View Full Version : how screwed up is this?

peterpayne
October 6th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Long story short I broke this screw that holds the header pipes...

Fixable?
http://i.imgur.com/Gm3EabW.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
October 6th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I think it's threaded on both sides. Take some vice grips and see if you can unscrew the whole thing.

Do you go riding through mud a lot or something?

Worst case scenario you'll just need a screw extractor, drill bit and a punch. Possibly a tap to rethread it.....

Motofool
October 6th, 2013, 07:47 PM
.....Fixable?

Yes; as explained above.

I would use some heat on the bolt because that should be very tight after 6 years in there.

Before you give up, weld some cross bar on the stud (previously disconnecting the battery).

peterpayne
October 7th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I think it's threaded on both sides. Take some vice grips and see if you can unscrew the whole thing.

Do you go riding through mud a lot or something?

Worst case scenario you'll just need a screw extractor, drill bit and a punch. Possibly a tap to rethread it.....

Yeah, last time I went out I rode in the mud for a bit, and did not wash it..

Thanks, I think you're right about it being threaded on both ends.

peterpayne
October 7th, 2013, 08:23 PM
Yes; as explained above.

I would use some heat on the bolt because that should be very tight after 6 years in there.

Before you give up, weld some cross bar on the stud (previously disconnecting the battery).

Thanks!, I'll start by using some penetrating oil such as WD-40 probably for a couple of days.... I don't want to risk breaking the stud where it goes into the engine, I really don't...

fast1075
October 8th, 2013, 03:21 AM
WD-40 is not a good penetrant, it is designed to displace water (WD = Water Displacing). Go to the auto parts store and get a can of Seafoam "Deep Creep". Use a propane torch to heat up the stud boss (the cylindrical aluminum projection the stud screws into) a little, then spray on the deep creep. Repeat a few times. Give it a few days.

Then warm it up and unscrew the stud. You only want to warm it up a little, so the aluminum expands. If you get it too hot, the stud will also expand.

The proper tool to use is called a stud puller. You may be able to rent one at Autozone. ****CAUTION**** Do not apply any side load to the old stud while breaking it loose. If it does not want to unscrew without much force, repeat the heat soak/deep creep applications. If you break the stud off, you are in a world of poo.

jkv45
October 8th, 2013, 06:45 AM
^ That's what I'd do with it as well. The right amount of heat will help a lot in that situation.

When you feel it start to move, go forward, then back, as you turn it out - moving slowly only about 1/8 turn out or less each time. It should get easier as you go, but backing-up occasionally is a good idea and usually helps keep it from snapping.

The same type of back-and-forth movement works well if you have spark plugs that are really snug and difficult to remove.

crazymadbastard
October 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM
anyone use the "CRC Freeze Off" penetrant?

Supposedly supercools the the bolt to make it shrink and allow penetrant to soak in better.