View Full Version : Something loose in the front end

The_big_dill
October 13th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Hey all,

So i have noticed that when i ride the bike, something doesn't feel good when I lean to turn. This problem has existed for a while, but i had bigger issues to deal with at the time.

Originally i thought it may be the tires or something I couldn't describe, but then when i let a Kawasaki mechanic ride it, he told me that something is "loose."

I have already re-adjusted the handlebars by loosening the triple clamp and tightening in the correct position, this helped with going straight when my handlebars were straight.

I am running the Dunlop K330 which i have heard give "unpredictable control" if that makes a difference.

In more detail: Whenever i lean to turn, it feels like the wheel naturally wants to resist the turn and go straight, its not a continuous pull, but more like pulsing.

Sorry for the bad explanation... :\

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. i need to replace my steering bearing, if that may cause this issue.

Felipe the Ant
October 13th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Replace the bearing and go from there, you already know it needs to be replaced

Dragone
October 13th, 2013, 12:24 PM
P.S. i need to replace my steering bearing, if that may cause this issue.

or adjust it. Good luck

The_big_dill
October 13th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Could that really cause something to feel loose in the front end?

What are the simptoms of having a worn steering bearing? (i already know the notching that you get when you turn the handlebars).

Dragone
October 13th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Could that really cause something to feel loose in the front end?

What are the simptoms of having a worn steering bearing? (i already know the notching that you get when you turn the handlebars).

Your steering geometry will be out of whack so to speak. Poor feedback from the frontend plus the notchy explaination from your previous post.

csmith12
October 13th, 2013, 01:55 PM
You sure it needs replaced? Is there a popping sound when push down on the forks? Try to tighten it up a bit before replacing. You could also take it out repack with grease and tighten as needed. Otherwise, you have it in front of you and know what you need.

The_big_dill
October 13th, 2013, 02:05 PM
You sure it needs replaced? Is there a popping sound when push down on the forks? Try to tighten it up a bit before replacing. You could also take it out repack with grease and tighten as needed. Otherwise, you have it in front of you and know what you need.

Well, when i was getting it safetied, they told me that it needs that bearing replaced, they opened it up and re-adjusted it, but that was only temporary. If i am going to dig that deep to repack them, i would much rather replace them, after all, i do not know the history of the previous 13 owners with this bike in the past 26 years...

Lychee
October 15th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Have you checked your front tire pressure?

Replace with tapered roller bearings if possible. The bearings are literally a few balls of steel. If one gets dented or dimpled enough, the whole thing acts funny.

CZroe
May 27th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Check your engine mount bolts and look for a bend in the frame under the tank.