View Full Version : Tach does not exceed 4k

bryzenga
October 14th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Hello,
I am new here and this is the first bike I have ever owned, so I am not exactly experienced on working on these, but I am no stranger to wrenching. Just got this bike about a week ago. I just got it running yesterday after taking the carbs apart and cleaning them out real good. The bike runs good, but when I rev the bike up, the tach will only go to 4k and then it will no longer climb even though the rpms are climbing. I tried searching, but almost all of the threads I found were in regards to the 07+ models. Any ideas as to what I might need to change or look at? Any help is appreciated!

jkv45
October 15th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Not sure if it's your problem, but we had a weak battery in out Ninja that cause the tach to give unusual reading.

Or some bad electrical connections.

That's about all I can think of.

bryzenga
October 15th, 2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Battery is brand new. I'll double check connections.
Took it for a spin for the first time tonight. Speedo works, bike runs good, but still have the issue with the tach. Anyone know where the tach gets it's signal from?

bryzenga
October 18th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Updating the thread to say that I figured it out. The needle itself was sticking. After taking the cluster apart and cleaning it out, the tach started to work properly.

Motofool
October 18th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Updating the thread to say that I figured it out. The needle itself was sticking. After taking the cluster apart and cleaning it out, the tach started to work properly.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: