View Full Version : Ganna store it.

Løckøut
December 10th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Harsh winter ahead I hear. Got a 6x8 storage unit and put my ninjette in it. Plan on running it every 5-7 days while the fluids are still in it, but I plan to empty it out and dry store it, while simultaneously finding replacement parts, performing maintenance, etc. until Spring.

My baby will be born within the next few weeks so in case I just have my hands full with work and the little one, dry storing at least. Any good procedure links/threads ? Or could someone just run me through it real quick on how to properly store the Ninjette over a 3-month period?

Alex
December 10th, 2013, 08:51 PM
There are a couple decent threads out there. This one seems to do the trick (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29183).

JohnnyBravo
December 10th, 2013, 09:58 PM
Harsh winter ahead I hear. Got a 6x8 storage unit and put my ninjette in it. Plan on running it every 5-7 days while the fluids are still in it, but I plan to empty it out and dry store it, while simultaneously finding replacement parts, performing maintenance, etc. until Spring.

My baby will be born within the next few weeks so in case I just have my hands full with work and the little one, dry storing at least. Any good procedure links/threads ? Or could someone just run me through it real quick on how to properly store the Ninjette over a 3-month period?

Congrats on the kid! :thumbup:

GeorgeRYoung
December 11th, 2013, 05:28 AM
I drain the carbs and take the battery out and stick it in the basement. Recharge about once a month 'til March.

adouglas
December 11th, 2013, 05:53 AM
If you and your mate are about to have a kid, FORGET about running the bike, finding parts, maintenance... pretty much anything having to do with the motorcycle. Even if you intend to, it will not happen. Take that to the bank.

There's a high likelihood that the bike will wind up staying in the storage unit well into next summer if not longer. You're about to enter a situation where you might not ride that bike for a year or more. Best to treat it as long-term storage. That way if you do fire it up again in spring, you're fine. You'll also be fine if you let it sit for two years.

And as hard as it might be to accept, there's a good chance you're going to wind up selling the bike, either for time, money or family harmony reasons. Your attention to good storage will pay off there too.

So:

- Good move to drain all the fuel. My normal routine is to store it with a full tank of stabilized fuel, but then I know I'm going to be riding within six months.
- Change oil and filter just before you park it. A stored bike should have fresh oil in the crankcase.
- Get the bike up off the ground (you do have stands, right?). Tires left for a long time develop flat spots.
- Do stuff you'll forget about next spring, like lubing the chain.
- Either plug it into a battery tender, or if you don't have power, take the battery out and do that at home. Battery tenders rock because you don't have to remember to go charge the battery.
- Consider spraying some fogging oil into the cylinders, or putting a little bit of engine oil in through the spark plug hole and turning the engine over to distribute it. Again, this is for long-term storage.
- Cover/plug holes that can allow critters to get in if there is any possibility they may do so. That includes exhaust and air intake. LEAVE YOURSELF A NOTE REMINDING YOU TO TAKE THE COVERS/PLUGS OFF.
- Take the time now to clean the bike so it'll be all purty when you pull it out of storage.

jkv45
December 11th, 2013, 01:55 PM

Don't run it for short periods (or even long periods) during storage.

Add stabilizer, fill the tank (87 w/o ethanol is the best), warm it up to change the oil (Rotella T6 is a good choice IMO) and filter, run it for 1 minute only, drain the floatbowls, and do any maintenance that needs to be done. Don't drain the coolant. Don't start it again until you are ready to ride.

Done like that, a cycle engine can safely be stored for years...and years...and...

Løckøut
December 24th, 2013, 12:41 PM
Sory for the delay in response; been working hard, what with everyone needing their heat on before cristmas in Midwest City. Thanks for all the suggestions, you guys have been a great help as usual.