View Full Version : May have lost my only key.

agentbad
November 11th, 2013, 11:31 AM
So I have somehow misplaced my ninja key after moving it late one night to avoid street cleaning. I am usually pretty methodical about putting the key on my dresser but I guess I forgot this time. I didn't have time for a thorough search since I was trying to get to work so I am hoping it will turn up when I get home. What are my options for getting a new key made? Where is the key code printed for the pregen and how do I get to it?

tfkrocks
November 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Key code is behind the helmet lock. You'll need to remove it to get to it. A competent locksmith can easily cut you a new key just based off your ignition if it comes to that though. I had to do that for my pregen because the key code on my helmet lock made a key that didn't work at all. Be sure to get a couple spares while you're at it.

agentbad
November 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah I'm really hoping I just missed it because I was in a hurry. Getting the helmet lock open without the key is going to be fun.

tfkrocks
November 11th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Yeah I'm really hoping I just missed it because I was in a hurry. Getting the helmet lock open without the key is going to be fun.

You need to unbolt the lock to get to the key code. I actually just broke mine off to get to it because the bolt was so corroded and I never used the lock anyway. Hopefully you have an easier time taking off the lock.

agentbad
November 11th, 2013, 11:57 AM
FOUND IT! Put it in the top drawer of my dresser for some reason. Can I just go to lowes to make copies or locksmith? :cheers:

tfkrocks
November 11th, 2013, 02:55 PM
FOUND IT! Put it in the top drawer of my dresser for some reason. Can I just go to lowes to make copies or locksmith? :cheers:

I think a locksmith would be more likely to have the appropriate key blank since hardware stores are usually more limited in their selection.

Insan3guy
November 11th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I got some blanks off amazon for a couple bucks back when I had my ninja. Your local hardware store might not have the right blanks, but they can cut them for you

agentbad
November 11th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Doesn't look like any of them are on amazon anymore but the Silca KW12BP key blanks look to be a good match.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/EX250F_key_blanks

VinceNJules
July 18th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Hate to drag this thread from the grave, but I just had two keys made from the key code, and neither key worked. They don't even match up with the (crappy) key I was given with the bike. Anything I can do about this?

agentbad
July 18th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Hate to drag this thread from the grave, but I just had two keys made from the key code, and neither key worked. They don't even match up with the (crappy) key I was given with the bike. Anything I can do about this?

An automotive locksmith can duplicate a key just from your ignition.

Alex
July 18th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Interesting. Wonder if your ignition cylinder was swapped out at some point. I can see the tolerances being off so the keys might not work, but if they don't even look alike with the key you were using, it seems like a larger issue.

agentbad
July 18th, 2014, 10:39 AM
Interesting. Wonder if your ignition cylinder was swapped out at some point. I can see the tolerances being off so the keys might not work, but if they don't even look alike with the key you were using, it seems like a larger issue.

:whathesaid:

ninjakuma
July 18th, 2014, 05:09 PM
I watched the locksmith do mine when I lost my keys. They put a blank in, turn it really hard so there are tiny faint marks on the blank, pull it out and file it down a bit. Repeat until it works. At least that's how mine did it

VinceNJules
July 18th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Well, the key was from the second owner and was supposedly the original key. It fit the ignition, gas tank, seat, and helmet lock. Considering the helmet lock had the key code written, and the new keys opened nothing, not even the helmet lock, I would have to think that the locks were original and the new key lacking.

One curious thing was that the paper with the dimensions of the lock had a header that said, "Kawasaki - Ninja ZX 2003+". This makes me wonder about whether it's the right key, considering that the 250 is an EX, not ZX. Also, according to one site, there may be multiple bittings in the Z5000-Z6000 series. Any suggestions?

Bob2010
July 18th, 2014, 07:58 PM
slight thread jack, I have 1 key left and i am trying to get a spare made. Where are you guys getting the blanks ?
I see these on amazon, you get 3, different colors and under $10

Key blanks (http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-KAWASAKI-ZXR250-ZXR400/dp/B00GIJT9H2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1405738670&sr=8-11&keywords=ninja+250r)

agentbad
July 18th, 2014, 08:08 PM
slight thread jack, I have 1 key left and i am trying to get a spare made. Where are you guys getting the blanks ?
I see these on amazon, you get 3, different colors and under $10

Key blanks (http://www.amazon.com/MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-KAWASAKI-ZXR250-ZXR400/dp/B00GIJT9H2/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1405738670&sr=8-11&keywords=ninja+250r)

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/EX250F_key_blanks