View Full Version : Tire/wheel questions

Singh2jz
October 29th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Okay guys, I bought this new-gen wheel off of ebay and wanted to know if the tire is junk. I won't mind if it is, but it'd be cool if it wasn't! :thumbup:
If you look closely at the sidewall, you'll notice the cuts/openings right next to the edge of the rim. Are those okay?

The next thing I want to know is if I can run the new-gen rim with 130/70 bt45 for the rear while retaining the stock 16 in the front w/ 100/90 bt45.

Lemme know what you know..lolzz

Thanks!

tfkrocks
October 29th, 2013, 06:21 PM
Cracks in the sidewall are bad. Toss it.

Motofool
October 29th, 2013, 06:34 PM
It seems to me that the tire has been abused while kept at lower than optimal pressure.

The cracks may be only superficial (not dangerous) or deep (dangerous if cutting through the layers of non-rubber material).

Check the date of the tire that is stamped on the sidewall (four consecutive numbers showing the week number and the year of manufacturing).
If over five years, the rubber may be too hard to perform as intended.

The rear of your bike will grow up about half and inch, making the steering more touchy and less self-correcting.

Besides, you will not find radial options for the front and installing bias and radial type in the same bike is bad (and even dangerous) for handling, as they work in a different way.

jkv45
October 29th, 2013, 07:36 PM
Junk.

Alex
October 29th, 2013, 07:38 PM
From those pictures, those look pretty deep to me. A little surface cracking is usually just cosmetic, but I think these would worry me.

Singh2jz
October 30th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I've got something to rest my gas tank on now lol..

The rear of your bike will grow up about half and inch, making the steering more touchy and less self-correcting.

Besides, you will not find radial options for the front and installing bias and radial type in the same bike is bad (and even dangerous) for handling, as they work in a different way.

wait..aren't the bt45's bias ply?

Alex
October 30th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Yes, they are bias-ply.

Singh2jz
October 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Okay, cool. 100/90-16 in the front and 130/70-17 in the back will be no problemo. Only issue being the raised height in the back causing the front to be more touchy. Should I just find a new gen wheel and search here how to fit it on the stock forks? Because there's no other reason to change the forks.

Motofool
October 30th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Okay, cool. 100/90-16 in the front and 130/70-17 in the back will be no problemo.......

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_mount_up_bigger_wheels

Singh2jz
October 30th, 2013, 03:49 PM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_want_to_mount_up_bigger_wheels

I've already seen that page lol. I already have the new-gen swingarm, shock, and shock-linkage. Just waiting on the rear brake setup. I'm not being a douche am I? lol..just wanted a reason to get rid of the stockers and try something new :/

Motofool
October 30th, 2013, 04:10 PM
I've already seen that page lol. I already have the new-gen swingarm, shock, and shock-linkage. Just waiting on the rear brake setup. I'm not being a douche am I? lol..just wanted a reason to get rid of the stockers and try something new :/

I don't know how difficult the adaptation really is, I only have that reference.

Now, if the steering gets too crazy, you can always lift the trees respect to the tubes some, there is like 1/2 inch margin for that.
That way the head angle and trail can return to normal some.

Best luck with your project, ...... now you own us some pictures !!!

Singh2jz
October 30th, 2013, 04:42 PM
I don't know how difficult the adaptation really is, I only have that reference.

Now, if the steering gets too crazy, you can always lift the trees respect to the tubes some, there is like 1/2 inch margin for that.
That way the head angle and trail can return to normal some.

Best luck with your project, ...... now you own us some pictures !!!

The new-gen swingarm and the shock are a direct fit.

What do you mean by "too crazy?" like too sensitive? Thanks for helping me out! I appreciate it.

Pictures will come when I start working on it :thumbup:

choneofakind
October 30th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Check out one of the racing threads that talks about the compatibility of newgen parts on pregens. There's some business that offers the proper sized spacers and whatnot to run a newgen front wheel on the pregen forks. It's only like $250 for the parts. You supply your own newgen wheel.

Much better to use someone else's experience than to waste time fabbing it yourself.

Motofool
October 30th, 2013, 04:59 PM
..........What do you mean by "too crazy?" like too sensitive? Thanks for helping me out! I appreciate it.

Yes, sorry, used poor wording.
I like my steering light or sensitive; some times it scares me a little because shows zero sign of wanting to return to the central position and a lot of disposition to over-steer.

You are welcome :)

choneofakind has experimented with the rear of his pre-gen bike higher as well and he probably can tell you more about it.

choneofakind
October 30th, 2013, 05:02 PM
You've got a lot of play room with raising the tail/lowering the front before you run into trouble. ;)

Also, do the math. You'll figure out that the OD of the OEM newgen tire size is very very similar to the OD of the OEM pregen tire size. I think you've got nothing to worry about. But take some repeatable measurements before and after just to be sure. You should be just fine to adjust it as needed by moving the forks relative to the triples.

Rollingmenace
October 30th, 2013, 05:21 PM

the new gen suspension and swinger is a direct bolt in... ask me how I know... :) ..since you do have the new gen parts.. ride height adjustments to lower rear can be accomplished simply by drilling a new hole on the dogbones

as far as the mode for getting the new gen front wheel on old gen forks ... from what I understand its just a matter of milling(grinding) the wheel spacers to get wheel centered... and modifying the caliper bracket.. I have a few pics of others work that has done that ill try to find em or send a link to you here....

I was planning on using the old gen forks on my front until I scored the entire new gen suspension.. only real difference is 36mm tubes as opposed to new are 37mm but all the internals are interchangeable...

keep a lookout on ebay for the brake parts and be patient I scored my caliper, line and caliper bracket for a pretty good deal... all im missing is the rotor now

Singh2jz
October 31st, 2013, 01:03 AM
Legit..thanks guys!

Can't wait to get my hands dirty..:)