View Full Version : Bike running lean out of the blue.

agentbad
January 20th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Took the bike out yesterday for a bit and noticed it struggling a lot on the highway. I could feel it hesitate at higher rpms it was like the top end wasn't there. I didn't ride for a week or so because of work and bad weather. I am going to try some seafoam when I get home to see if that helps. This was the first time trying out my new cover instead of parking it in my shed. I can't imagine my carbs getting gummed up that quickly but I suppose it's possible. Hopefully it's just water build up in the tank and some fresh gas will do that trick.

csmith12
January 20th, 2014, 08:29 AM
I think your on the right track, hopefully it's just condensation.

agentbad
January 20th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I have stabil on hand should I just go with that or get some more seafoam?

csmith12
January 20th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Yea, just the stabil first.

alex.s
January 20th, 2014, 02:35 PM
how old is the gas in it

jkv45
January 20th, 2014, 03:06 PM
If you think the gas could be a problem you'll need to drain the gas completely (floatbowls too) and fill with fresh gas. Any moisture in the tank will be sitting at the very bottom, so the tank needs to be completely empty in order to get it out. 87 w/o ethanol is always the best choice for gas.

When temps are fluctuating it's always best to keep the tank as full as possible to reduce the chances of condensation forming.

If you won't ride much in the next 2 or 3 months I'd add a stabilizer.

If you will be riding a fair amount I'd add Techron Concentrate (1 oz per gal) to the fresh gas as a cleaner. Seafoam has the advantage of being a cleaner and stabilizer, so you can kill 2 birds with 1 stone - but I personally like Techron better as a cleaner.

agentbad
January 20th, 2014, 03:10 PM
It was the gas. Put some fresh gas in with stabil then went for a ride on the highway. The gas may have been a week and a half max since the last ride so not that old I would think. All smiles now. :D

7 w/o ethanol is always the best choice for gas.

When temps are fluctuating it's always best to keep the tank as full as possible to reduce the chances of condensation forming.

If you won't ride much in the next 2 or 3 months I'd add a stabilizer.

There is nowhere close by that sells ethanol free gas unfortunately. I do ride in the winter it's just not daily like the rest of the year.