View Full Version : Issue with K&N pods

parox91
October 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM
So i got the K&N R-0990 and installed it on my bike and after installation, the bike would only run with full choke and when given any throttle it would die.

I have a dynojet kit so I replaced the jets with 114's and turned the idle mixture screws out to 4 turns, still have the same issue... not sure if it's running too rich or too lean.

I know my bike is a PITA but come on!

Edit: using stock exhaust.

quarterliter
October 27th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Um arent the dynojet jets larger than the keihins for the same number? Think your main is way to big.

infinitewhiskey
October 27th, 2013, 04:19 PM
So i got the K&N R-0990 and installed it on my bike and after installation, the bike would only run with full choke and when given any throttle it would die.

I have a dynojet kit so I replaced the jets with 114's and turned the idle mixture screws out to 4 turns, still have the same issue... not sure if it's running too rich or too lean.

I know my bike is a PITA but come on!

Edit: using stock exhaust.

114 and idle out 4 turns is way rich for just pods.

I'm running Keihin 110 (or 108, forgot, probably 110 though) main jets, idle at 3.5 turns, and 2 shims on each needle, at an 860 ft elevation with a ****** 2-1 exhaust and slip on.

The FAQ guide if you haven't seen it yet. (http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_to_fine-tune_your_jetting)

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
October 27th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Wouldn't touch the idle screws until you get the mains dialed in.

I have factory pro jets but just for reference I went to 110 mains from the stock 105s when I threw pods on at sea level....

parox91
October 27th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Alright, so i dropped in 110 jets like you guys said, and my baby fired right up. oh boy does it sound a lot meaner than before... managed to bunny hop it on the on-ramp getting on the highway lol.

You're right about 4 turns out being too much, the mixture is rich but im happy it's working now, I'm gonna tinker with that the next chance i get.

Thanks guys for all your help. Now to find a place with a cheap front tire to get rid of wobbles...

choneofakind
October 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM
rebalance your front tire and adjust the slop out of your stem

parox91
October 27th, 2013, 06:21 PM
rebalance your front tire and adjust the slop out of your stem

i dont think that's going to help, they repaved my road and the bump to one of my driveways got really sharp... i've hit it hard a few times on my ninja so i think my tire might be getting warped

choneofakind
October 27th, 2013, 06:28 PM
pick the front end off the ground and spin the front tire to check for irregular shape. I've never heard of a warped tire, but it's worth checking for I guess.

parox91
October 28th, 2013, 06:41 AM
I ordered a perelli sport demon to replace my bt 45 in the front, thanks for your suggestions but this tire really has to go, cornering is getting epic scary.