View Full Version : Intake boot

ktp1598
December 10th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Anyone ever trace a vacuum leak to a backwards installed intake boot? I just bought this bike, a 2007 (with a running issue) and noticed that plug #2 was white. It's only got 281 miles on it and was supposedly serviced back in May. The carbs are clean inside (cleaned them again anyway) and I seen no other problems other than the boot on backwards. Although this machine is in near new condition I still changed the oil, oil and air filters, plugs and brake fluid. Also drained the gas tank and put in fresh gas. Only reason I'm asking is it may be a week or 2 before I can fire it up and see how it runs. Could the boot have caused a lean condition? The boot ends look similar but are marked carb on one end and head on the other. Any thoughts?

jkv45
December 10th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Anyone ever trace a vacuum leak to a backwards installed intake boot? I just bought this bike, a 2007 (with a running issue) and noticed that plug #2 was white. It's only got 281 miles on it and was supposedly serviced back in May. The carbs are clean inside (cleaned them again anyway) and I seen no other problems other than the boot on backwards. Although this machine is in near new condition I still changed the oil, oil and air filters, plugs and brake fluid. Also drained the gas tank and put in fresh gas. Only reason I'm asking is it may be a week or 2 before I can fire it up and see how it runs. Could the boot have caused a lean condition? The boot ends look similar but are marked carb on one end and head on the other. Any thoughts?

Sounds familiar. I would certainly expect some type of issue with a boot installed backwards.

Looks like you have got the maintenance figured out - good job. Always a real good idea to go through a "new" used bike and do the things you listed when you get it.

Pretty much assume nothing has ever been done. More often than not it's true.

ktp1598
December 10th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the reply. It was so cold here that I had it trailered home. Still need to flush the antifreeze and grease up a few things but overall it's about ready. The tires are soft and pliable with no rot though I'll probably change them and the brake lines next year due to age. I don't see how someone can purchase a new bike and never ride it. I can't wait to!