3)/146625

Where Pn is the required HP, Cd = Coefficient of drag, A = frontal Area in square feet, v = velocity in mph.

For a sport bike, I get a Cd of 0.6 and an area of 6 sq ft.
So for the HP required at the wheel for various speeds is:

30mph = 0.7 hp
60 mph = 5.3 hp
70 mph = 8.4 hp
100 mph = 24.5 hp
110 mph = 32.7 hp
120 mph = 42.4 hp
130 mph = 54 hp
150 mph = 83 hp

There are other factors such as bearings, tires, etc. Rider weight is not a factor, but rider size is. The HP from this formula is to maintain the speed and not to accelerate to it.

Several modified 250s have made it to 120 mph (Using nitrous).

Regarding the Ninja 300R, I think the price tag is going to drive a lot of new riders to the CBR 250. In the UK, new riders are apparently limited to 250cc so Kawasaki clearly shot off their own foot with that one. Its possible that they will reintroduce the 250 to US and UK markets next year.

EDIT: Ok, several people have said that the UK doesn't have a 250cc restriction as I had believed. Please disregard.

Boom King
September 16th, 2012, 07:57 AM
In the UK, new riders are apparently limited to 250cc so Kawasaki clearly shot off their own foot with that one.

No they didn't. If anything, Kawasaki's move to add 50cc is to take advantage of the new rules effective January 2013 in the UK and EU.

You and others who have pointed it out, make a valid point about the price tag. Obviously, this being a Kawasaki forum, most opinions will be somewhat partial for the Ninja and against the CBR. I believe the 300 will do well but there's no way it will recapture all of the market share it lost from Honda and its CBR250R. It may reclaim some of it, but not all.

I read an article where it stated that the CBR250R has captured more than half of the Ninja's market share in the US since its introduction. Honda motorcycle sales are up 39% Q1 2012 compared to same quarter 2011 in North America. Some of that increase according to Honda is in part due to the CBR250R. I'm sure part of the appeal of the CBR250R is due to its lower price relative to the Ninja. Still, to me, if I were looking at a brand new small displacement "sport bike", no question I'd go for the Ninja.

choneofakind
September 16th, 2012, 08:56 AM
in the rear view mirror of a Ninja.

There were only 4 Ninjas ahead of him in that race. You saw the whole field at the starting line, it was pretty big. I'd say that cibber/rider did very well. Torque is fast in turns. Again, look at my SV1000 vs GSXR1000 example. Same idea.

Several modified 250s have made it to 120 mph (Using nitrous).

A highly modified 250R is your reference point?? Really? Of course a bike can hit a higher speed if someone who knows what they're doing with engines works on it. But that is not a good reference point for gauging the ability of a new bike being a failure or not. Kawasaki didn't make that 250 hit 120, Racer x did. I'm sure you could modify the crap out of a Civic and make it hit 160, but that doesn't mean that a stock Civic Si is an incapable heap of crap; that's not a fair comparison.

A stock 250 hits about 100. You can't argue that. A stock 300 will likely hit a slightly higher speed, because it has a little more power. Again, I emphasize slightly, because we're looking at 32-ish rwhp vs 26 rwhp. Expect a stock 300 to have a similar top end to that of a 250R with a full exhaust and proper jetting. (about 100-105)

In the UK, new riders are apparently limited to 250cc so Kawasaki clearly shot off their own foot with that one.

The UK and EU changed their laws a while back, starting in 2013. The UK riders have been excited about it. Kawasaki did themselves a lot of good by now being the most powerful bike a beginner is allowed to ride, and it has the most features of any as well. It's going to be just as big of a hit in the rest of the world as it's going to be in America, where the "bigger is better" philosophy is taken to heart.

I'm not sure why you have such a vendetta against Kawasaki's redesign, to the point where you're trashing it and refusing to give it a fair try.

Boom King
September 16th, 2012, 09:16 AM
The 300 hit 174 km/h (108 mph) on the GPS when they took it on the Autobahn. The rider was not in full tuck. The 300 test rider feels it should hit 185 km/h (115 mph) with a lighter pilot. On the 250R, even the lightest riders, full tuck with tailwind often struggle to get it to the century mark.

n4mwd
September 16th, 2012, 10:25 AM
I'm not sure why you have such a vendetta against Kawasaki's redesign, to the point where you're trashing it and refusing to give it a fair try.

I'm not sure where you are getting that from. Kawasaki engineers are geniuses. Its their marketing department that I have doubts about. If the 300 proves to get superior MPG to the pregen, I may change my mind about it. But the reality is that at this point in time, we are still waiting for the independent data to trickle in.

I have heard rumors that the Ninja 300 MPG is 61 mpg. But I haven't found any confirmation from a reliable source. If true, its not bad, but no match for a properly running pregen getting 70 mpg.

As far as the extra HP of the 300, I don't deny one bit that it is more than the 250. Nor do I deny that the stock 300 can outrun a stock 250.

But what you are not getting is that unless the MPG proves awesome, there is no incentive for me to get one. I can already outrun and out accelerate most cars on the road with the pregen. The 300 will add a few more to the list. A 650 would pretty much cream all of them. But you seem to be saying that spending $5K just to add maybe 10 cars to the list that I can out accelerate is acceptable. No thanks. If I really want to cream all those smug corvette drivers, I can get a used 650 for under $5K any day of the week.

I don't do racing at the track, but don't they require everyone to have the same CC's? That is, they don't allow zx-10's to race against 49cc vespas. Or 300 cc ninjas to race 250 cc ninjas? Who else makes a 300cc bike right now??

Jiggles
September 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM
54 hp for 130? Yea, sure bud

n4mwd
September 16th, 2012, 10:31 AM
54 hp for 130? Yea, sure bud

That's a fact. Its the HP required to maintain 130 mph. You will learn about these formulas once you take physics.

choneofakind
September 16th, 2012, 10:36 AM
The benefit of the newer ninjas over the pregen:

Tire selection, suspension, and aftermarket support

Jiggles
September 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM
That's a fact. Its the HP required to maintain 130 mph. You will learn about these formulas once you take physics.

So my 650 in the power band wasn't making 54 hp? Your formula is wrong

rusninja
September 16th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Isnt aerodynamics on the 300 side vs pregen

choneofakind
September 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Isnt aerodynamics on the 300 side vs pregen

Not a clue :idunno: you'd have to put each in a wind tunnel and test a bit.

The new bike might be more slicked back, but the pregen is pretty narrow, so it has a relatively small profile. Now how that applies to how much drag each bike is fighting at a given speed? Idk. Anything we have is just going to be guestimation.

Whiskey
September 16th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Regarding the Ninja 300R, I think the price tag is going to drive a lot of new riders to the CBR 250. In the UK, new riders are apparently limited to 250cc so Kawasaki clearly shot off their own foot with that one. Its possible that they will reintroduce the 250 to US and UK markets next year.

No that's never been the case, it's 125cc & 11bhp until you've done your test, then (depending on how old you are & which test you do) it's either unrestricted cc & bhp (if you're Over 21 & did the Direct Access scheme on a 500cc+ bike) or 2 years on 33bhp (unlimited cc, I've seen a restricted ZZR 1400:eek:) if you're under 21 or if you decided against the DA course.

Now it's changing to a 3 tiered system, ages are increasing & so are hp limits, but there is a new restriction coming in, no bike can be taken below half it's stated power & the middle level test is to be done on a 400 (Which I predicted would be announced this year alongside the 250)

n4mwd
September 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Not a clue :idunno: you'd have to put each in a wind tunnel and test a bit.

The new bike might be more slicked back, but the pregen is pretty narrow, so it has a relatively small profile. Now how that applies to how much drag each bike is fighting at a given speed? Idk. Anything we have is just going to be guestimation.

The main variables are the Coefficient of Drag (Cd) and frontal area. I couldn't find the actual Cd so I used the Cd for the average sport bike. To get the actual Cd, you pretty much have to use a wind tunnel. For some reason, Kawasaki hasn't published these numbers that I could find. The lower the Cd, the lower the overall wind resistance.

wayanlam
September 17th, 2012, 02:45 AM
yeah someone buy the 300, crash it (safely) and sell me the engine block for a good price please :D

ill just have to figure out how to smuggle the bugger into the country, ha ha

Pyro
September 17th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Would love to know what we're getting in South Africa.

Here we had the 250 FI already. Already confirmed we're not getting the 400.

adouglas
September 17th, 2012, 12:24 PM
The main variables are the Coefficient of Drag (Cd) and frontal area. I couldn't find the actual Cd so I used the Cd for the average sport bike. To get the actual Cd, you pretty much have to use a wind tunnel. For some reason, Kawasaki hasn't published these numbers that I could find. The lower the Cd, the lower the overall wind resistance.

True as far as it goes, but I'd humbly suggest that the biggest variable is the rider. Sit up and there's drastically more drag than when tucked. Loose, flapping clothes generate a lot of drag. Big people present much more frontal area than small people. Etc.

I have a moderate amount of experience with aerodynamics via human-powered vehicles. Wind resistance is partly Cd, but there's more to it. Focus on what's causing the drag, not the Cd number.

Near the surface of the body, there's region of flow called the "boundary layer." If it stays evenly attached to the body, then drag is low. If it separates, eddies (vortices) form and drag skyrockets. This is what happens when an airplane wing stalls.

There are two ways to keep the boundary layer attached. One is to go for laminar flow -- very, very smooth surfaces almost parallel to the flow direction. That means no seams cross-wise to the flow (even a decal can trip the layer), glass-smooth surfaces, no sharp lines or transitions. A polished egg, basically. Laminar flow is very low-drag but very delicate and easy to destroy.

