View Full Version : What if I'm missing the header gaskets/rings?

peterpayne
September 23rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
So I just had to reinstall headers and OEM mufflers, due to PO's idea of an exhaust upgrade....

So I noticed my bike did not have such gaskets or copper rings, I put it together like that I hear a quiet but noticeable air leak where the header connects to the engine.

How bad is this, and do I need those gaskets, or would some high temp silicone fix this?

I saw some gaskets on ebay made of something like braided steel that they claim work better than the copper rings...

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

tc.young
September 23rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
you should have the gaskets as without it, your exhaust is flowing more freely and causes a lean condition on your bike. do you need it? well it runs, as you just proved so no. should you have it, yes. and silicon belongs in fake bewbs only. i would go with OEM and not worry about it after. who knows what your buying on ebay. besides, gaskets are meant to be used once generally.

peterpayne
September 23rd, 2013, 05:37 PM
you should have the gaskets as without it, your exhaust is flowing more freely and causes a lean condition on your bike. do you need it? well it runs, as you just proved so no. should you have it, yes. and silicon belongs in fake bewbs only. i would go with OEM and not worry about it after. who knows what your buying on ebay. besides, gaskets are meant to be used once generally.

Thanks!, I see you have the two bikes I want to have, I already got the ninjette, now I want a klr... if only they were as cheap as ninjettes... oh well...