View Full Version : Brand New Battery? what to do?

itslocfoo
November 8th, 2013, 08:55 PM
i just got a brand new battery, i took it to the nearest auto shop to charge it cause i don't have a charger. However, after dumping everything in the battery, I told them not to close the top because most people told me not to until its fully or done charging. They insist on closing it and making it more safe for the worker. So I closed it and handle it over so they could charge it. before i left he said i have been charging numerous battery and i never leave it open. I didn't know what to say except took his word for it.

What's going to happen to my battery? any tips?
i know that most people dont close the battery during first charge.

csmith12
November 9th, 2013, 07:53 PM
Ummm.... If I was a bettin' man, I would have to go with, nothing is going to happen. Your battery should be just fine.

Did you read the initial charge instructions that came with your battery? A lot now say to button it all up at wait 30 mins. before the first charge.

csmith12
November 9th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Oh, get a battery tender/maintainer too!

Nate513151
January 7th, 2014, 07:12 PM
is a battery tender really needed if you ride the bike everyday and your battery is new?

choneofakind
January 7th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Yes. Always a good idea to have a battery charger. Also a good idea to charge a new battery.

Nate513151
January 7th, 2014, 07:22 PM
Yes. Always a good idea to have a battery charger. Also a good idea to charge a new battery.

I bought my battery over a month ago from local kawi dealership and they did the charging on it and I had to go back and pick it up.. Reason I asked is because I asked them about a tender and they made it seem like if it was getting rode everyday I was wasting my money.. Sure don't want to have to buy another battery anytime soon lol

choneofakind
January 7th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Yeah you'll likely be just fine. But what happens the day you leave the key in and the headlight on? Or what happens if your R/R kicks the bucket and leaves you with an uncharged battery? What if it pours and water gets in your gas tank and you kill your battery cranking the engine because there's water in the float bowls?

For $20, I see no reason not to own a basic battery tender. It's good peace of mind.

tc.young
January 7th, 2014, 08:40 PM
it should be closed. if it is a standard battery, the acid will just go out of the overflow tube. if it is sealed, then it doesn't matter. either way the acid should be closed off when charging as it bubbles, etc.

Midnight_tinkerer
January 8th, 2014, 03:54 AM
In the instructions for most MF or Maintenance Free batteries, it usually says to insert acid bottle and then leave for 30 - 45 minutes, for the acid to fill & soak in to the plates. Then you seal it and charge it. If you put them on charge too soon after filling with acid, they will sometimes not accept any charge. MF batteries usually have a pressure relief valve that will vent any excessive gas pressure build up. MF batteries have a measured amount of acid in the bottles, which should last for the life of the battery. You really don't want to leave the cap off while charging an MF battery, as this would allow the water/acid to evaporate, and your not supposed to top them up with water. Technically you can prise the cap off again and top them up with water, which I have done successfully before, but this is not what the manufacturer intended.

accumack
January 8th, 2014, 07:18 AM
The reason for sealing the battery is while charging gases are released hydrogen and oxygen if for some reason there is a spark the battery will explode.

Motofool
January 8th, 2014, 08:05 AM
I bought my battery over a month ago from local kawi dealership and they did the charging on it and I had to go back and pick it up.. Reason I asked is because I asked them about a tender and they made it seem like if it was getting rode everyday I was wasting my money.. Sure don't want to have to buy another battery anytime soon lol

If you ride several miles everyday or several days each week, the battery will receive enough charge from the bike's generator.
The battery that came with my Ninjette has never seen a tender or charger and it is still strong.

The battery is small and it only accumulates certain amount of juice.
If your bike is hard to start and you have to use the starter (major juice's consumer, followed by the headlights) several times, then, your battery is over-stressing and you need either a long ride (15~20 miles) just after that or a morning on the charger in order to refill the little battery.

Running town's errands, with multiple start-ups and short distances produces the same effect, and a tender or charger is advisable in order to avoid inopportune surprises.

Cold temperatures slowdown the chemistry inside the battery, reducing its performance.
High vibrations and mechanical shocks make any battery unhappy.