The other way is to energize the layer (make it turbulent) but keep it attached. Again, no abrupt transitions, steep angles or gaps... but you create turbulence with dimples (think golf ball), vortex generators, etc. Much less sensitive than laminar flow but not as low-drag.

Once the boundary layer flow detaches from the surface of the bodywork, you might as well just have a trash can covering the frame of your bike. How it looks is unimportant if the air flowing over it is detached. The surface is effectively "invisible" to the airflow.

On a factory bike, there are so many creases, gaps, seams, ledges, edges, fasteners etc. that there's no way the boundary layer is going to stay attached past, say, the headlight and windscreen.

Fact of the matter is that as sexy as the bodywork may be, a motorcycle is pretty lousy aerodynamically. Any Cd differences between pregen, newgen and next-gen bodywork are most likely trivial in their net effect, especially when you put a rider on board.

Next time you see a squid with his T-shirt riding up his back, think about the energy that's making it happen. Where's it coming from? Answer: It's coming from vortices created by the passage of the bike through the air. Totally detached flow. They suck huge amounts of energy... and no amount of good-looking bodywork at the front or sides of the machine is going to make them go away.

To make a real difference aerodynamically, the whole thing has to be more enclosed, with a tail, top, doors...

n4mwd
September 17th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Sounds like a good argument to pass a law requiring all female riders wear tight fitting leathers in order to save fuel.:D

Anyhow, regarding dimples, didn't they prove on Mythbusters that a car with a dimpled skin is more aerodynamic than smooth skin? It was something to do with why they put dimples in golf balls.

The argument for requiring female riders to wear aerodynamic leathers is starting to look bad.

Jiggles
September 17th, 2012, 02:29 PM
They should be wearing aerodynamic leathers, with holes

n4mwd
September 17th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Ok, the dimple argument is looking better.

adouglas
September 17th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Sounds like a good argument to pass a law requiring all female riders wear tight fitting leathers in order to save fuel.:D

Anyhow, regarding dimples, didn't they prove on Mythbusters that a car with a dimpled skin is more aerodynamic than smooth skin? It was something to do with why they put dimples in golf balls.

The argument for requiring female riders to wear aerodynamic leathers is starting to look bad.

Girls with dimples are cute. And aerodynamic.

I love Mythbusters. Their methodology was sound but they would have gotten better results with smaller dimples. The boundary layer isn't that thick. Also, you don't need to bother past a certain point on the body... the flow will separate anyway. But they don't have the resources or time to go into that much detail.

Cool story about laminar flow... possibly apocryphal. When building an airplane, you can use flush rivets (smooth surface) or conventional, round-headed rivets. The latter take less work (so faster to build the plane) and cost less but cause drag. In WWII Supermarine wanted to figure out how many flush rivets they actually needed on the Spitfire, so they built a plane that was entirely flush riveted and glued thousands of dried split peas over the surface to simulate round head rivets. They then did a series of test flights, removing more and more peas starting at the wing leading edges, until they got no further improvement in handling or performance. Very clever.

thomason2wheels
September 17th, 2012, 04:52 PM
If it comes with a hot chick, I'm sold.

That particular hot chick gets my vote :D

thomason2wheels
September 17th, 2012, 06:32 PM
They should be wearing aerodynamic leathers, with holes

Women are already equipped with two aerodynamic devices an ex coworker labelled as "windsplitters" that men just dont have. :D

Jiggles
September 17th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Can also be used as emergency airbags

Aufitt
September 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
http://www.bikesales.com.au/reviews/2012/road/honda/cbr250r/honda-cbr250r-v-kawasaki-ninja-300-32492

First Aussie test, The new 300 has caught up to the Honda but not as impressive as first thought. Dammit I really wanted it to be miles better.

I only ride my cbr on the track and yes it suffers on the straight bits (like any small bike) but it really makes ground where it matters.

Got some thinking to do before changing over.

Jiggles
September 17th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Caught up to the honda? That was a bad joke

Surferboy120
September 17th, 2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.bikesales.com.au/reviews/2012/road/honda/cbr250r/honda-cbr250r-v-kawasaki-ninja-300-32492

First Aussie test, The new 300 has caught up to the Honda but not as impressive as first thought. Dammit I really wanted it to be miles better.

I only ride my cbr on the track and yes it suffers on the straight bits (like any small bike) but it really makes ground where it matters.

Got some thinking to do before changing over.

Seemed like they didnt want to knock the Honda to much. Either way Honda and Kawi will make bank on these bikes.

Aufitt
September 17th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Caught up to the honda? That was a bad joke

Honda has outsold the Ninja bigtime in Oz.
They are the same price since the introduction of the cbr early last year.

And no Ninja has ever passed me on the track days , so no joke there either.
I am looking to swap to a 300 (now that 250 production racing in my state looks like it wont happen) because I just like riding small bikes, and prefer to just go for my monthly blast in a safe environment.

If its going to be a whole lot quicker which makes it nicer for the ever closing and widening gap between the big bikes at different parts of the circuit (which becomes dangerous for all) then I'm there.. the New 300 is only $200 more than the dinosoar it replaces.

Jiggles
September 17th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I'll bet that if you rode a ninja 250 no ninja would pass you either. A superior bike won't make up for a riders lack of skill. Put two racers of equivalent skill on the cbr and ninja and the ninja will win, it's a superior bike.

Aufitt
September 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM
I'll bet that if you rode a ninja 250 no cbr would pass you down the straight either. A superior bike won't make up for a riders lack of skill. Put two racers of equivalent skill on the cbr and ninja and the ninja will win on the boring bits on a long straight, it's a superior bike over 90mph.

FIXED that for you :thumbup:

Jiggles
September 17th, 2012, 11:50 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b276/seanvoight/most%20used%20pics/Facepalm.gif

wayanlam
September 18th, 2012, 02:46 AM
^^ lolz~

lgk
September 18th, 2012, 05:50 AM
The ninja is definitely the better bike even with the old gen.

Thats not saying the cbr is bad.
The ninja is just that good

Toly
September 18th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Girls with dimples are cute. And aerodynamic.

I love Mythbusters. Their methodology was sound but they would have gotten better results with smaller dimples. The boundary layer isn't that thick. Also, you don't need to bother past a certain point on the body... the flow will separate anyway. But they don't have the resources or time to go into that much detail.

Dimples work for golf balls and other blunt shapes. They don't work for airfoils (as dimples decrease drag due to separation, at the price of increased skin friction drag)

So, dimples will work with some girls and not the others: if they're teardrop-shaped or slender, skin friction is good... if they're ball-shaped, separation is likely :thumbup:

n4mwd
September 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
So, dimples will work with some girls and not the others: if they're teardrop-shaped or slender, skin friction is good... if they're ball-shaped, separation is likely :thumbup:

So ok, hot biker chicks should wear tight leathers with holes in them and fat
chicks should go without dimples.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenNinja
September 18th, 2012, 10:44 AM
n4wmd, how did we go from talking about the new 300 to you thinking about girls in leather?

psych0hans
September 18th, 2012, 10:53 AM
n4wmd, how did we go from talking about the new 300 to you thinking about girls in leather?

It was always about the girls in leather... The 300 was just an excuse :P :thumbup: :drool:

n4mwd
September 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM
The 300 is for the fatter chicks. The hot chicks can still fit on a 250. :D

The odds are that the 300 is more aerodynamic than the newgen and newgen more aerodynamic than the pregen. That's simply saying that a better Cd is one of the things that evolves in sport bikes.

Putting a hot chick on it with tight one piece leathers and dimples just makes it go that much faster. I signed up with T-mobile too.

adouglas
September 18th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Yep, I've been thinking about girls in leather ever since I started thinking about girls.

Starting with this one.

http://overdressedandovereducated.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/therealmrspeel.png

Jiggles
September 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'd think the pregen would be the most aerodynamic considering it is the smallest

GreenNinja
September 18th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Personally I prefer them like this....

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/underworld-image-kate-beckinsale.jpg

lgk
September 18th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Personally I prefer them like this....

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/underworld-image-kate-beckinsale.jpg

i'm not opposed to vinyl:D

Kstorm21
September 18th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Anyone think, or know if any of the 08-12 stuff will fit on the 13? Like lighting stuff (tail light, turn signals)?

CZroe
September 18th, 2012, 03:33 PM
So this guy has inside sources saying it will be a 300cc bike and n4mwd has sources telling him next year the bike will be fuel injected. So basically next years 250 is going to have an MSRP of $5,999

May as well, if Yamaha and Honda are going to duke it out in $4,500-$5,000 territory: yeah. Why settle for a portion of that market when they can offer a larger bike with a larger price that largely appeals to the same buyers and may attract more? I'd estimate $5,399 base with a $500 ABS option and an additional mark up for special edition or sporty accessories (optional solo seat cowl, steering damper, adjustable suspension, etc). They'd probably hold out on the SE treatment until the second year of the new model.

