View Full Version : Fitting a new gen front wheel on a pre gen?

thumper64
November 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM
I have a "2004" Ninja 250 and have everything to throw the new gen rear wheel on, so I was going to put a new gen front wheel on to make it match, if nothing more. The new wheel I have has a much better condition tire, and with having 17s front and rear, I could just buy a set and have more tire choices than the 16s the pre gen had.

So I did some research, and someone said that they had to make a spacer and a bracket for the brake caliper to put the new gen wheel on. This is where I stopped since I want to figure things out before tearing my bike apart.
I'm wondering if thats the only way, or if I would be better off putting new gen forks on my pre gen? However, fork diameters are like 37mm on the pre gen and 38 on the new gen. The Ninja 500 has 38mm forks, so maybe I could use these along with a 500 set of triple trees? I'm just not sure what would be the better option. 500 forks are cheap, but I am having issues finding the width of the wheels on both 250s and the 500.

I need to replace my left fork regardless, since the fork tube is smashed in where the fork seal is and it seems to leak a tiny bit of oil. I may as well replace both forks if that makes things easier.

thumper64
November 3rd, 2013, 04:26 PM
alternatively, if swapping 600 or 636 forks, or such over would let me run the new gen wheel, I would do that also. I can budget some money to make this thing handle better, so as long as it's not rediculous...

tc.young
November 4th, 2013, 03:53 PM
pretty sure the new gen front end (forks and trees) is direct swap to the pregen. another member will have to confirm though.

thumper64
November 4th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I believe I have seen the new gen front swapped over, and I'm looking at forks and triple trees, but it looks like that will cost a few hundred, all said and done.

I'm trying to find a slightly cheaper way, or a way to upgrade the front end to better forks perhaps, if I have to spend a few hundred already. That will determine what I do with it, either letting my wife have it for her first bike or I'll dedicate it for racing.

TonyKZ1
November 5th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Sounds interesting, and keep us updated with your progress. But you aren't doing this just for bigger selection of tires (17" vs 16") right?
Tony

choneofakind
November 5th, 2013, 08:43 AM
The triples from the newgen are a direct swap.

Lychee
November 5th, 2013, 12:10 PM
I don't think the newgen forks are much better than the pregen forks. Both need to be resprung and gold valved in order to tailor them to the rider. 17" wheels are nice though.

thumper64
November 5th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I figured the forks were pretty comparable. I already have 500 springs in my old gen forks I'll swap over if possible, and probably get valve emulators. I was apprehensive getting 636 forks because theyre harder to service, being inverted, and I'm not sure if handling may be thrown off, coming off a heavier bike?

I found some new gen forks for a good deal, so I got them.

I already have a new gen rear wheel and swingarm, so i want the front to match. Other than aesthetics, my current left fork leaks, my front tire is bald and my new tire is good, the new gen front rotor is larger... I have to take the front end apart anyway because i was going to put new stem bearings in.

Anyway, what I have left is needing a front caliper, speedo sensor, and bars. The bike will probably become my wifes, so I may get stock bars instead of clipons.

Lychee
November 5th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Won't the 17" wheels raise the bike? That is the opposite of what you need to happen for your wife, right?

My girlfriend's ninja has lowering links, an adjustable kickstand, and handlebar risers bought as a kit from soupy's performance.

choneofakind
November 5th, 2013, 05:37 PM
No. OD of the 16" OE-size tires on both the pregen and newgen are nearly identical.

Lychee
November 6th, 2013, 11:13 AM
But, who uses the OE tires?

thumper64
November 6th, 2013, 02:28 PM
But, who uses the OE tires?

Ill use them for a while when its warm and dry, for a few weeks probably.

choneofakind
November 6th, 2013, 02:31 PM
...You use the same size (or almost the same size) tire in a different model. I wasn't saying to literally use the OE tire. Just the OE tire sizes.

thumper64
November 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM
...I was planning to use the stock IRC tires that were still on the used rims i bought until I have a few hundred to spend on tires... Winter is slow at work...