View Full Version : What's a good set of tires that won't break the bank?

agentbad
November 1st, 2013, 03:35 PM
I know people love the speed demons but I don't have that much money to spend after paying bills and such. Just need good all around tires that will last and aren't to expensive. Oh yeah what sizes should I run and what's the best place to buy?

Motofool
November 1st, 2013, 03:54 PM
For the pre-gen, I recommend the Kenda K671 tire, rear and front alike.

Bikebandit.com has given me good and fast service.

Check these:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_tire_makes_are_available_that_fit_the_250%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Where_can_I_buy_tires_online%3F

agentbad
November 1st, 2013, 04:24 PM
For the pre-gen, I recommend the Kenda K671 tire, rear and front alike.

Bikebandit.com has given me good and fast service.

Check these:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_tire_makes_are_available_that_fit_the_250%3F

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Where_can_I_buy_tires_online%3F

Thanks a bunch order placed.

Motofool
November 1st, 2013, 04:43 PM
Thanks a bunch order placed.

You are welcome :)

EMSRacer07
November 1st, 2013, 11:23 PM
yeah kendas are pretty good and cheap. Last a long time

iplante
November 2nd, 2013, 06:18 PM
I have the Diablo scooter tires from Pirelli and love them. They were super inexpensive, too.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
November 2nd, 2013, 06:20 PM
I have the Diablo scooter tires from Pirelli and love them. They were super inexpensive, too.

How much may I ask?

iplante
November 3rd, 2013, 09:48 AM
~ $75 ish for the back, and ~ $70 ish for the front IIRC

Less than $200 installed and balanced by a shop

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
November 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM
~ $75 ish for the back, and ~ $70 ish for the front IIRC

Less than $200 installed and balanced by a shop

Wow the sites I was looking at were charging much more than that!

choneofakind
November 3rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
^ that's about what I was seeing as well for price.

I think for my next set, I'm going with Diablo Scoot rear, Sport Demon front. The speedo error bugs me and I think they're the same rubber (if not very similar) anyway. I want to see how different they feel. I will definitely keep the 130/80 on the rear for light effort when I throw it around.

Dragone
November 3rd, 2013, 12:55 PM
I went with the Diablo scooter tires as well. Cheap, stick well, and keeps the same profile.

agentbad
November 4th, 2013, 08:18 AM
The kenda's were only 133 bucks for a set with free shipping.

choneofakind
November 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM
For the purpose of completeness, I will say that Diablo Scooter tires are not very long lasting. They're sticky, they grip well, they feel really good at lean, but because of all this, I've worn 90% through my rear in 6000-ish miles with 3 track days thrown in there.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
November 6th, 2013, 11:50 AM

Got a dunlop D404 in the mail today.... Let's see how this compares to the sport demon

Edit: 130/90 of course

Dragone
November 7th, 2013, 08:51 PM
For the purpose of completeness, I will say that Diablo Scooter tires are not very long lasting. They're sticky, they grip well, they feel really good at lean, but because of all this, I've worn 90% through my rear in 6000-ish miles with 3 track days thrown in there.

hahaha, and this is a bad thing? 6k miles sounds good to me.

I run the sport demons on the EX500 for the street. Did a track day with that setup as well. They wear good , not sure on the mileage either for those, but the non scooter diablos lasted 3k street miles on the 10r and were ok for rideability and some hooliganism. So figured the EX250 deserved a shot of the diablos.

choneofakind
November 7th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Idk 6000 is okay if you're used to big bikes that gobble tires, but I went from a bt45 that lasted forever to a diablo that's down to >1mm tread in the center after 6000 miles. Definitely faster wearing.

fast1075
November 8th, 2013, 08:00 AM
My XB can eat a new S20, or Q2 in 1,800 miles. 6K sounds like killer life to me.

The 250 now has 1,600 on the Speed Demons, and I can barely see wear in the middle.

agentbad
November 8th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Loving the kenda's the bike feels a lot more stable on the road. Work commute was colddddddddd though.

Motofool
November 8th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Loving the kenda's the bike feels a lot more stable on the road...........

