View Full Version : rear suspension

Nate513151
January 28th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Haven't rode bike in almost 2 weeks except for going to get new tires on her and went for a ride this morning and when I came back I noticed that the rear shock is sticking and takes awhile for it to raise back up... Any suggestions?

Sirref
January 28th, 2014, 09:09 AM
replacement/upgrade gsxr rear shock conversion for under $100

Could it just be frozen and need to warm up a bit? my bike has been that way with a few parts, it hates the cold almost as much as I do.

Snake
January 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM
A shock from a new-gen is also a very good option.

alex.s
January 28th, 2014, 09:52 AM
if you just ride casual street a used newgen shock is probably the best option. you can probably find one for around $20. much easier than trying to tear apart a non-servicable-type shock that isnt that great to begin with

although you might want to make sure your swing arm can freely move with the shock detached. maybe your frame is bent and its not the shocks fault

Nate513151
January 28th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks everyone, I squirted a little chain oil on the shaft of shock and took it for a ride it seems to have worked itself free but after reading up on the newgen shock upgrade I just ordered one off ebay fairly cheap and will see how that works out..

Always looking for cheap upgrades to help performance and make for a more comfortable ride:thumbup:

choneofakind
January 28th, 2014, 10:52 AM
What's the mileage on the bike? When's the last time the unitrack linkage/swimgarm was taken apart and bearings were serviced?

Nate513151
January 29th, 2014, 11:55 AM
What's the mileage on the bike? When's the last time the unitrack linkage/swimgarm was taken apart and bearings were serviced?

Bike has 4800 Miles and not really sure as to when if ever any of that was serviced as I bought it with 4500 miles on it

b.miller123
January 31st, 2014, 09:54 AM
The newgen shock is a good upgrade, especially for the price that you can find them. The best part is not only are you getting a better/newer shock with a stiffer rate, you also get the ability to adjust the preload.

I'd also check the suspension linkages and the swingarm for proper grease. At the very least, try and see if they are sticking when the shock is out. That may very well be your problem. With that low of miles, there is a good chance your bike sat for a long time. It could have been sitting outside.

alex.s
January 31st, 2014, 10:33 AM

:bow:

7oxSin
January 31st, 2014, 12:06 PM
yeah i suggest the newgen shock as well, but its not as cheap as some ppl here think, you can expect to pay about 40-45$ for it shipped. it also raises the bike up by about an inch when you have the preload maxed.

by far its the easiest upgrade since its only two bolts.

b.miller123
January 31st, 2014, 01:04 PM
yeah i suggest the newgen shock as well, but its not as cheap as some ppl here think, you can expect to pay about 40-45$ for it shipped. it also raises the bike up by about an inch when you have the preload maxed.

by far its the easiest upgrade since its only two bolts.

It just depends on the ebay seller. $40-$50 is probably more accurate. The one I bought was very clean and came off a low mileage bike and I was happy with the $35(?) I paid for it vs some of the cheaper ones on ebay that were covered in crap.

fast1075
January 31st, 2014, 02:36 PM
Just curious, how cold was it when you took the bike out?

Nate513151
February 1st, 2014, 07:19 AM
Just curious, how cold was it when you took the bike out?
Not very cold maybe 65 but then again for us Floridians thats freezing lol

Nate513151
February 1st, 2014, 08:22 AM
The newgen shock is a good upgrade, especially for the price that you can find them. The best part is not only are you getting a better/newer shock with a stiffer rate, you also get the ability to adjust the preload.

I'd also check the suspension linkages and the swingarm for proper grease. At the very least, try and see if they are sticking when the shock is out. That may very well be your problem. With that low of miles, there is a good chance your bike sat for a long time. It could have been sitting outside.
I do have the bike outside but under a waterproof cover but we have had a lot of rain the past couple weeks..

Nate513151
February 1st, 2014, 08:24 AM

And how do I go about greasing up these said parts? lol.. Haven't done any motorcycle mechanic work..

choneofakind
February 1st, 2014, 08:51 AM
faq.ninja250.org

Look for articles on how to service the unitrak linkage and swingarm (link in the unitrak service page) bearings.

