View Full Version : stock fork height over triple tree

Lychee
August 30th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I forgot to measure the height over the triple before I dropped the forks out last time. What is the stock height for the pregen?

choneofakind
August 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM
The stock risers will only allow the forks to go so high. Just push them up until they tap the risers and leave them there.

No measuring needed :thumbup:

alex.s
August 30th, 2013, 11:43 AM
1cm

Lychee
August 30th, 2013, 12:22 PM
1cm

Thanks. There is some space between the fork and the risers. I think raising the forks to touch the risers would alter the geometry of something important.

choneofakind
August 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Ummm... No there's not? The forks go right up to the bottom of the 36mm hole in the riser tower. So yours isn't stock.

Besides, you're looking at what, 3mm change? You're not going to mess up the geometry at all. My tail is raised an inch and a half. Lowering the nose 3mm won't make a dangerous change.

choneofakind
August 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM
You also want to take measurements for how high the forks are in the triples. It's hard to mess up with the 250, since the 250 bottoms out on the handlebar riser, but it's easy to make a mistake with most other bikes.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_replace_the_fork_seals%3F

EDIT: unless you have WC lowered riser towers. Those actually will allow the front to be lowered about 5mm over stock, if you so choose. If you have those and never lowered your front end, you'll have a little extra space between the fork and the riser tower.

alex.s
August 30th, 2013, 12:33 PM
with the wheel base of 55 inches, one inch difference in fork height means 2 degrees of rake difference.

choneofakind
August 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Right, I can do geometry too. Jon's front end has been LIFTED by a bit if he had space between his fork tops and riser towers. That's not how it is stock. Stock, the fork tops touch the bottom of the riser tower. That's my point.

So I'm saying he should just insert the forks until they touch the riser tower. a) he won't ever have to measure anything, and b) he will be at a proper stock geometry.

Lychee
August 30th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Chris... So, I should raise the fork to touch the bottom of the recess in the risers? I am no suspension guru, but I am learning as I go. My real problem is the bike's front feels really light and vague in corners. I thought that raising the forks any more than they already are would worsen that. I was thinking of lowering the forks, the opposite. The risers are stock.

choneofakind
August 30th, 2013, 01:06 PM
Right. :thumbup:

Just push them up (or lower the triple, whatever syntax you want to use) until the bottom of the forks touches the riser. That's how it is from the factory.

If your front end feels vague in turns, have you made any modifications to the front end? Springs, oil, emulators, tapered bearings, different tire? Those will all help with the vague feeling.

Lychee
August 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Right. :thumbup:

Just push them up (or lower the triple, whatever syntax you want to use) until the bottom of the forks touches the riser. That's how it is from the factory.

If your front end feels vague in turns, have you made any modifications to the front end? Springs, oil, emulators, tapered bearings, different tire? Those will all help with the vague feeling.

OK I will try it, what the hell. Yes I have done all of those except tapered bearings. Sadly I think it is more vague now than before I started messing with the fork. I must have one of the other settings wrong... :confused: