View Full Version : adjusting idle 07 ninja 250

james250ninja
September 15th, 2013, 08:51 AM
hi there in the winter cold days

will it hurt my bike to idle at 1500 instead of 1300..

it seems to have low idle in the cold days..i

Snake
September 15th, 2013, 08:53 AM
It won't hurt a thing. I do the same thing and and turn my idle up to about 1500.

james250ninja
September 15th, 2013, 09:01 AM
have u ever set it higher then 1500

Snake
September 15th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I think anything higher than that is too high.

Lychee
September 19th, 2013, 10:35 AM
You can set it higher if you like. It just holds the gas open a little, as if you were a little on the throttle all the time. It won't hurt the bike.

pimpybra
September 19th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I think my bike normally idles around 1800.... I've tried lowering it a bit, but it doesn't run smoothly.

(That being said, I'm well overdue for a valve adjustment and carb sync)

jkv45
September 19th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I think my bike normally idles around 1800.... I've tried lowering it a bit, but it doesn't run smoothly.

(That being said, I'm well overdue for a valve adjustment and carb sync)

Chances are the idle mixture could be adjusted.

pimpybra
September 19th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Chances are the idle mixture could be adjusted.

Those are the ones under the carbs that have a little plug/cap over them? I should see if those were messed with, the p/o did say that they carbs were fully reworked when I bought it last Sept, maybe they just did a bad job...

I'm afraid to futz with it, since it runs great :)

pimpybra
September 19th, 2013, 11:58 AM
Also, per the 250 wiki (http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is_the_engine_idle_speed%3F_How_do_I_adjust_it%3F):

Some of them run the idle at 1500-2000 rpm. It depends on what makes your bike happy. Set it where the bike seems to want to stay. It won't hurt anything, as long as you aren't setting it high enough to overheat in traffic.

On the other hand, you don't want to use a high idle to compensate for poor performance in other areas. As long as it will drop to your chosen idle rpm level and stay there, you're fine. If it hangs, or is hunting, you'll need to get that corrected, as that's a symptom of another problem.

jkv45
September 19th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Those are the ones under the carbs that have a little plug/cap over them? I should see if those were messed with, the p/o did say that they carbs were fully reworked when I bought it last Sept, maybe they just did a bad job...

I'm afraid to futz with it, since it runs great :)
It's up to you if you want to try to make it idle smoothly at lower RPMs.

If the caps are removed from the idle mixture screws you can carefully turn them in while counting the number of turns until it gently seats. Should be in the 2.5 range usually. Check that both are the same, and it never hurts to do a carb sync if you haven't lately.