View Full Version : Odometer problem...needs to be fix asap

azian4lifz
October 9th, 2013, 01:24 PM
ok so my milage counter doesn't run correctly ill be driving a mile or 2 and it'll say 58 miles driven. I bought the pre gen 250 like this and i'm not sure how to fix it. I need to get it fix because I need to know when the change my gas instead of giving my bike a little shake.
my milage reader doesn't work correctly i'm afriad the bike milage might be incorrect too??

FrugalNinja250
October 9th, 2013, 05:41 PM
The odometers on the Ninja are driven directly by gears, both at the hub and up in the cluster. There's no room for slipping, nothing can turn faster than the wheel turns the hub gearing. The only thing I can think of is that maybe something is stripped in the odometer wheels, those are the parts that have the numbers, but that's pretty improbable since the expected result is that the numbers don't turn at all. The only solution would be to replace the speedometer head.

azian4lifz
October 12th, 2013, 04:39 AM
thanks

The_big_dill
October 12th, 2013, 11:13 AM
You should also be using your petcock to identify how much fuel you have. I for one have seen pretty big differences between when i was driving hard and going easy as well as when my mileage dropped due to different reasons.

GREY NINJA
October 13th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Your mileage counter may need to be repaired/replaced because of sticking

CZroe
May 27th, 2014, 02:29 PM
If you are reading the trip meter, you may be reading it incorrectly. You sure it wasn't reading 5.8 miles and not 58 miles?

Singh2jz
May 29th, 2014, 12:25 AM
If you are reading the trip meter, you may be reading it incorrectly. You sure it wasn't reading 5.8 miles and not 58 miles?

Could the speedo cable cause this if it's not lubed regularly?

FrugalNinja250
June 2nd, 2014, 03:28 PM
Could the speedo cable cause this if it's not lubed regularly?

No. The only way to make the odo read more miles than actual is if something's jammed up or damaged in the odometer number wheels such that the higher number wheels get turned more than one number per full turn of each successive lower denomination. The cage the wheels are in is crimped together to make tampering difficult to do and easy to discover, and the plastic parts inside the wheels are not repairable anyway. Ultimately it would be cheaper and easier to just get a new speedo head.

A sticky speedo cable will cause the speedo needle to be jumpy, but it cannot change the hard-geared ratio of turns between the wheel and the odometer 10ths digit wheel.

hobosmeller
June 2nd, 2014, 06:02 PM
I know this doesn't fix your problem on the bike but if you have a smart phone you can download an app to track your fuel usage. some have alerts whn you get to a certain amount which in turn can help you know when it's time to fill up

fast1075
June 3rd, 2014, 02:26 AM
You may have to change the speedo assembly. If you do....remember this....if you try to reset the trip meter while moving, it can kill the trip meter. Always reset it before you ride away.