Steering damper on a 250/300? Would that really be necessary? I don't think they'll add so many options to the ninjette, paying that much would defeat its most common utility: being a starter bike. It has to be simple, teach the basics effectively and safely. Spending 6k on a 300CC with ABS and steering damper would be pretty much pointless if your goal is to learn and progress to a more powerful bike eventually

It's a $900 hike for fuel injection and a 20% larger engine. Everyone estimates $500 for FI so $400 for the extra size/power isn't that far off base and may attract quite a few who might be on the fence about the CBR250 or R2.5 vs a larger bike. A lot who weren't considering a bike twice the size would still go for it because it isn't significantly larger than the other options but is measurably better. I suspect that the economies of scale for adding FI isn't as expensive as people estimate, so it may be possible to sell it for under $5,000 on the introductory year. It's not like more CCs automatically means that it cost more to make, which is even more incentive for Kawi to just do it. They already have a FI version and the economies of scale will only make it cheaper to produce than the current FI model. They could conceivably offer 300cc Euro-spec for LESS money than the current model, though it would be a problem for graduated licensing so they would more likely sell the same thing but sleeved down.

I'm just saying that it could be a smart move if the Yamaha 250 rumor is true. Also, I know the steering damper sounds silly, but so is a slipper clutch on a street bike. It's just one more way they could profit off of the perceived performance advantage it would have over the competition. And the pointlessness of it for a bike targetted at learners is exactly why I suggested that it would make sense only as an option (profit off of the few that want more).

Slipper clutch? Check.
Under $5,000 on introductory year? Check.
Accessorizing to add profit? Double-check (factory tanks bags and "engine guard" frame protectors/sliders and solo seat cowls and tank pads and sport-touring windscreens- OH MY!)

CZroe
September 18th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Anyone think, or know if any of the 08-12 stuff will fit on the 13? Like lighting stuff (tail light, turn signals)?

The tail light and front turn signals are clearly too different. You have looked at the pictures, right? ;)

I think that the wheels may fit because the swingarm looks the same, there was always room for a wider rim, and the front tire size didn't change, but that's just a guess. The little hugger might swap for the same reason. Sprocket cover looks like it may have changed a bit (fewer bolts?) but it may still swap one way, which would be cool considering that the 2012 cover actually fits a 1986 bike (pre-pregen). Sprockets, chain, air filters, etc: Dunno. The wiring harness is too different for a straight gauge swap. The handlebars and triple-tree clamps do look the same. The front fender mount may be different so the forks may have changed slightly. Windscreens and fairings obviously don't swap.

Kstorm21
September 18th, 2012, 04:15 PM
The tail light and front turn signals are clearly too different. You have looked at the pictures, right? ;)

Well, I knew the front turn signals wouldn't. I just wasn't sure about the rear and the tail light. I tried to find a close up of the 08-12 but I didn't find one. Thought I'd ask here.
I'm torn between buying a 2013 or staying with the 08-12. I was part of the group buy for the integrated tail light with LED turn signals. I was pretty sure I'd already have a bike by now....:( Plus, living in Hawaii, I could buy two used ones for the price of a new one. (they are saying 8K OTD) I do love the FI, digital guage, and ABS. Other than that it doesn't matter. I wish they had other options for the ABS bike other than the kawi green/black.

Surferboy120
September 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I thought this was a good review from someone who had ridden the 250 ninja and wasn't to impressed but was turned around by the 300. Interesting note when he said 80 to 100 mph was a breeze.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=26361

Enjoy the review.

thurt88
September 18th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks for posting the review. That's exactly what I expect to feel about it. Looking forward to it non the less.

n4mwd
September 18th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Specs:
2013 Ninja 300
Engine: 296cc, liquid-cooled parallel twin, DOHC, fuel injection
Power: 39hp @ 11,000rpm
Torque: 20ft.lb @ 10,000rpm
Top speed: 105mph (est)
Weight: 172kg (dry)
MPG: 60 (est)
Price: £4,800 (TBC)

:eek: If that MPG figure is anything close to accurate, then the 300 is a gas hog compared to others. Since this is a UK review, I'm sure they are talking about imperial gallons which makes it about 50 mpg (US). This is surprising considering the new 250 is reported to get 80 mpg. Maybe the "(est)" means they just guessed and didn't really test it.:confused:

headshrink
September 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM
How do they come up with $8K OTD?

Kstorm21
September 18th, 2012, 08:08 PM
How do they come up with $8K OTD?

Cause everything here is way more expensive. Even on the 2012 it's about 2K more than MSRP. Fees fees fees.

Alex
September 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Here's a review tonight from Gabe over on BARF. He writes for City Bike and MotorcyleDaily.com, and has always been a fan of our tiny kawis.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7561089&postcount=129

Just spent the day riding the new bike...and wow, what a difference! Skaggs Springs Road was never that much fun on a big bike. I actually dragged my knee on Hwy One, something I haven't done for years.

The new motor is so much more powerful. You can ride it like it's a bigger bike. Cruising at a GPS-verified 85 mph is no problem and the bike doesn't feel like it's straining. Top speed (GPS verified) that I saw was 103. The speedometer was very accurate, so if other journos are seeing 112, that means the bike will actually go 106 or more. Impressive for a 300!

Also impressive is the new slipper clutch, the smooth, light transmission, good wind protection, ZX-10R-ish styling, really good fuelling and a lot of other features I'll fill you in on with my Motorcycle Daily.com review.

Going to dinner now--post questions and I'll try to ask the Kawi product planners and project leader (in from Japan for this event) to get real answers.

choneofakind
September 18th, 2012, 08:54 PM
The more positive reviews I read, the more I want to look at buying one... I'm in no need of an SS, but I want something with a little better long commuting ability, but can still shred; without being excessively expensive/overkill for me/flashy.

I wouldn't mind something new for once either :rolleyes: All this thing seems to need is sticky tires and a few odds and ends.

Alex
September 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM
/merged the two main "2013 ninjette" threads. We can have multiple threads about different topics around the 2013 (pricing, colors, tech stuff, why it will fail, why it will succeed, when can I buy one, who has bought one, etc.) But this is the main reference thread for most random discussions about the new bike that don't fit anywhere else.

n4mwd
September 18th, 2012, 09:03 PM
You might want to take a look at this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJHJHlgjag8

Its actually a review of the new 250 vs the old newgen 250. But as far as I can tell, our 300 is basically the same as the 250 except with a bigger engine.

In the video, the owner pokes at both bikes showing that while the newer bike has obvious nice features like EFI and a better dash, it is made with cheaper parts - plastic instead of metal, cheap plastic instead of good plastic, etc.

Its possible that the 300 is completely different, but they sure look alike.

At least if you go to the showroom, you'll have something to look for.

choneofakind
September 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Oh god no!!! Not the tapping video!!

I can't believe that video actually just got used here as a valid comparison. He's tapping at things with his fingernails :rotflmao:

I seriously want to put my foot up Mr Tappy's butt.

n4mwd
September 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM
I don't think the sound quality of the video is as good as Mr Tappy thought it was, but if you tap that stuff in person, you should be able to tell what he's tapping about.

I'm thinking about going to my local dealer tomorrow. I'll tap on a few things and report back.

Alex
September 18th, 2012, 09:11 PM
The infamous "tapping" video has been posted here a number of times. I know who I'm bringing along if I need to choose watermelons; that guy has it down. :)

choneofakind
September 18th, 2012, 09:15 PM
haha if he's good at picking watermelons, he should be good at telling when a tire carcass has been cooked, according to csmith12.

Imagine what Mr Tappy could do with an iPad. :laugh:

Jiggles
September 18th, 2012, 09:16 PM
I use the taste test to determine the quality and to claim all the bike are belong to me

n4mwd
September 18th, 2012, 09:17 PM
I was wondering if anybody noticed that I deliberately didn't use the YOUTUBE BB tags.

wayanlam
September 18th, 2012, 09:41 PM
the more i read about the power gains of the 300, the more im annoyed that they are only shipping castrated 250cc versions into Indonesia :(

so curious to find out if its possible to replace some internal components to to lengthen the stroke back to the 300cc from a 250, and how much the smaller 28mm throttle body restricts compared to the bigger (32mm?) ones that come stock with the 300~

sigh... upgrading from the old 250, to a "new 250" feels like a waste, ha ha...

price here in bali for the the new 2013 250cc is 57.500.000 Rp. at current exchange, thats about $6,150.- (non abs)

dumb import tax laws in this country sux... :mad:

Boom King
September 18th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Review by Ultimate Motorcycling (http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2013_Kawasaki_Ninja_300_SE_ABS_First_Ride_Review)

Alex
September 18th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Nice review! One thing that jumped out is they mentioned different front brake pads on the normal version and the SE version? Is the SE only the ABS model? I thought there were 4 options in the US: White/Black/SE/SE ABS. But maybe the non-ABS SE isn't really SE, and it just has the identical green/black color scheme as the ABS SE? :idunno:

Boom King
September 18th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I also was surprised to read there was a difference in brake pads. First I've seen that stated. Also a bit confused about the SE and SE ABS. So far, I've only heard of two prices for the 300, one without ABS and one with. We know that the 2008 - 2012 250R had a separate price for the SE colour scheme. It's interesting that on the Canadian Kawasaki website, the ABS model is not available in the SE colour scheme at all... so who knows :confused20:

Boom King
September 18th, 2012, 10:30 PM
This video seems to show that the 300 can top out at 185 km/h on the digital speedo. Forward to 1:11 to see.

eRyQeiSg_Ow

DaveTheCanuck
September 18th, 2012, 10:52 PM
I also was surprised to read there was a difference in brake pads. First I've seen that stated. Also a bit confused about the SE and SE ABS. So far, I've only heard of two prices for the 300, one without ABS and one with. We know that the 2008 - 2012 250R had a separate price for the SE colour scheme. It's interesting that on the Canadian Kawasaki website, the ABS model is not available in the SE colour scheme at all... so who knows :confused20:

I think the Moondust Gray is actually the SE colour scheme for the ABS model, even though there's no SE badge in the pictures.

