View Full Version : Strange Electrical

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 17th, 2013, 01:35 PM
I've had aftermarket headlights for a while now but I've just switched to an LED bulb. My lights worked fine but when I put the LED bulb in it will only turn on in neutral now. When I kick it into 1st gear the light turns off. I swapped the wire with the old lights so it's not my neutral indicator wire if you're wondering.... With my digital gauge the neutral bulb will only light up when my switch is on high beam...... I haven't started digging yet but has anyone had anything like this happen to them???

alex.s
September 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM
check the clutch lever sensor and wiring on the left handlebar

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 17th, 2013, 01:48 PM
check the clutch lever sensor and wiring on the left handlebar

I don't follow... You think something has become defect in the dimmer switch wiring?

alex.s
September 17th, 2013, 01:52 PM
you are probably using the ground line that goes to the clutch signal as your headlight which was fine before with a high resistance halogen but now that its a low resistance LED its grounding out the clutch sensor? i donno, but it sounds like something gone ****ed about the clutch signal.

the fact it starts in neutral means the neutral indicator works fine. the fact it doesn't start in first with the clutch pulled means the clutch sensor is not working correctly.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
you are probably using the ground line that goes to the clutch signal as your headlight which was fine before with a high resistance halogen but now that its a low resistance LED its grounding out the clutch sensor? i donno, but it sounds like something gone ****ed about the clutch signal.

the fact it starts in neutral means the neutral indicator works fine. the fact it doesn't start in first with the clutch pulled means the clutch sensor is not working correctly.

Woops! I meant the light only turns on in neutral...not the bike! The bike starts fine!

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 18th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Checked tonight and the LED is on the right wire (red w/ yellow stripe) yet it still only works when I'm in neutral lolololol. Gonna check out the junction box tomorrow to see if anything has made a connection it shouldn't have....??????????????

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 18th, 2013, 06:02 PM
This must be some sort of clue: I can start the bike in gear, but I never intentionally modified my clutch switch..........?????

Motofool
September 18th, 2013, 06:58 PM
This must be some sort of clue: I can start the bike in gear, but I never intentionally modified my clutch switch..........?????

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleaning_and_servicing_the_clutch_switch

n4mwd
September 19th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Remember that LED's are "Light Emitting DIODES" so the current only flows one way. Try reversing the polarity.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 19th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Remember that LED's are "Light Emitting DIODES" so the current only flows one way. Try reversing the polarity.

I'd suspect a reverse polarity condition had the lights never come on. The light came with a try me button and so I was able to see where the + and - hooked up to when i wired it in. Looks like some work with a multimeter tonight.

n4mwd
September 19th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I'd suspect a reverse polarity condition had the lights never come on. The light came with a try me button and so I was able to see where the + and - hooked up to when i wired it in. Looks like some work with a multimeter tonight.

You should study the lighting circuit diagram to see what is going on. There are a lot of strange wiring techniques going on in the ninja. Stuff like the turn signal indicator shorts through the turn signal bulb on the opposite side for a ground. For the headlight, there is a relay that controls it all. How did you wire that up?

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 19th, 2013, 01:24 PM
You should study the lighting circuit diagram to see what is going on. There are a lot of strange wiring techniques going on in the ninja. Stuff like the turn signal indicator shorts through the turn signal bulb on the opposite side for a ground. For the headlight, there is a relay that controls it all. How did you wire that up?

It's been a few months but I would have spliced the wires directly together via wire nuts. The wiring diagram is only so helpful so it looks like I'm gonna have to trace wires until my eyes bleed.

n4mwd
September 19th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Here is an easier to follow schematic that shows how the headlight is connected to the relay and the alternator.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 23rd, 2013, 01:24 PM
Ok, it seems I had the ground wire of the LED to the wrong wire! That issue was fixed and I have a high and low beam now (whenever the bike is running hehe) but NOW the headlight and the turn signals alternate! When I put the right turn signal on it will blink and at the same time turn off the LED and when it is not blinking the LED will run......???????

n4mwd
September 23rd, 2013, 02:42 PM
You have a short somewhere. The turn signal and headlight circuits are completely independent. Headlights are on fuse 5 and turn signals are on fuse 1. Turn signal schematic attached.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 23rd, 2013, 04:46 PM
Interesting! I just gotta get off my butt and trace some wires I guess.... arghhh

I do enjoy wiring but personally I like to work with thicker gauges not this microscopic stuff.