View Full Version : Cafe'd 250

woodyshin
October 23rd, 2013, 09:44 AM
Wall of text coming:

In mid 2012, I took the MSF and got my license endorsement. Life promptly told me a bike was not in the immediate future with work and other responsibilities. As they say in Rounders, I had the fork and knife, but no steak. I was geared up with nothing to ride.

The reason my interest in bikes started was after I saw a picture of the newer Triumph Bonneville/Thruxton. It was the epitome of what I wanted in a motorcycle. While waiting for life to give me some time, I researched bikes, riding theory, and ogled pictures. It was here where I made my decision to buy a "starter" bike that I was inevitably going to drop. It seemed as though half the people said to buy what I want, and the other half saying to buy small and learn.

I chose the latter and picked up what I thought was a pretty good deal: 2000 Ninja 250, 10,xxx miles, ran well (had riding friend go with me and confirm), dropped on the left side (some plastic damage, missing left mirror, etc.) but the engine seemed solid. $650 bucks.

I brought it home and promptly took it apart to see what went where, how things were held on, and just to tinker. I got the title in my name, got temporary plates, and rode around my neighborhood happy as a clam. I decided I would practice before going into the bigger streets with other traffic.

Along the way, I decided to make some upgrades/repairs/maintenance: Painted the wheels (purple isn't my thing), new x-race rearsets, woodcraft lowered risers, new levers, new clutch cable, oil change, coolant flush, brake fluid change, etc. Maybe I overdid it but I wanted to be on my maintenance schedule and not just assume the previous owner did what he said.

And then I saw the Blue Collar Bobber cafe'd Ninja. I got Cafe crazy and bought it justifying the cheap price of the bike. It seemed steep, but the kit is amazing and very straightforward. I finished building it over 3 days while I was at home waiting for the government to reopen. The instructions were spot on and I had a lot of fun. I'll try and get some better pics but this is what I have so far, I hope you enjoy.

***I'm not an employee of BCB, just a happy customer***

Click on Link for Album
http://imgur.com/a/kzbvu

woodyshin
October 23rd, 2013, 09:54 AM
Sorry about the pictures, didn't resize them before uploading. :eek: Maybe use the zoom out tool just for the pics?

And the paint, yeah, about that . . . plastidip. It looks okay from a distance but I screwed up the white stripes if you look at it close up. I'll probably get it painted later.

alex.s
October 23rd, 2013, 09:55 AM
your photos don't work because they are the private versions from your drop box. you gotta post the public versions or post them somewhere like imgur.com or even upload them directly to the post...

do that. cause i want to see them.

woodyshin
October 23rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
your photos don't work because they are the private versions from your drop box. you gotta post the public versions or post them somewhere like imgur.com or even upload them directly to the post...

do that. cause i want to see them.

Doh. . .lemme fix this . . .

chugs
October 23rd, 2013, 03:17 PM
Nice, looks good.:thumbup:

massacremasses
October 23rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
I saw that awhile ago. they look good. Good job. If I could pick one up that cheap Id prolly go that route. How much did that kit cost?

woodyshin
October 23rd, 2013, 04:46 PM
I saw that awhile ago. they look good. Good job. If I could pick one up that cheap Id prolly go that route. How much did that kit cost?

It was a little over $1500. Came with all lighting/wiring, front tire, leather seat, cafe butt, front fender, rear under fender, and all the random brackets and jigs for cutting off the rear end. Probably a bunch of other stuff I cant remember now but it was really complete. Oh, the alumimum gauge cluster....nice touch. A little big but nice imo.

massacremasses
October 24th, 2013, 07:29 AM
yeah youd deff want a cheap loaner then... I didnt realize it was that much. Its pretty rad though.

crazymadbastard
October 29th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Nice job. I think they should break up the kit though so some can get pieces as the can . I think BCb could sell a butt load of those dashes too.