If you check the MSRP listings at the bottom, Ebony (Black) is listed as the EX300BDF while Moondust Gray is listed as EX300BDFA. The "A" is what Kawi usually uses to denote the SE model.

csmith12
September 19th, 2012, 04:24 AM
haha if he's good at picking watermelons, he should be good at telling when a tire carcass has been cooked, according to csmith12.

tapping is how i choose women too. :D

n4mwd
September 19th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Just wondering, but just reading about the "slipper clutch" it sounds like the way it works will prevent the bike from being push started. Is that correct?

csmith12
September 19th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Doubt the slipper would break free that easily to prevent a push start.

Alex
September 19th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Fair question; it depends on the amount of slip allowed by the ramp angles. The tighter it is set up, the more likely it will bump start fine. The looser; there is a possibility the sprocket will turn but the engine won't. The small and free-revving engine makes me think that it will spin up no problem without slipping the clutch, but we'll see. Certainly worth playing with once they hit the street.

Aufitt
September 19th, 2012, 06:52 AM
You would have to be pushing it faster than redline in whatever gear to take effect, and even then all it will do is lower the revs a few thousand..

So no it wont affect pushstart. (not sure why anyone wants to pushstart anyway in this day and age)

Heed
September 19th, 2012, 08:10 AM
You might want to take a look at this review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJHJHlgjag8

Its actually a review of the new 250 vs the old newgen 250. But as far as I can tell, our 300 is basically the same as the 250 except with a bigger engine.

In the video, the owner pokes at both bikes showing that while the newer bike has obvious nice features like EFI and a better dash, it is made with cheaper parts - plastic instead of metal, cheap plastic instead of good plastic, etc.

Its possible that the 300 is completely different, but they sure look alike.

At least if you go to the showroom, you'll have something to look for.

haha, the tapping video. I was looking for that a few days ago.

The thing that really bothers me is the kick stand issue. I hope the 300 doesn't do the same thing.

n4mwd
September 19th, 2012, 08:16 AM
So no it wont affect pushstart. (not sure why anyone wants to pushstart anyway in this day and age)

Beats walking.

CZroe
September 19th, 2012, 09:38 AM
The Ultimate Motorcycling review has so many new little details, but I don't know what to believe when they say things that are clearly wrong, like "ABS is standard on the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE version." Uhh, no. There's are only two colors and green is SE on the ABS and non-ABS model. I kinda wish the non-SE green were available because I like it much more.

CZroe
September 19th, 2012, 09:43 AM
You would have to be pushing it faster than redline in whatever gear to take effect, and even then all it will do is lower the revs a few thousand..

Same as any age: Dead battery.

Alex
September 19th, 2012, 10:29 AM
The Ultimate Motorcycling review has so many new little details, but I don't know what to believe when they say things that are clearly wrong, like "ABS is standard on the 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 SE version." Uhh, no. There's are only two colors and green is SE on the ABS and non-ABS model. I kinda wish the non-SE green were available because I like it much more.

This is still a little fuzzy. The journalists on the US launch in Marin this week were told there are only 3 choices in the US.

white
black
green/black SE ABS

Alex
September 19th, 2012, 10:31 AM

Nobody every *wants* to pushstart.

Beats walking.

This.

Same as any age: Dead battery.

Right, but this brings up the next concern; push-starting FI bikes with completely dead batteries is sometimes a challenge. If there isn't enough juice to power up the fuel pump, the bike isn't going anywhere.

choneofakind
September 19th, 2012, 10:45 AM
tapping is how i choose women too. :D

*facepalm*

then

:bow:

80% of the time, it works all the time :laugh:

Surferboy120
September 19th, 2012, 10:57 AM
This is still a little fuzzy. The journalists on the US launch in Marin this week were told there are only 3 choices in the US.

white
black
green/black SE ABS

Your correct with what you heard exclusive to the US. Other countries have different SE colors and ABS option.

Surferboy120
September 19th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Holy smokes my dealer just called me and said they were shipped the first 300 and they have it in now. The down side is that it's white..... They told me the white was released first and they wanted to see if I wanted it because the green I ordered will be here at the end of Oct. I go see it tonight and may be taking it home if I like it. I honestly think I will be holding out for the green one though. Either way this is a nice problem to have.

Boom King
September 19th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Is there a difference in price between the white and green/black SE?

Boom King
September 19th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Not a full review yet, that should be up next week but Gabe from Motorcycle Daily (http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/09/md-first-ride-2013-kawasaki-ninja-300-part-one-with-video/) does a walk-around of the 300 and shares his general impression. Overall, pretty positive except for the points about the cheapish brakes and suspension.

Surferboy120
September 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Is there a difference in price between the white and green/black SE?

Don't hold me to it but my dealer said the concept of SE is gone. The SE paint may exist but no price increase. He said only the ABS increases price.

n4mwd
September 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Does he tap anything? so far, most of the reviews have been just a regurgitation of the factory specs.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaveTheCanuck
September 19th, 2012, 02:49 PM
One more video:

j-Kjtnq54XE

It's in french and he mostly just goes over the specs, but there's some onboard footage of him riding it later in the vid so you get a bit of a taste of what it sounds like.

Alex
September 19th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Does he tap anything?

I'm going to ask that for every product review for the rest of my days. "How is that new 9G smartphone? Well, I tapped the crap out of it, and it sounds 30% more tappable than that decrepid 8G one".

Found a useful PDF with all of the details of the Ninja 300, at least for the Canadian market. The caveat is that there might be some tweaks for the US, but we'll see soon enough.

Alex
September 19th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Link to the Motorcycle Daily video by Gabe:

5wzNd9yd81g

JBinSD
September 19th, 2012, 03:02 PM
My local dealer just called and said they have a green one in the warehouse, but I have a trackday this weekend, so won't be ready before I leave. I'd rather have white myself, not sure if its worth the wait though.
:rolleyes:

Boom King
September 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Nice find on the PDF. It confirms the difference in front brake pads on the ABS vs. the standard model.

Jiggles
September 19th, 2012, 03:58 PM

5wzNd9yd81g

First off, what the hell is wrong with his camera, second, I really like that color scheme, guess I haven't seen it up close until now. Also, it looks like redline is at 13k on the tach, I thought that kawi had lowered it?

Now, someone, go swap the engines!

pelper1
September 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM
I'd love to see a full performance comparo between the '12 and '13 models. I know the latter makes more power and should be faster but by how much?

Jiggles
September 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'd love to see a full performance comparo between the '12 and '13 models. I know the latter makes more power and should be faster but by how much?

By how much eh? I'd say (if we are talking stock) the 300 should be able to break 6 seconds in a 0-60 test. In capable hands the 250 is over 7 seconds. I'd say a fully modded 250 (no engine mods) is probably around the same power/acceleration/speed as a stock 300. I'll test this with the first ninja 300 owner I see :thumbup:

DaveTheCanuck
September 19th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Revving and riding (recorded vertically on an iPad :doh:)

K1Jhe-Xami4

Alex
September 19th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I know the latter makes more power and should be faster but by how much?

|----------| This much. :D

n4mwd
September 19th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Revving and riding (recorded vertically on an iPad :doh:)

That's called "SLIT screen".

choneofakind
September 19th, 2012, 05:25 PM

Well @n4wmd, it's good for 103 GPS stock. That's the same as my modified ninjette powerhouse known as a '99 pregen. I would say that's not a step back for Kawasaki ;) With a proper full system and a good fuel table, that bad boy could likely push 110. It might also break that mythical 6 second 0-60 time that no pregen has done before :p

CZroe
September 19th, 2012, 05:26 PM
That's called "SLIT screen".

Nope. Vertical Video Syndrome.

Bt9zSfinwFA

"It's not crack or nuthin', but it's still really bad."

Kstorm21
September 19th, 2012, 05:37 PM

5wzNd9yd81g

Damn that's a sexy color scheme!!!! I wouldn't get black so It's between the white and green one...since the white isn't ABS I just might have to get the green one. :(...but :)

DaveTheCanuck
September 19th, 2012, 05:38 PM
The same guy that uploaded the vertical video uploaded a slideshow of his Green SE model last week. In the description he says the SE model was $200 more than the Stardust White model and ABS was $500 more.

MJe8YD8xbxw

So it looks like we're wrong about no more SE pricing :(

n4mwd
September 19th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Well @n4wmd, it's good for 103 GPS stock. That's the same as my modified ninjette powerhouse known as a '99 pregen. I would say that's not a step back for Kawasaki ;) With a proper full system and a good fuel table, that bad boy could likely push 110. It might also break that mythical 6 second 0-60 time that no pregen has done before :p

Well, the 300 has a spin on oil filter which makes it worth $4K more than a pregen that can go almost as fast. I'm sure the 300 will have better 0-60 times. It better anyway. I'm sure the 5.75s pregen time is real, but I'm starting to think its had some mods - such as an area-p exhaust or bigger jets or something.

As far as your pregen hitting 110, I think its possible if you put the carbs back on, but you're not going to do it with your undersized injectors. Even the OEM injectors may be a tad bit small. Anyhow, the ecojectors only have two nozzles per injector and the OEM has 12 and a higher flow rate. If you got anywhere close to 110 you will need an OEM throttle body and injectors. The ZX-6R uses the same injectors as the OEM 250, but it has two injectors per cylinder. One for low power and two for high power.

If you had the OEM TB, you could put in the 650 injectors. They put out twice as much fuel, but you'd probably have idle problems so it would only be for the one run.

I have been looking over the 300. The engine is a total redesign. Nothing left of the pregen on there. Only time will tell if it will prove superior. Not just in HP, but in longevity and MPG.

Jiggles
September 19th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Someone has an irrational love for pregens :lol:

lgk
September 19th, 2012, 07:11 PM
who would have guessed, lol

Surferboy120
September 19th, 2012, 07:43 PM
I bring mine home tomorrow wooohaaa I went ahead and got the white one with no abs for 4799. I won't sleep tonight. I went and saw it today and it was gorgeous enough that I forgot about the Kwai green quickly. For me suprisingly the white is perfect.

n4mwd
September 19th, 2012, 07:46 PM
I bring mine home tomorrow wooohaaa I went ahead and got the white one with no abs for 4799. I won't sleep tonight. I went and saw it today and it was gorgeous enough that I forgot about the Kwai green quickly. For me suprisingly the white is perfect.

Don't forget to clock the MPG and report back here. I've seen two independent reports that say its around 50 mpg. We need more data.

JBinSD
September 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Nice Surfer, congrats. The white is actually what I want, but the closest dealer only has a green, so I i'll check it out but I may pass and wait for white. I'm probably going to do trackskinz anyway, but might as well get the color I want.

Surferboy120
September 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys I will post up what I can as far as the mystery questions go. I doubt I will get very good mileage anytime soon he he he. Well I guess I have to break it in correctly.... Anyway we have a beautiful weekend coming up so I should get breaking miles done quickly.

n4mwd
September 19th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys I will post up what I can as far as the mystery questions go. I doubt I will get very good mileage anytime soon he he he. Well I guess I have to break it in correctly.... Anyway we have a beautiful weekend coming up so I should get breaking miles done quickly.

Yeah, that's right. They usually make you keep the RPM under a certain level for the first couple hundred miles or so. Best to read the owner's manual. If so, then your mileage will be artificially inflated.

JBinSD
September 19th, 2012, 08:05 PM
so what was your OTD? did you pay MSRP + freight, prep, tax doc lic, all that crap?

Kstorm21
September 19th, 2012, 08:08 PM

That's awesome!! I love the white but I think I need the ABS as this will be my first bike. How much was the deposit?

Aufitt
September 19th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Is it a 3.5 or 4.0 rear rim?

Alex
September 19th, 2012, 08:42 PM
4.0. (the specs are in this pdf (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=569756&postcount=1355) a few posts up)

choneofakind
September 19th, 2012, 09:14 PM
As far as your pregen hitting 110

pause. Maybe my wording was bad. I think the 300 can hit 110. No way in heck my bike (or myself) is going that fast.

The injectors aren't the issue on my bike, it's the TB's being 28mm, but that's besides the point. It's actually too rich at the top end in rich mode right now. I need to dial back a bit on my rich mode lambda map and get some dyno time. Going bigger on the injectors means I'll have issues with idling, if I remember Greg's research correctly.

Crunchie
September 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
White, black or SE... so many choices. F@#k.

Kstorm21
September 19th, 2012, 11:21 PM
White, black or SE... so many choices. F@#k.

IKR...well...not the black. But the other two. I wish there was a white SE or white with ABS.

Crunchie
September 19th, 2012, 11:43 PM
2 weeks extra wait on SE. Looks like I'm waiting :(:(

wayanlam
September 20th, 2012, 02:59 AM
went to the kawi dealer yesterday... drooled a little at the new 2013 model. they told me that they will only have these new 2013 EFI 250 models from now on, and that the 2008-2012 250cc models have been discontinued.

tentatively waiting to fiund out if its possible to modify them to a 300cc, ha ha...

if not, then im just gonna keep my modified 2009 baby :p

psych0hans
September 20th, 2012, 03:51 AM

Congratz Buddy!!! Want a full report and pics ASAP :D :thumbup: You're gonna be the envy of several on this site, First person on ninjette.org to take delivery :eek:

n4mwd
September 20th, 2012, 05:18 AM
pause. Maybe my wording was bad. I think the 300 can hit 110. No way in heck my bike (or myself) is going that fast.

The injectors aren't the issue on my bike, it's the TB's being 28mm, but that's besides the point. It's actually too rich at the top end in rich mode right now. I need to dial back a bit on my rich mode lambda map and get some dyno time. Going bigger on the injectors means I'll have issues with idling, if I remember Greg's research correctly.

It sounded like you said your bike is doing 103 right now and you thought it could do more.

choneofakind
September 20th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Oops :o sorry for confusing wording. My bike does 102.something at the track.

The stock 300 did a GPS verified 103 for the narrator in the video that Alex posted. I think with a proper tuning and a good full exhaust, it could hit 110. I don't think Kawasaki is lacking anything with this bike performance-wise

n4mwd
September 20th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Was your 102 GPS or radar verified? Injectors or carbs?

choneofakind
September 20th, 2012, 08:04 AM
102 was with the tach reading a little over 13,500 in 6th with 14/47 gearing and stock size tires (http://faq.ninja250.org/speed/#noredir). Carbs, opened intake, full exhaust, nice jetting. The back straight is a slight downhill as well, so that was as fast as I was gonna go. I trust the math on that speed calculator. It's not exact because I was only looking at the tach which might have error, but it's enough to prove that I broke 100.

Speedo was reading a little over 110, but it's useless and I was really not supposed to be watching the gauges anyways. I just looked down for my own curiosity's sake. :p I have no gps, but I would be worried about taking it on the track if I did.

Heed
September 20th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Surferboy120

so what was your OTD? did you pay MSRP + freight, prep, tax doc lic, all that crap?

How much was the deposit?

Keep us updated. :)

I'm going to go to a couple dealers with my dad next week and will probably make a deposit. I'm figuring $5,500 OTD, we'll see. ><

n4mwd
September 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM
102 was with the tach reading a little over 13,500 in 6th with 14/47 gearing and stock size tires (http://faq.ninja250.org/speed/#noredir). Carbs, opened intake, full exhaust, nice jetting. The back straight is a slight downhill as well, so that was as fast as I was gonna go. I trust the math on that speed calculator. It's not exact because I was only looking at the tach which might have error, but it's enough to prove that I broke 100.

Speedo was reading a little over 110, but it's useless and I was really not supposed to be watching the gauges anyways. I just looked down for my own curiosity's sake. :p I have no gps, but I would be worried about taking it on the track if I did.

Do you have 1 in your phone? They have a track app for that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Surferboy120
September 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM
OTD is $5746 that's 4779 for the bike $474 for taxes and the rest is TTL and shipping\assembly.

I put $500 deposit to ensure I got the first one.

I pick it up at 5:30 today ....... This is a painful wait.

Surferboy120
September 20th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Hey who on this site creates the Gen Specific sections? Are they going to create a 300 section or are we tossed out of ninjette talk due to being a little different he he he.

GreenNinja
September 20th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Hey who on this site creates the Gen Specific sections? Are they going to create a 300 section or are we tossed out of ninjette talk due to being a little different he he he.

Alex is the man! He is buying a 300 himself so you won't have to worry about getting "tossed out". :thumbup:

choneofakind
September 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
It's still the baby ninja, so it's still able to be called the ninjette!

Alex, you should make a new section for it though. It would help keep things more organized now that people are starting to potentially get some of the new models.

ninjaone
September 20th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Cycle world has a first ride report on it today:

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/09/19/2013-kawasaki-ninja-300-first-ride/

Looks like a pretty positive impression.

I'm still a little leery about the idea of a slipper clutch being used in normal riding to allow for sloppy down shifting on the street, that just seems like a bad habit to get into especially for beginners, but other then that, good job to Kawasaki for delivering a solid package.

Alex
September 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM

http://www.theantiroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/allaboutmelarge.jpg

Alex is the man! He is buying a 300 himself so you won't have to worry about getting "tossed out". :thumbup:

While you very well might get tossed out for any number of reasons, owning a 300 won't be one of them. :p I'm picking one up next week. :thumbup:

Alex, you should make a new section for it though. It would help keep things more organized now that people are starting to potentially get some of the new models.

Yeah, I have been trying to figure out the cleanest way. I could just duplicate what we have for the other gens and have a tech / farkles / link to wiki. But I wonder if now is the time to clean things up, and have 3 separate tech sections, but only one farkles area? I don't know if farkles by 3 gens really need to be split. I'm also torn about where to put the main DIY sticky. It made sense when this was primarily a new-gen mods site to have it there. But over time, more pre-gens came onboard, and now, there will be more new-new-gens, so I don't know the cleanest answer. Maybe I just put a link to the same thread in the sticky areas, like with the member map. We also need to figure out what we're really going to call them. The 300's? The new-new-gen? The super-gen? Even for wiki categorization, we need to figure it out.

headshrink
September 20th, 2012, 12:16 PM
I may have missunderstood. Is the 300 being sold in the US? I thought we only get the 250....

Alex
September 20th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Other way around. We don't get the 250; we only get the 300. :thumbup:

Surferboy120
September 20th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I have been trying to figure out the cleanest way. I could just duplicate what we have for the other gens and have a tech / farkles / link to wiki. But I wonder if now is the time to clean things up, and have 3 separate tech sections, but only one farkles area? I don't know if farkles by 3 gens really need to be split. I'm also torn about where to put the main DIY sticky. It made sense when this was primarily a new-gen mods site to have it there. But over time, more pre-gens came onboard, and now, there will be more new-new-gens, so I don't know the cleanest answer. Maybe I just put a link to the same thread in the sticky areas, like with the member map. We also need to figure out what we're really going to call them. The 300's? The new-new-gen? The super-gen? Even for wiki categorization, we need to figure it out.