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

7oxSin
November 12th, 2013, 11:08 PM
i just ordered some Kenda K671's cuz my back tire is starting to show belt in one spot, question, how long is my current tire ride able with something like that? its about 2 inches long and 1/3 an inch thick

agentbad
November 13th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Post a pic of the tire. You definitely don't want to push it with motorcycle tires. That sounds pretty bad if you are seeing the belt.

choneofakind
November 13th, 2013, 10:40 AM
belt showing = stop riding. period.

fast1075
November 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM
Tires are unsafe long before belt shows.

Bones85
November 13th, 2013, 01:19 PM
i just ordered some Kenda K671's cuz my back tire is starting to show belt in one spot, question, how long is my current tire ride able with something like that? its about 2 inches long and 1/3 an inch thick

0 seconds.

choneofakind
November 13th, 2013, 02:49 PM

Also, weren't you just made an MSF instructor?

:lol:

:eek:

csmith12
November 13th, 2013, 03:06 PM
No hatin' chone, live and let live. As long as he can teach the course with confidence and example. Nothing more is expected and nobody knows everything. The "state" is not picky when it comes to who can instruct the MSF, after all, they are gunna let me at some point hahahahahh. Know the material + loud = trainer.

No offence, 7oxSin. Get a new tire, your a role model now. You know what you gotta do.

choneofakind
November 13th, 2013, 03:10 PM
No hate, just ribbing.

That tire should have been replaced ~1000 miles ago, much before that if it were on my bike. Definitely should not ride a tire that has the internal structure exposed to wear from the road. That's just asking for trouble.

7oxSin
November 13th, 2013, 11:48 PM
had to wait till i had the cash and been putting alot of miles with all the classes and training, they dont pay for you to take the classes they cost 350 plus the 250 for the brc retake, i got sponsored on all of it but at the same time things have been tight and Christmas is here with my 2 kids n wife, thats why i had to ride on that tire so low. the strip popped up on the ride home before i posted that cuz i T-CLOCS every time before i ride. also the tires got ordered 2 days before that as soon as i graduated i grabbed the tires cuz a customer finally paid me.

as soon as i saw the small strip on the tire i parked it, so try not to paint the picture of me without the right colors. :p

i asked for informative purposes, that way i could answer the question in class if it came up.

csmith12
November 15th, 2013, 06:55 AM
:werd:

To answer the question in class: Find a bike that still has the wear bars clearly seen on the tires and show them. Teach them when a tire is worn down to the bars, it's time.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
November 17th, 2013, 04:20 PM

Have taken this tire to 80mph before I remembered it was shot lol

It's actually worse now there seems to be another layer underneath that!

Sport Demon by the way...

agentbad
November 17th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Wow that's bad I hope you're not riding with it like that.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
November 17th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Wow that's bad I hope you're not riding with it like that.

I've got a new set front and rear so no worries!

knotty boy
November 17th, 2013, 06:56 PM
I know people love the speed demons but I don't have that much money to spend after paying bills and such. Just need good all around tires that will last and aren't to expensive. Oh yeah what sizes should I run and what's the best place to buy?

u get what u pay for, and like your safety gear i'd rather dish out a few extra $$$ for some good tires that i can depend on like Pilot Powers so that ive got more peace of mind n confidence in them... my $.02

choneofakind
November 20th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Have taken this tire to 80mph before I remembered it was shot lol

hot damn Justin. :eek: Some days I worry about you.

notsofast
November 20th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Not to derail too far but I am leaning towards a new set of bt45s. How do they compare to the stock rubbers?

fast1075
November 21st, 2013, 03:58 AM
I ran BT-45's on my motard for a while. They were OK. It had 17" wheels and I changed to Pilot Powers, which were better, but that is irrelevant in this thread since we are talking pre-gen.

The BT's work pretty good. But almost any tire NEW is better than an old worn out hard tire.

I have Demons on my 250, and have been slowly inching up on learning to ride it, and am finding the Demons to be exceptionally good tires. The only suspension mod I have made is to raise the fork tubes after installing bar riser spacers. That really helped the turn in, and made the 250 snappier on turn in than my Buell (which set a new standard of handling for me when I first bought it).

BTW. I settled on 34psi front, and 36psi rear for street riding. (the Pirelli recommended inflation for the Demons is 32-42 front and 32-42 rear on stock pregen wheels) Steering is light and snappy, good feedback (for a stock fork) and dead neutral tracking. I couldn't be happier. The 250 gives up nothing to my buddies on 600's on the tight, technical roads that weave through the phosphate mines in my area.