View Full Version : Speedometer gear and seal issue

itslocfoo
October 31st, 2013, 09:17 PM
Hi!
today i removed my speedometer to replace the gear but soon after getting the speedometer (41078) out, i encountered a small issue. The grease seal (92049) is impossible to remove. i dont know how to take it out from its container. Any idea of how i could remove it? do i have to buy a new grease seal?
if i do could you link me to the cheapest one :D
hahah thank you!

on the 2nd picture. the gear on my fingers is the new one. and the black ruber looking thing on speedometer is a seal.

i tried popping the seal out with a flat head screw driver and everything but it seems like it's stuck.

Motofool
October 31st, 2013, 09:41 PM
i tried popping the seal out with a flat head screw driver and everything but it seems like it's stuck.

You are dealing with a seal that is similar to the one shown in this picture.

That seal has a steel body that forms the exterior rim and face, something like this: i_ _i

That steel is covered by hard neoprene and is pressed into the aluminum cast of the housing.

The center is a delicate lip with V shape that is surrounded by an annular spring.

It is hard (but not impossible applying enough force) to pray the seal out and it is difficult not to damage the lip that contains the lubricant from leaking out and the rain from leaking in.

Your local bearings dealer may have a substitute seal with similar dimensions.
They will need to know OD (Outside diameter in mm), ID (inside diameter) and with.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KAWASAKI-OIL-SEAL-p-n-92049-7011-BRAND-NEW-/00/s/NzI0WDgwMA==/$%28KGrHqNHJBcE9rIkvO3cBPkHyCrJIQ~~60_35.JPG

itslocfoo
October 31st, 2013, 10:45 PM
You are dealing with a seal that is similar to the one shown in this picture.

That seal has a steel body that forms the exterior rim and face, something like this: i_ _i

That steel is covered by hard neoprene and is pressed into the aluminum cast of the housing.

The center is a delicate lip with V shape that is surrounded by an annular spring.

It is hard (but not impossible applying enough force) to pray the seal out and it is difficult not to damage the lip that contains the lubricant from leaking out and the rain from leaking in.

Your local bearings dealer may have a substitute seal with similar dimensions.
They will need to know OD (Outside diameter in mm), ID (inside diameter) and with.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/KAWASAKI-OIL-SEAL-p-n-92049-7011-BRAND-NEW-/00/s/NzI0WDgwMA==/$%28KGrHqNHJBcE9rIkvO3cBPkHyCrJIQ~~60_35.JPG

any idea on how to remove it? Lol where can i find local bearings dealers? hahah

Motofool
November 1st, 2013, 04:07 AM
any idea on how to remove it? Lol where can i find local bearings dealers? hahah

Strong flat screwdriver, anchoring the housing as strongly as possible (preferably using the center hole).

https://www.google.com/search?q=Irvine&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=rcs#channel=rcs&q=Irvine+bearings&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial

Lychee
November 6th, 2013, 11:44 AM
First time I have heard of anyone needing to replace this part. I wonder if it would have been a good idea to source the whole assembly from a used part out, because they don't ever seem to break. I am curious- what caused the need to replace the speedometer gear?