View Full Version : Downloadable Gaskets For The Pregen

n4mwd
September 27th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I just updated my blog to include the Oil Screen and Clutch Cover gaskets that can be downloaded and printed onto gasket paper.

See my blog below for more specifics on how to print them correctly.

I'm attaching them here as well.

Motofool
September 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Amazing; mind specifying the thickness?

Thanks D !!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
September 27th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Wow! Never selling my 250...

n4mwd
September 28th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Amazing; mind specifying the thickness?

Thanks D !!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Should be able to use THIS (http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_gasket-materials-felpro_5189950-p).

Its 1/32 in. (10 in. x 26 in.) sheets.

I'm not sure about the alternator cover. That gasket is fiber covered metal, although I am not sure why. I haven't posted that one yet.

Motofool
September 28th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Thanks, again !!!

Copied from a review in that link:
"The packaging lists it as applicable to sealing air, oil, fuel or water."

Singh2jz
September 30th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Thanks, again !!!

Copied from a review in that link:
"The packaging lists it as applicable to sealing air, oil, fuel or water."

Just to be sure...it should work for both?

n4mwd
September 30th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Paper is what the factory uses for the oil screen and clutch cover, but Advance also sells rubberized gasket material. I would personally prefer something like that because it can probably be reused (unlike paper).

I haven't posted the alternator cover gasket yet, but when I do, you could probably use the rubberized material for that because the factory ones are actually paper coated metal.

Anybody know why the factory used metal on that side?

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
October 20th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Printed these today.

A couple important things to point out is that when opening these using Adobe Reader it may set it to a scale other than actual size. To set it to the correct scale click the "print" button and when in the page layout menu there is a drop down menu for "page scaling" where you want to select "none".

For the clutch cover gasket you want to also check the box that says "choose paper source by pdf size".

That will auto select a 11" x 17" layout, or it did for me at least.

I printed mine at Kinkos so they were done on regular printer paper instead of gasket paper. I'm just gonna cut them out and lay them on the gasket material and trace....

n4mwd
October 20th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Its usually not hard to talk the office supply printer clerk into using your paper as long as its clean and not greasy or something. Also, a lot of times gasket paper comes rolled up and you would need to flatten it out before they would touch it.

Unfortunately, you have to print full scale (scaling = none) for the gaskets. Always check the scaling to make sure the printer worked correctly. There are scale marks in both directions for both gaskets. Measure those with a ruler or caliper to make sure they are the correct length. If you are just going to trace and cut from regular paper, you can use a standard printer which will print two halves of the 11x17 page on 8.5x11 paper.

The oil screen and alternator gaskets should print fine on regular printers using gasket paper.

Lastly, I honestly don't know what the difference is between gasket paper and regular card stock paper. Motofool Is gasket paper made of special stuff? Special coating?

Motofool
October 20th, 2013, 01:42 PM
.......... Motofool Is gasket paper made of special stuff? Special coating?

Not that I know, D.

I have used folder board for centuries without a single problem.

The function of any gasket under compression force is just to fill up the microscopic imperfections of any metal surface, avoiding any liquid to find a path.

Many mechanics even soak the gasket in oil, in order to make it flow more completely into those imperfections.

For high pressure and temperature functions, a soft metal is used.

For gaskets that keep narrow tolerances, the thickness is critical.

n4mwd
October 20th, 2013, 02:33 PM
The equivalent paper size would be 20 point card stock which is pretty much what they used for business cards. Unfortunately, I'm not seeing a lot of it for sale in 11x17 sheets. Probably regular gasket paper would be best.

I measured file folder paper and its only 9 pts. So it would be worth an experiment to ask them to print it on the thickest card stock they have and hope its close to business card thickness.