View Full Version : Ok where's the drain tubes for the spark plug recesses?

RBN
January 19th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Greetings, long time no post and all that, mainly 'cos everything's been going well of late.

Quick story, I bought a cheap spare engine on ebay which was advertised as coming with "some spares", and to my astonishment/delight the "some spares" turned out to be the entire bike! It's a ZZR250 which had been dumped under a pile of crap in a pub garden for the last three Years, it's in a very sorry state but none the less complete!

So I decided to have a bash at getting it running, a weekend of tinkering, new fuel, a good strip and clean of the carbs, replacement fluids all round, new air filter sponge and a fair bit of fault finding with the moldy (very) wiring connectors and it's burst into life!! it even runs nice!

Anyway I'm waffling now, so before I take it out in the inevitable rain I'd like to make sure the drainage tubes for the spark plug recesses are free of muck. But where do they come out on this engine? I've found a hole on the left hand cylinder about halfway up on the side, which may or may not be one, but where's the other one? Can't find it mentioned in any manual I've got.

regards RBN

Motofool
January 19th, 2014, 10:02 AM
.........I've found a hole on the left hand cylinder about halfway up on the side, which may or may not be one, but where's the other one?............

http://forums.ninja250.org/uploads/805374.jpg

RBN
January 19th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Yep that's the one I found :D

Is that the only one then?

Tar for the quick reply BTW.

Motofool
January 19th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Yep that's the one I found :D

Is that the only one then?

Tar for the quick reply BTW.

I don't have my bike with me now, but I believe that there is another for the right cylinder (mirror of the one shown in the picture).

Good deal in the spare-project bike !!!

RBN
January 19th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I don't have my bike with me now, but I believe that there is another for the right cylinder (mirror of the one shown in the picture).

Good deal in the spare-project bike !!!

That's what I had expected to find but there's nothing on the right hand one, hence my confusion :/

And yeah I'm real happy with engine and "some spares" :D

adouglas
January 19th, 2014, 11:21 AM
There's a drain hole?

Gee and all that time I was using a soda straw.... <*blecchh*> :p:D

Motofool
January 19th, 2014, 11:25 AM
That's what I had expected to find but there's nothing on the right hand one, hence my confusion :/

And yeah I'm real happy with engine and "some spares" :D

I may be due to the side kickstand keeping the bike inclined toward the left when parked in rain?

If that is true, the right pocket may have a different route; maybe it goes out next to the exhaust port?

Sorry, I am of not help as I cannot verify that right now.

Racer x
January 19th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I learned something new today. :dancecool:

dcj13
January 19th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Or perhaps there's a passage between the spark plug recesses?

Racer x
January 19th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Yes it goes from the side straight through the left spark plug hole and into the right one.

dcj13
January 19th, 2014, 04:07 PM
Yes it goes from the side straight through the left spark plug hole and into the right one.

That makes sense: one drilling operation; no casting core required for a blind hole between spark plug recesses.

FWIW, on the KLR250, Kwak put the spark plug recess drain hole on the right side of the block.

Racer x
January 19th, 2014, 07:30 PM
On the 2008 + engine they each have a little hole in front of the block below the exhaust pipes.

7oxSin
January 19th, 2014, 08:46 PM
motoyoda is always teaching us new things, i swear he bleeds kawasaki green!

RBN
January 20th, 2014, 10:19 AM

Nice one, tar muchly. That's cleared that up.