A full battery is a happy battery.
Fast-deep depletion can twist the internal components and shorten its life or even render it useless.
Avoid those as much as possible and learn how to push-start your bike.

Cable connections need to be inspected regularly (monthly) and cleaned and tightened if needed; dirty and loose connections interfere with Amps' input (charging) as much as output (discharging).

More info here:
http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html

Nate513151
January 8th, 2014, 09:51 AM
If you ride several miles everyday or several days each week, the battery will receive enough charge from the bike's generator.
The battery that came with my Ninjette has never seen a tender or charger and it is still strong.

The battery is small and it only accumulates certain amount of juice.
If your bike is hard to start and you have to use the starter (major juice's consumer, followed by the headlights) several times, then, your battery is over-stressing and you need either a long ride (15~20 miles) just after that or a morning on the charger in order to refill the little battery.

Running town's errands, with multiple start-ups and short distances produces the same effect, and a tender or charger is advisable in order to avoid inopportune surprises.

Cold temperatures slowdown the chemistry inside the battery, reducing its performance.
High vibrations and mechanical shocks make any battery unhappy.

A full battery is a happy battery.
Fast-deep depletion can twist the internal components and shorten its life or even render it useless.
Avoid those as much as possible and learn how to push-start your bike.

Cable connections need to be inspected regularly (monthly) and cleaned and tightened if needed; dirty and loose connections interfere with Amps' input (charging) as much as output (discharging).

More info here:
http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/battery-basics.html
:thumbup: Thanks for all the info

Nate513151
January 8th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Yeah you'll likely be just fine. But what happens the day you leave the key in and the headlight on? Or what happens if your R/R kicks the bucket and leaves you with an uncharged battery? What if it pours and water gets in your gas tank and you kill your battery cranking the engine because there's water in the float bowls?

For $20, I see no reason not to own a basic battery tender. It's good peace of mind.
:thumbup:Thank you

alex.s
January 8th, 2014, 10:03 AM
i have never before heard to leave a battery open while charging. im wondering where this info came from

Motofool
January 8th, 2014, 10:14 AM
:thumbup: Thanks for all the info

You are welcome :)

A charger of low Amps (1~2 A) is a good thing to have for any emergency or for slowly recharging the battery during long periods of inactivity.

Higher charging Amps after the battery is too low, supplied either by a bigger charger or by the bike's generator, can damage the electrolyte and the internal plates due to overheating.

http://jgdarden.com/batteryfaq/Eurobat.jpg

Ish
January 10th, 2014, 12:41 PM
i just got a brand new battery, i took it to the nearest auto shop to charge it cause i don't have a charger. However, after dumping everything in the battery, I told them not to close the top because most people told me not to until its fully or done charging. They insist on closing it and making it more safe for the worker. So I closed it and handle it over so they could charge it. before i left he said i have been charging numerous battery and i never leave it open. I didn't know what to say except took his word for it.

What's going to happen to my battery? any tips?
i know that most people dont close the battery during first charge.

Buy a batter tender/charger and let me borrow it whenever i need it. :thumbup:

CZroe
May 27th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Is a battery tender appropriate for the initial charge ("activation") of a new BS (bottle-supplied) battery? If so, do I just leave it on until charged or follow the charge time guidelines? I imagine those charge times at those amperages were intended for constant current chargers and not the smart tenders that vary their output, monitor the battery, switch to float, etc.

Plan to use a Schumacher XM1-5 if you guys think it's appropriate.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EI6A8K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

DaBlue1
May 27th, 2014, 12:15 PM
.....Plan to use a Schumacher XM1-5 if you guys think it's appropriate.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EI6A8K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Kawasaki recommends using a 1.5 Amp Automatic Charger. The Schumacher Model XM1-5 is a charger and maintainer.

Got one myself. Works great!

CZroe
May 27th, 2014, 03:16 PM
They recommend that for activating a battery (sold dry) and not just charging?

DaBlue1
May 28th, 2014, 11:40 AM
They recommend that for activating a battery (sold dry) and not just charging?

Yes, they recommend using a 1.5 Amp Automatic Charger for initial charging.