View Full Version : Great way to test your thermostat without taking it off the bike.

burnrich
January 19th, 2014, 10:08 PM
Just thought I'd share my test findings. Feel free to hang crap on my conclusions if you want :)

Just finished testing the thermostat on my GPX 250 as I had suspicions it wasn't opening.

I bought an Automotive DMM with inductive pick-up for this job which made it really easy as it measures temperature as well.

Once the bike had warmed up I measured the temp of the thermostat housing which was reading about 76 degrees Celsius or 168.8 Fahrenheit when the thermofan kicked in.

The workshop manual acceptable temperature range for thermostat to open is 177 -182 Fahrenheit so I figure the thermostat is still working well.

I can thank the multi meter with temperature probes for helping with this job as I didn't have to pull the thermostat out of the radiator to check the temperature so purchasing one is a must if your doing any maintenance on your bike as it reduces your workload if your lazy like me.

Of course if the thermostat housing is giving out readings well above 182 Fahrenheit then you've started to cook the engine....

baxtc1
January 20th, 2014, 01:18 PM
There is a temp gauge on the dash, keep an eye on it as the engine warms up, you will see if your thermostat is working.

burnrich
January 21st, 2014, 01:55 PM
There is a temp gauge on the dash, keep an eye on it as the engine warms up, you will see if your thermostat is working.

The purpose of the test is to gauge if the thermostat is operating within the correct temperature range according to the workshop manual. I thought the coolant was getting way to hot before it was opening and the bike was cooking a bit too long. Plus I don't trust the gauges to be accurate.

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
January 21st, 2014, 05:55 PM

It'll never read if coolant doesn't touch it also...