Just my opinion but the gen of 250 is over in the US but not all over the world. There is a new gen 250 that has the same body as the 300 but the 300 really is not the continuation of the 250 it's a new breed based off the 250. I think it should have a 300 in reference so that people know they are talking about the latest 250 which is FI with latest body in some parts of the world or the new 300.

Surferboy120
September 20th, 2012, 12:23 PM
I may have missunderstood. Is the 300 being sold in the US? I thought we only get the 250....

The 250 in the USA is gone only the 300 exists now. There is a new 250 with the same body as the new 300 but it is sold in other parts of the world and not in the USA.

Alex
September 20th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure. It seems like it (the new 250) is almost the same bike, but with a short stroke motor. We didn't have, or seem to need, a completely separate section here for the 2008-2012 FI bikes from overseas; the threads that were specific for them stood out just fine in the same tech sections.

Surferboy120
September 20th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure. It seems like it (the new 250) is almost the same bike, but with a short stroke motor. We didn't have, or seem to need, a completely separate section here for the 2008-2012 FI bikes from overseas; the threads that were specific for them stood out just fine in the same tech sections.

Good point...

It could get cluttered easily if to much separation. I wonder if the 300 aftermarket parts will go hand in hand with the new 250... Then it could make sense to merge as well. Maybe it is labeled as" 2013 and on Gen Ninjettes".

psych0hans
September 20th, 2012, 12:32 PM

I think the major difference will be FI & Carbs... You'll need a new section for FI tuning :D:thumbup:

choneofakind
September 20th, 2012, 12:33 PM

I think if we combine all the farkles to one section for everyone, it's going to be a bit of a confusing mish-mash; we're going to get confusion worse than we already do between generations. At least if there's a specific section for each generation of farkles, it's obvious when a thread is in the wrong place and it can be moved.

It makes sense to me to have the 86-07 (pre-gen) section, the 08-12 (new-gen) section, and then the 13+ (super-ninjette 250/300 twins) sections. To me, it makes logical sense to continue a tech section and farkles section for each generation.

Right now in the wiki, there's a branch for pre-gen bikes. Why not just do the same thing with the 08-12 models? That will put some emphasis on the new bikes, but still keep the older stuff organized.

headshrink
September 20th, 2012, 12:34 PM
What!!!?? Yes, I would prefer to ride the 300, but this makes me sad. The 250 is a permanent fixture here.... or it should be. Quite honestly I wouldn't have gotten into MC's if the entry with the 250 weren't still so cheap in '08 ($3500 MSRP). Although somewhat misguided, I used high gas prices and the fact I couldn't afford to replace my dead car as justification. Although I now know better, I have no regrets, but wouldn't be able to justify today's prices... especially if they retired the 250.

rusninja
September 20th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Alex you got a next week confirmation?

Alex
September 20th, 2012, 12:44 PM
What!!!?? Yes, I would prefer to ride the 300, but this makes me sad.

Chin up! :p Kawi gave us a pretty significant improvement on the bike we all love, and only raised the price $600. I remember when the pre-gens were $2999, and the $3499 price the first year in 2008 was nice as well, but remember how quickly that went up as kawi found out what people were willing to pay for the fun little bikes. From the FI to the digital gauges, to the 20% power bump, to the wider rear wheel, to the fantastic styling; I think it's going to be a winner.

(the specs are in this pdf (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=569756&postcount=1355) a few posts up)

headshrink
September 20th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Chin up! :p Kawi gave us a pretty significant improvement on the bike we all love, and only raised the price $600. I remember when the pre-gens were $2999, and the $3499 price the first year in 2008 was nice as well, but remember how quickly that went up as kawi found out what people were willing to pay for the fun little bikes. From the FI to the digital gauges, to the 20% power bump, to the wider rear wheel, to the fantastic styling; it's going to be a winner.

(the specs are in this pdf (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=569756&postcount=1355) a few posts up)

Agreed, no doubt. The improvements are right-on, and the value is likely ballpark. I've always liked power-sport toys, just couldn't afford them. I had a unique opportunity to enter in '08 that appears to now be gone... a bittersweet day then.

Alex
September 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Alex you got a next week confirmation?

Yes.

Kstorm21
September 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM
OTD is $5746 that's 4779 for the bike $474 for taxes and the rest is TTL and shipping\assembly.

Man if wish!!!! $5700??? It'll be closer to $6700-$7000 here. Some are saying 8K. :( I wish I could buy it on the mainland and ship it here.

rusninja
September 20th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Damn it alex lucky :P Hopefully they tell me mine will be shortly arriving because im itching to ride. :D

headshrink
September 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM
My suggestion for new sections is to have a Tech section with model subsections, and same with Farkles, etc. But any way you do it, we'll figure it out.

Aggrotech
September 20th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Should just continue with the trend thats already on this site..

2013+ 300 Ninja
---------------
2013+ Tech talk
2013+ Farkles
then the wiki..
that way its still extremely familiar with everyone on the site already and it'll look just fine.

CZroe
September 20th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Should just continue with the trend thats already on this site..

2013+ 300 Ninja
---------------
2013+ Tech talk
2013+ Farkles
then the wiki..
that way its still extremely familiar with everyone on the site already and it'll look just fine.

I think the pregen is the F-series, newgen is the J-series unless FI needs to be differentiated (K-series), new-newgen 250 is L-series. New-newgen 300 is A-series (EX300ADF). Because of the displacement differences, they are all "ninjettes." ;)

n4mwd
September 20th, 2012, 06:44 PM
What!!!?? Yes, I would prefer to ride the 300, but this makes me sad. The 250 is a permanent fixture here.... or it should be. Quite honestly I wouldn't have gotten into MC's if the entry with the 250 weren't still so cheap in '08 ($3500 MSRP). Although somewhat misguided, I used high gas prices and the fact I couldn't afford to replace my dead car as justification. Although I now know better, I have no regrets, but wouldn't be able to justify today's prices... especially if they retired the 250.

The Ninja 250 has a culture all its own. Basically a cult following. Cults are like religions.

Dear Kawasaki . . . Stop messing with people's religion and bring back the Ninja 250!

Kstorm21
September 20th, 2012, 08:16 PM

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO??? I'm sure you are having tons of fun with your new bike but come on!!! Let us know.

Alex
September 20th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Back to topic please. The 2013 ninja 300 does not come with a cell phone. Or even a recommendation about which phone platform will most likely get its owner laid/fired/high/inner peace/self-actualization/free brownies. But it is a kick-ass bike. Let's keep talking about the motorcycle. :thumbup:

Surferboy120
September 20th, 2012, 09:23 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO??? I'm sure you are having tons of fun with your new bike but come on!!! Let us know.

I love it !!! It's that easy to say. I put the OTD details on the ninja pricing thread. The front end is perfect for my 150 lbs build. I didn't not get a chance to do much carving because of location and such so the rear end is up in the air although the suspension in general gobbled up the bumps and felt very well balanced for me. The bike handles very well.

The fit and finish is very good and I was impressed by the exhaust note as it was very nice coming from the stock can in that it didn't sound as 250 ish for lack of better words.

Throttle is super smooth and power was not lacking and I found no drop offs either although I only ran to 8 grand max a couple times. I mainly tried to drive irregularly with the throttle and never just cruised a lot to help the break in without pushing the bike much. I am itching to push it some when the miles get on it.

knoids
September 20th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Thank goodness they are redesigning this bike. Many people have the misconception that this bike is a great starter bike but if you look at the sales they are dismal at best. Kawi was being pushed out of the market by its vast amount of competitors like the CBR250. Without a redesign of the tired old 250 Kawasaki was likely headed for bankruptcy.

Holy cow! Your signature scared me!

knoids
September 20th, 2012, 09:56 PM
"No knoids, your opinion is wrong" LALALALALALA

(btw, I'd rather not add you to my ignore list. Then I would be missing out on about half of the comments on this forum!)

knoids
September 20th, 2012, 10:01 PM
What the heck? "Faster than knoids's 250"?? How do you do this? Its so funny!

Jigglin your Jiglets...............................LOL

Jiggles
September 20th, 2012, 10:29 PM
My 250 is faster than every other 250

and most 300s

Domagoj
September 20th, 2012, 11:46 PM
I just read the reviews posted in new forum section. They have that famous "New is always better" written all over them...

I have to say I'm a little surprised how scornful the reviewers are towards the 2009-2012 model now. The bike they mostly praised for the past four years has become a piece of noob junk, apparently.

In a way I'm happy that the release of the little CBR has given us the new ninjette, but I'm a bit afraid that this will all turn out into a classic consumer product, something like them bloody telephones. Not that I want to steer the topic back in that direction.

To conclude, the new bike does not have anything that makes me want it except the fact that it's new.
Suspension is obviously the same as before with a bit different factory setting. IRC tires are not good compared to Diablo Rosso 2, regardless of the size. Handlebars are still high, bodywork still clashes with clip-ons, and we are still limited to risers and half-solutions. And frankly, all this praise of the new frame - I'm not believing any of it until some of the racers compare it to the race prepped 250. Is it the frame or better suspension settings? I can't say. FI was standard for Europe, and bigger engine is just a bigger engine. It does exactly what you expect it to. Can't really help with cornerspeed.

I hoped for a bike that looks and weighs like Yamaha R125, with 20kW engine instead of really whimpy 11kW. It would seem they steered in a bit different direction.

