View Full Version : Pirelli tires........grrrreat

GREY NINJA
August 31st, 2013, 05:24 PM
Well I just installed some new tires for the killer bee ninja 2002 and I must say that it is a much better ride compared to the old Dunlap that I had. Oh yet it's the Pirelli sports demons but you must go up to a 90's instead of stock 80's

kirk595x
August 31st, 2013, 06:17 PM
:thumbup:

peterpayne
August 31st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Well I just installed some new tires for the killer bee ninja and I must say that it is a much better ride compared to the old Dunlap that I had. Oh yet it's the Pirelli sports demons but you must go up to a 90's instead of stock 80's

Yeah but center stand may not be tall enough to lift the rear tire off the ground, mine came with sport demons, this is my first bike and don't know better but I think I'll look for sport demons when I need to replace them.

TonyKZ1
August 31st, 2013, 08:45 PM
Your center stand height will be fine. The Pirelli Sport Demons are a very popular and well known replacement set of tires. I among many other people have ran these tires with no clearance problems. These and the Kenda K671s are pretty much my favorite tires.
Tony

az3200
September 1st, 2013, 10:15 PM
i'm running sport demons also with no problems. The center stand still functions fine, and I like the way the front tire fills up the fender.

GREY NINJA
September 4th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah but center stand may not be tall enough to lift the rear tire off the ground, mine came with sport demons, this is my first bike and don't know better but I think I'll look for sport demons when I need to replace them. The center stand has no effect at all, operate just like stock tires would

peterpayne
September 5th, 2013, 06:41 AM
The center stand has no effect at all, operate just like stock tires would

Cool, Maybe I just thought the stock rear tire would have some clearance off the ground, or maybe my center stand is a bit low for some reason, it works but I can't spin the wheel freely to do something like easily inspect and lube the chain.

az3200
September 5th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Cool, Maybe I just thought the stock rear tire would have some clearance off the ground, or maybe my center stand is a bit low for some reason, it works but I can't spin the wheel freely to do something like easily inspect and lube the chain.

I have sport demons on the front and rear and when i use the center stand, I can still freely spin the back tire. I did notice going from the 80's to the 90's that there was less clearance when on the center stand but not enough i couldn't spin it to lube the chain

peterpayne
September 5th, 2013, 03:16 PM
I have sport demons on the front and rear and when i use the center stand, I can still freely spin the back tire. I did notice going from the 80's to the 90's that there was less clearance when on the center stand but not enough i couldn't spin it to lube the chain

Maybe some further investigation is due, I may be making an assumption (therefore making an ass out of myself and mption), or something's missing from my center stand...

GREY NINJA
September 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM
If I remember, I will show you picture with ninja on center stand:cool:

peterpayne
September 6th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Maybe some further investigation is due, I may be making an assumption, or something's missing from my center stand...

GREY NINJA
September 9th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Pirelli sport demon 130/90-16 bike is sitting on center stand

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 14th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Yeah but center stand may not be tall enough to lift the rear tire off the ground, mine came with sport demons, this is my first bike and don't know better but I think I'll look for sport demons when I need to replace them.

2x4 under the center stand will probably do the trick. Or just a jack underneath the oil drain bolt.

GREY NINJA
September 14th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Look at picture #12 as you can see with the Pirelli sport demon in size 100/90-16 front & 130/90-16 rear mounted on a ninja 250cc when it is on it's center stand there will be no problem with clearance:)

fast1075
October 5th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I have 800 miles on the Sport Demons. When on the center stand (it is VERY easy to put on the center stand), the tire barely rubs the ground.
I do all my maintenance on my bike lift, so using my jack to pick the back end up a bit is no problem.

I find the tires to be very neutral. Not the best turn in ever, but still very flickable. They hold a line like the bike is on rails. I am still learning how to ride the bike, and find myself realizing "I could have pushed a LOT harder". Not a single slip or bobble, or slide, or any bad manners at all. Does not try to stand up while trail braking.

They run smooth with no weight needed. Have good manners in the rain. I am very pleased with them. The profile may keep me from using ALL of the tire without going to crazy lean angles. (ok, I admit, I'm nearly 60 and have some degree of self preservation instinct and a family that needs me at work every week day).

If one day, I change the wheels to 17", I will go with more sport oriented tires. I ran Pilot Powers on my Mutant DRZ400, and they stuck like glue at insane angles, and they are among my favorites along with S-20's and Q2 on the Buell.

Bottom line, For a Pre-Gen 250, so far at 800 miles, lovin' 'em.

GREY NINJA
October 13th, 2013, 08:22 AM
2x4 under the center stand will probably do the trick. Or just a jack underneath the oil drain bolt.

judge for yourself. There is way then enough clearence for rear tire rotation

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
October 13th, 2013, 10:33 AM
^^ Yeah I just wanted to put him/her at ease of mind. I run the same tires. :thumbup:

Dragone
October 13th, 2013, 12:06 PM
hmm, I am putting on the 16 inch pirelli diablo scooter tires to try out. Love the sport demons on the EX500 ie 17" rims.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
October 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Worst case scenario you have to buy a rear stand which can be had for ~$40. No spools required if you buy the right one. You can also cut weight by losing the centerstand afterwards.

Qomomoko
September 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM
hmm, I am putting on the 16 inch pirelli diablo scooter tires to try out. Love the sport demons on the EX500 ie 17" rims.

How are the Pirelli diablo Scooter doing? I have ran them at the track 3 track day and they still seem fine; it is a track bike only.

Finesse
September 28th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Yay, I loved my sport demons. However, i could NOT freely spin the back wheel when the bike was on the center stand. I wonder why, as my bike was not lowered and as far as I know the center stand was not modified. I loved those tires though, they made the bike handle great! Good choice!

peterpayne
September 30th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Yay, I loved my sport demons. However, i could NOT freely spin the back wheel when the bike was on the center stand. I wonder why, as my bike was not lowered and as far as I know the center stand was not modified. I loved those tires though, they made the bike handle great! Good choice!

The same happened to me, but just placing a 1" thick piece of wood under the centerstand would give me the clearance I needed.

Cheers!

Mike K
October 24th, 2014, 05:11 PM

Dragone-- Same question. Wondering about the scooter tires.
Thanks

Mike K
October 28th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Nevermind-- I found the long discussion on another thread in which you commented.
Thanks