View Full Version : Changed coolant - drip from left exhaust

gp55445
September 14th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I bought my 2006 with 5600 miles and the coolant was dark in the reservoir tank so I changed it. ran it to get any air out of the system and the level in the tank is about half way between low and full which is the same level as before I changed it. I can't see any coolant when I take off the fill cap.

I noticed a drip coming from the left exhaust drain hole as it warmed up. There was also a faint amount of white smoke from only the left exhaust.

Prior to the change I never had this happen.

Is this normal? It's been raining so I haven't rode it yet to see if this stops.

Thx

GP

jkv45
September 14th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Fill the radiator first, with the cap off, start it up and give it a couple quick revs to 2000 or so to get everything moving. Chances are it will burp a couple of times when you run it, and refill to the top when it does. Run it until the level just starts to overflow. Shut it off and put the cap on it. Fill the reservoir to the cold mark.

Start it up and take a ride around the neighborhood until the temp get to the normal range, but watch that it doesn't go higher.

Return home and let it cool before opening the cap. Fill it again if it's down and set the level in the reservoir to the full cold mark again if needed.

The drip and white smoke (steam) sound like normal moisture coming from the exhaust to me.

Motofool
September 14th, 2013, 07:52 PM
..........I can't see any coolant when I take off the fill cap............

You need to refill the radiator as many times as needed.

The tank is only additional room for expansion and contraction of the coolant: the radiator needs to be full in order to be able to induce that transfer with pressure and vacuum.

Don't worry about the exhaust, it may be rain water that sneaked in.

gp55445
September 14th, 2013, 07:56 PM
You need to refill the radiator as many times as needed.

The tank is only additional room for expansion and contraction of the coolant: the radiator needs to be full in order to be able to induce that transfer with pressure and vacuum.

Don't worry about the exhaust, it may be rain water that sneaked in.

Thanks - didn't ride in the rain that's why I'm asking. I'll try the suggestions and give an update.

gp55445
September 15th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Looks like no more drips and the levels look good. Thanks for the help.

GP

Motofool
September 15th, 2013, 11:59 AM
You are welcome, Gregg :)

n4mwd
September 15th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Keep you eye on the coolant level at the radiator and watch out for more white smoke after the engine is warm. If the problem persists, it could be a blown head gasket. If you notice any slime looking stuff in the oil, then stop riding immediately.

Its probably nothing, but if you notice a continual drop in fluid from the radiator, but not so much from the reservoir, or slime in the oil, then its more serious.

gp55445
September 15th, 2013, 05:03 PM
That was my concern too. Went for a 40 min ride ride today - no white smoke and no more condensation from the left pipe. Levels are stable in the tank and radiator.