Crunchie
September 21st, 2012, 05:14 AM
I am now the proud owner of a Black 300 Ninja. Very very very happy, so far :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img21/6803/img1003yi.jpg

spray painted the front indicators with translucent black, and wind shield black.

psych0hans
September 21st, 2012, 05:57 AM
I am now the proud owner of a Black 300 Ninja. Very very very happy, so far :D
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/6803/img1003yi.jpg

spray painted the front indicators with translucent black, and wind shield black.

Sweet!!!! :drool:

massacremasses
September 21st, 2012, 06:20 AM
Yeah that looks pretty sharp.

Kstorm21
September 21st, 2012, 05:31 PM
Random question and it might have been discussed already but would you put out the extra $ for a warranty? With such a new bike/design should I even worry about it? TIA.

zenn92
September 21st, 2012, 05:51 PM
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/kawasaki/2013-kawasaki-ninja-300-review-91429.html

another review on the new 300 :)

n4mwd
September 21st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Ok that's starting to look pretty impressive. MPG is all over the place depending on how you ride, but 105 MPG is very impressive. The average was around 87 MPG among the 8 riders. :thumbup:

DaveTheCanuck
September 21st, 2012, 06:37 PM
MCN has posted a fancy-shmancy preview video:

rQ3c_VOHTHQ

headshrink
September 21st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Ok that's starting to look pretty impressive. MPG is all over the place depending on how you ride, but 105 MPG is very impressive. The average was around 87 MPG among the 8 riders. :thumbup:

Gotta call BS on that MPG. In a laboratory MAYBE, but never real world.

Alex
September 21st, 2012, 08:36 PM
Well, those numbers were real world by the journalists; but it was during a 32-mile mileage contest where they were trying to get the best numbers. The more telling (and impressive) number to me is that one of the journalists intentionally tried to cane the heck out of the bike and get the worst mileage, and he saw 50 mpg over that loop. Which is much better than I see, taking it easy, on the 250.

Confuzshuz
September 21st, 2012, 08:43 PM

At 80 mpg, I'm in.

Any one know if California specific motorcycle models get more or less mpg than the 49 state models?

Alex
September 21st, 2012, 08:46 PM
Generally we get a little worse mileage. Partially from the emissions stuff, and partially from the cali-specific gas formulations. But - all of these bikes were tested and filled up in California, meaning that those numbers we're talking about are at least California gas, if not cali-spec bikes. So perhaps other states could do even a smidgen better....

n4mwd
September 22nd, 2012, 01:44 AM
He's kinda right about it being a lab test in that it was done on a closed track and only for 32 miles. That's not even a whole gallon for most of them. They did say something about the high mileage guys creeping, but left out specifics regarding the average speeds of the riders.

They had figures on the board that looked like "10:43" which at first I thought were track times (minutes:seconds), but can't be right so I'm thinking its the time of day that they finished - with no starting time as a reference.

But still, 105 mpg on the track is still respectable, but I'm thinking that its probably going to work out to about 80 mpg HWY. I'm still hoping that we can get some guys here that are buying them to post actual city/hwy mpgs.

In my case, my bike is either idling or WOT and not much in between, so I'd probably just get 50 mpg.

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 02:43 AM
I find it hard to believe that the new 300s get better mpgs than current 250s

GreenNinja
September 22nd, 2012, 05:59 AM
I find it hard to believe that the new 300s get better mpgs than current 250s

It is possible with it being fuel injected and 300 might be the magic number for the best gas mileage. If our bikes were 125 that doesn't mean it would get more mpg than the 250. The extra power might be getting the bike from 0 - 60 with less effort than the 250 so it will allow it to go into cruising speed quicker which gets the best mpg. I will say this is purely from a logical perspective since I am no mechanic I will not argue with you anymore than this LOL.

Boom King
September 22nd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Impressive fuel consumption figures. I wonder how slow those journalists were going to be able to break the century mark. Being that it was on a closed track, were they riding in a manner that would even be feasible or safe for the street? The Australian review rode the 300 along with the CBR250R and in a manner that was not mindful to fuel consumption. The result was 4.46 L/100km for the Honda and 4.68 L/100km for the Ninja.

Heed
September 22nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
http://www.n**********rg/

Well that didn't take long.

JeffM
September 22nd, 2012, 08:34 AM

Needs more black :o

DaveTheCanuck
September 22nd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Walk around and review:

xB44eUfRNkI

n4mwd
September 22nd, 2012, 10:11 AM
So the top the end with ethanol free gas is 115 mph, and the top end of fuel economy is 105 mpg, both a very impressive. Too bad you probably cant get them at the same time. There still isnt enough data to say, but it's looking more and more like it's going to be around 80 MPG on the highway. This is starting to look like this might be a good bike, but it's never going to be a 250.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
Uhm, the 300 does not go 115mph

choneofakind
September 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
n**********rg hahaha. There's a stunting section. Ba! :lol:

1, of course it's going to a great bike; they improved upon everything these boards have been griping about for a long time. So far, I haven't seen a negative review yet.
2, mpg's aren't the deciding factor. That being said, 50mpg while being flogged sounds pretty enticing.
3, I'll believe top speed numbers and mpg numbers once there's more of these bikes out on the roads.

Boom King
September 22nd, 2012, 12:28 PM
but it's never going to be a 250.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not sure where you're going with this...:confused: You're either stating the obvious or need to get something off your chest here.

DaveTheCanuck
September 22nd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Uhm, the 300 does not go 115mph

The review video from MCN shows the speedometer at 185km/h on the Autobahn.

That's 115mph.

Boom King
September 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Another review. (http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1301_2013_kawasaki_ninja_300/) More of a first ride report so it's pretty light on details. It does mention, however, a $200 price increase for the SE lime green/black paint scheme in the US.

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
The review video from MCN shows the speedometer at 185km/h on the Autobahn.

That's 115mph.

And how accurate are speedometers? ;)

I can easily get my 250 to 110, but its not really going 110

choneofakind
September 22nd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Yes it's 115 mph, assuming no error in the speedo at all.

I would bet that's more like 110 mph, which is a safe 5% speedo error assumption.

But who knows, I could be completely wrong, the speedo could be perfectly accurate, and the bike could actually do 115, which would be completely awesome!

Boom King
September 22nd, 2012, 12:47 PM
A french review took the 300 on the Autobahn and got 177 kmh on the speedo and GPS verified at 174 kmh so based on that, it seems like there's a bit of a speedo error.

headshrink
September 22nd, 2012, 01:04 PM

Alex's forsight in choosing 'Ninjette' for our domain was right-on!

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 01:07 PM

I would bet that's more like 110 mph, which is a safe 5% speedo error assumption.

But who knows, I could be completely wrong, the speedo could be perfectly accurate, and the bike could actually do 115, which would be completely awesome!

Didn't that dude from the magazine do a review and he said he got it to 105 stock? That seems more accurate

Alex
September 22nd, 2012, 01:10 PM
Alex's forsight in choosing 'Ninjette' for our domain was right-on!

http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-wzk7N5d/0/X3/i-wzk7N5d-X3.gif

choneofakind
September 22nd, 2012, 01:11 PM
post above says a magazine got it to a GPS 174 kph, that's 108 mph. Pretty impressive

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM

I signed up. Should be fun

Also they let you change your displayed username 3 times in a month! OMG ima **** with so many people!

Heed
September 22nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
The forum is pretty dead.

Surferboy120
September 22nd, 2012, 02:14 PM
Here are a couple observations with my bike so far surrounding the Cat and O2 as well as a fender eliminator kit.

yUrBkqbxevY

DaveTheCanuck
September 22nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
Here are a couple observations with my bike so far surrounding the Cat and O2 as well as a fender eliminator kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUrBkqbxevY&feature=plcp

Man, that Stardust White sure is purdy. Shame it's not available in Canada :(

Boom King
September 22nd, 2012, 03:37 PM
That's one nice bike :thumbup: Don't think you lost out at all by choosing the white over the green/ebony. So it's confirmed at least that the 49 state spec 300 is an open loop EFI system and no cat.

knoids
September 22nd, 2012, 03:44 PM
That's one nice bike :thumbup: Don't think you lost out at all by choosing the white over the green/ebony. So it's confirmed at least that the 49 state spec 300 is an open loop EFI system and no cat.

Is that better or worse to have an o2 sensor and "bungs" and "no cat" or is it better to have those things?

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 03:49 PM

Thats a bit strange. Oh well FREE O2 sensors and bungs for all californians yay!

Boom King
September 22nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
Thats a bit strange. Oh well FREE O2 sensors and bungs for all californians yay!

You just wanted to say the word "bungs" :D. I'm not so sure yet that it's for certain that the California model will get the 02 sensor and cat. As far as I know, California requires some type of evap system so that could be the difference between the 49 state spec 300. The previous gen 650R was an open loop system for California just like the rest of the other states. I'm not sure about the 2012 650 and emissions regulations could have changed since then though. You Californians would know better.

Is that better or worse to have an o2 sensor and "bungs" and "no cat" or is it better to have those things?

You might get slightly different figures on the Dyno and different fuel consumption figures. I doubt it would make that much of a dramatic difference in terms of how "sporty" or "racy" the 300 is on the street if that's what you're wondering. It kinda depends on what Kawasaki mapped into the ECM of the open loop FI system. The O2 sensor closes the system. It continually sends signals back to the ECM to help fine tune fuel delivery/injection. The cat will help with removing contaminants from the emissions.

