View Full Version : no spark need help 2004 ninja 250

bond343
August 26th, 2013, 09:28 AM
can't get spark on a 2004 ninja 250

I'm aware of all the necessary wiring and have the 100 ohm resistor wired in from the brown to grey wire, but am not getting spark still.

I've used a spark tester to verify power thru the coils and back to the box on the trip wire and can make it spark manually so i know the coils and power from the kill switch is ok. getting an ac pulse from the trigger at the box on the yellow and the black/white stripe wires. 12V DC on both trips and the brown/black stripe power wire. able to read 12V thru the black/yel and green/black ground wires. getting about 10V on the grey don't hot wire me wire, which i think is the culprit, but i'm not sure how much voltage is expected on this grey wire.

made a video in case what i've written above isn't making sense - http://youtu.be/RByFOFZtjtc

need to get this baby going, all help is appreciated

thanks for looking

Motofool
August 26th, 2013, 09:52 AM
can't get spark on a 2004 ninja 250

I'm aware of all the necessary wiring and have the 100 ohm resistor wired in from the brown to grey wire, but am not getting spark still.

Have you checked that the tab of the micro-switch by the clutch lever is not broken?

Check this out:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Understanding/troubleshooting_the_safety_switches

bond343
August 27th, 2013, 06:01 AM
yes, everything at the clutch lever is in tact fine and the switch grounds when lever is pulled in and sends thru the diode and to the neutral switch when the lever is out. on the green/black wire at the ecu that grounds thru the neutral switch or the clutch and side stand combo I'm receiving a good ground reading, and since the bike is in neutral, why would the clutch switch prevent it from getting spark?

bond343
August 27th, 2013, 06:03 AM
any chance you can check the voltage on the grey wire at your ecu and let me know what you are getting?

Motofool
August 27th, 2013, 06:12 AM
any chance you can check the voltage on the grey wire at your ecu and let me know what you are getting?

Sorry Joe, cannot do it.

bond343
August 27th, 2013, 06:28 AM
any other clues as to why this thing won't spark for me?

bond343
August 27th, 2013, 06:29 AM
also is that a can't or won't?!?

Motofool
August 27th, 2013, 08:02 AM
also is that a can't or won't?!?

No access to the bike + multimeter this week.

I see no reason for the reduced voltage, but I am no expert.
The resistor is for limiting current only.
I would check the diodes next.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

n4mwd
August 29th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Just saw the video. Your bike wont start because your battery is dead. Disconnect to charge back up (never while connected) and it will fire right up.

To test this, get a second battery and battery cables. Ignition on. Neg to rearset. Pos to starter term on starter (or better yet, to nut on same wire on solenoid).

EDIT: Be careful jumping directly to the starter because the carb (gas) is only about an inch away from the nut. Best to use motorcycle jumper cables. FYI - see my blog on battery health.