Felipe the Ant
September 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM

It's better to have O2 sensors, then the computer monitors air/fuel and compensates accordingly so you always have the best ratio for power/economy, however it's tuned. Cats restrict exhaust flow a bit but produce better emissions, I can't see them getting away with not running them unless it's a perk of running open loop.

Is it me or does the slipper clutch seem useless to anyone else? They lowered compression as well. Looks awesome though

Alex
September 22nd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Surferboy120 - The cat is supposed to be in the end can. The 250's had two, one in the head pipe and one in the can. I think you'd have to remove the end can and take a peek inside to confirm conclusively whether one is in there or not. But one thing it does mean is that a slipon will remove any cat. This was one of the reasons that slipons didn't do much of anything for the 250's, as the restriction was still there earlier in the pipe.

n4mwd
September 22nd, 2012, 06:49 PM

I read somewhere that the 300 speedo was dead on, but the GPS does have the final say. Unlike the mechanical speedos of the 250s, the digital ones can be calibrated to be spot on. I don't know if Kawi actually does that, but they can be.

In any event, the 115 mph was indicated speed not GPS speed.

n4mwd
September 22nd, 2012, 07:00 PM
The OEM UK 250 has extra sensors such as a digital speedo input, air pressure sensors, and secondary throttle sensors. I suspect that the 300 is similar. Its enough to make sure the mix is right.

rusninja
September 22nd, 2012, 07:44 PM
So i went to dealer today did all the papers battery didnt charge in time and closed tomorrow but i am a proud owner of a white ninja 300 picking it up or getting it delivered monday :D also picked up a go pro 2 :]

JBinSD
September 22nd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hey Rus, what was your OTD?

rusninja
September 22nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
It was mucho like 6.4k Im just happy ima have a bike finally lmao.

psych0hans
September 22nd, 2012, 09:00 PM
So i went to dealer today did all the papers battery didnt charge in time and closed tomorrow but i am a proud owner of a white ninja 300 picking it up or getting it delivered monday :D also picked up a go pro 2 :]

Congrats on your new ride... Sucks you couldn't get it out in time... Ride safe!!!

massacremasses
September 22nd, 2012, 09:35 PM

looks like you beat nick. haha

how long has it been since youve been on here? :lol:

6.4 yikes :eek: stupid CA

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Coulda got a 650 for $1000 more.... lol

DaveTheCanuck
September 22nd, 2012, 09:52 PM
Coulda got a 650 for $1000 more.... lol

New OTD? I doubt it :\

Congrats on the purchase rus! You guys need to quit hoggin all the 300s, leave some for us Canucks up north :P

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
New OTD? I doubt it :\

Congrats on the purchase rus! You guys need to quit hoggin all the 300s, leave some for us Canucks up north :P

Mine was $7650 :rolleyes:

DaveTheCanuck
September 22nd, 2012, 10:00 PM

The MSRP for the 650 is $7599...

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 10:08 PM
I know ;)

Jiggles
September 22nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Whole sale at costco, got the 250/650/1000 triple family pack

Bassman
September 22nd, 2012, 10:48 PM
So the top the end with ethanol free gas is 115 mph, and the top end of fuel economy is 105 mpg, both a very impressive. Too bad you probably cant get them at the same time. There still isnt enough data to say, but it's looking more and more like it's going to be around 80 MPG on the highway. This is starting to look like this might be a good bike, but it's never going to be a 250.
Posted via Mobile Device

The 2013 looks like a great bike :D I do really love the fuel injection. A 115 MPH is not that important to me though, most of the roads I ride are 45-55ish. However, the 105 mpg is a huge thing for me, since I use my Ninja for commuting (I got it for mpg, well and looks, lol). Even at 80mpg it sounds more like moped gas mileage. I'd like to see some real life figures on this mpg thing.

Aggrotech
September 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Whole sale at costco, got the 250/650/1000 triple family pack

Had no idea about this costco program.

Why the hell isnt there a 250 in any year. Think they'll add the 300?

Jiggles
September 23rd, 2012, 12:36 AM
Probably not

n4mwd
September 23rd, 2012, 06:17 AM
It was mucho like 6.4k Im just happy ima have a bike finally lmao.

Is that the ABS version?

looks like you beat nick. haha

Nope. Nick has a dirt bike and a Ninja ZX-6R.

CZroe
September 23rd, 2012, 08:16 AM
The speedo can easily be described "dead on" at 30MPH indicated and then be off by 10MPH at 115 indicated.

The MSRP for the 650 is $7599...
There is no MSRP for Cali models. They used to specify that the MSRP was only for the 49-state model.

rusninja
September 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM

+tx?

rusninja
September 23rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks everyone lmao iv been on here forever like almost a year and half with no bike yesterday i bought a bike and tomorrow i shall ride it! :D I need to get my insurance first though. Its not abs.

Jiggles I didnt want a 650 that heavy fat dwarf looking thing Even you didnt want it you have the 250 and a 1k i wasnt ready for the 1k so i settled for the 300 ;]

Heed
September 23rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
it didn't happen until we have pictures.

Surferboy120
September 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Did a few things to the bike today. I pulled the rear fender off for planning of my fender eliminator kit and found it will be super easy so I will go buy my supplies today. Added a battery tender lead. Last but not least put some wheel tape on the bike. I think the red works well with the white.

http://willbelayforfood.com/ninja/pics/ninjawheeltape.jpg

Alex
September 23rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
There is no MSRP for Cali models. They used to specify that the MSRP was only for the 49-state model.

Nah - the MSRP is right on the sticker of the CA-model bikes as well.

headshrink
September 23rd, 2012, 01:10 PM

Sweet bike man; is it a 600? :p

00NissanNinja
September 23rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Oh dayum rusninja got a bike, congrats
Surferboy120 sweet bike! Nice RSX too!

CZroe
September 23rd, 2012, 02:34 PM
Nah - the MSRP is right on the sticker of the CA-model bikes as well.

The same as the 49-state MSRP (possibly used for reference)? Estimated by the dealer? The website and promo materials used to be pretty clear that the MSRP was for the 49-state model only. I remember reading about how MSRP doesn't apply to certain markets due to demand and manufacturers clearly says such with things like hybrids and Smart Cars in SoCal. SoCal has that AND the extra emissions expense influencing the price there, hence, the avoidance of an SRP.

zenn92
September 23rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Did a few things to the bike today. I pulled the rear fender off for planning of my fender eliminator kit and found it will be super easy so I will go buy my supplies today. Added a battery tender lead. Last but not least put some wheel tape on the bike. I think the red works well with the white.

Looking good! I'm jelly :(

Kstorm21
September 23rd, 2012, 03:27 PM

That looks super sweet! Still not sure if I want the white or ABS. Noobie question...what's the battery tender for?

Alex
September 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
The same as the 49-state MSRP (possibly used for reference)? Estimated by the dealer? The website and promo materials used to be pretty clear that the MSRP was for the 49-state model only.

They are the same. I can't find anything on the current or cached kawasaki site that ever mentioned anything about msrp not applying in all US markets.

Surferboy120
September 23rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
That looks super sweet! Still not sure if I want the white or ABS. Noobie question...what's the battery tender for?

Battery tender is for keeping your battery fully charged when the bike is not in use. You screw down the leads on the battery and then there is a quick connect plug so you can connect it to your charger quickly when the bike is not in use. It will extend the life of your battery big time and the tenders are cheap.

Kstorm21
September 23rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Battery tender is for keeping your battery fully charged when the bike is not in use. You screw down the leads on the battery and then there is a quick connect plug so you can connect it to your charger quickly when the bike is not in use. It will extend the life of your battery big time and the tenders are cheap.

Awesome thanks. I'll have to get one of those. :)

n4mwd
September 23rd, 2012, 05:25 PM
They are the same. I can't find anything on the current or cached kawasaki site that ever mentioned anything about msrp not applying in all US markets.

Its a suggested retail price and any dealer can charge what he wants.

I was recently helping a friend buy a car for his wife and at one dealer they offered a $9,000 trade in on any car. We found a car in the lot we liked and noted the MSRP. Went inside and he said they don't sell at the MSRP, their price is $10,000 more. Needless to say, we didn't buy anything from them.

The point being that dealers play all sorts of games, if you can't get a good deal from one, don't be afraid to walk out and go to the dealer up the street. But if you are paying more than MSRP, then you probably don't know how to bargain at a dealer.

Alex
September 23rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
Its a suggested retail price and any dealer can charge what he wants.

Agreed 100%. It's just a suggestion. But - it is a consistent suggestion from the manufacturer, and it allows for things to at least start from an expected base. But yes, in most vehicle transactions you're trying to get things below that suggested price. And when a dealer has an item that they can get top dollar for, they try to get above that suggested price. It's just the way it works. :thumbup:

n4mwd
September 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Agreed 100%. It's just a suggestion. But - it is a consistent suggestion from the manufacturer, and it allows for things to at least start from an expected base. But yes, in most vehicle transactions you're trying to get things below that suggested price. And when a dealer has an item that they can get top dollar for, they try to get above that suggested price. It's just the way it works. :thumbup:

Sometimes you have to wait if you want a good deal. If you absolutely must have it today, then expect to pay a premium. Then again, the folks here at ninjette.org are a special bunch. The average newly hatched squid is going to go in there and say "You say you want $1000 more than MSRP for the Ninja? How much did you say the Honda CBR was again?"

Its always a good idea to wait to buy a new model like this. The specs always look good, but a year from now we will know what if anything is wrong with it.