Nate513151
February 4th, 2014, 08:59 AM
is the newgen linkage the same as the pregen? the 2012 shock I ordered came with the linkage and dog bones was wondering if they would fit so that way they were newer?

alex.s
February 4th, 2014, 09:38 AM
they are a different color... :P

Nate513151
February 4th, 2014, 09:41 AM
So don't think they could be swapped out? it has the dog bones also but I was going to stay with the original dog bones that are on the bike unless they are shorter and raise the bike some, I think the previous owner may have put longer ones on so his wife could ride the bike comfortablly but not sure cause I do not know the measurments of the oem bones

Nate513151
February 4th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Is it just me or didn't I just see more to this about being cut different and made from cast or was that also referring to the dogbones being different

choneofakind
February 5th, 2014, 09:30 AM
is the newgen linkage the same as the pregen? the 2012 shock I ordered came with the linkage and dog bones was wondering if they would fit so that way they were newer?

No. Different.

newgen are different. Longer. They're also basically a long strip of metal with holes, the pregen ones are not. Just go look at your bike and compare with the newgen bones when you get them, you'll see what I mean.

Nate513151
February 5th, 2014, 09:35 AM
No. Different.

newgen are different. Longer. They're also basically a long strip of metal with holes, the pregen ones are not. Just go look at your bike and compare with the newgen bones when you get them, you'll see what I mean.

Yeah I see the bones are different but will the linkage that came with this shock fit on my 07. Reason I ask is cause this one is newer and well maintained. Was gonna swap them out if it will fit. I'm dealing with bad cervical spinal stenosis right now and would rather swap the two then to spend time servicing the old unitrak linkage

choneofakind
February 5th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I mean if it does physically fit, that's fine and dandy. But seeing as the dogbones are a different length, I'm going to assume that unitrak linkage is a different geometry as well. With linkages, the geometry of the linkage that connects to the shock important because it controls the ratio of swingarm motion/speed to the shock motion/speed.

Hold the unitrak linkages together and see if the geometry is identical.

Also, how do you know that the newer unitrak doesn't need serviced also? No matter the age, I'd service it before using it. You're going to be servicing either way. might as well just use the stock one because it works with the stock dogbones. If you use the newer unitrak, you'll need to change to newer bones also (which i'm unsure if they work with the older swingarm or not)

maybe working on motorcycles while sick isn't the best idea if you're going to be cutting corners? Take a break from the bike, your health is more important, and clearly that's important to you based on your sig...

Nate513151
February 5th, 2014, 11:18 AM
I mean if it does physically fit, that's fine and dandy. But seeing as the dogbones are a different length, I'm going to assume that unitrak linkage is a different geometry as well. With linkages, the geometry of the linkage that connects to the shock important because it controls the ratio of swingarm motion/speed to the shock motion/speed.

Hold the unitrak linkages together and see if the geometry is identical.

Also, how do you know that the newer unitrak doesn't need serviced also? No matter the age, I'd service it before using it. You're going to be servicing either way. might as well just use the stock one because it works with the stock dogbones. If you use the newer unitrak, you'll need to change to newer bones also (which i'm unsure if they work with the older swingarm or not)

maybe working on motorcycles while sick isn't the best idea if you're going to be cutting corners? Take a break from the bike, your health is more important, and clearly that's important to you based on your sig...

:thumbup:Thanks Chone, I'm going to wait till this weekend to change the shock so I will look at that time and see if they match up.. I have to use the bike to go to and from Dr. appointments .. would leave it till im better and ride the bike how it is but worried I will do damage to the chain since the bike stays down all the way while riding and just sitting here.. Plus if they are gonna do surgery like they are talking then I wont be able to do any wrenching afterwards for some time, more like trying to save time and less strain on my body then cutting corners lol but i do understand what you were saying

nickcasa
February 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I think I may need to replace my rear shock as well on my 96 ninja 250....i weight 185, daughter weights 65, she was on the back (obviously) and we went over a speed dump and my license plate whacked the rear tire and bent it nicely for me....was kinda pissed....does this mean its time for a new one? if so, can somebody post a link of a new one? not about to go used.....i guess the spring itself is still good right? metal doesnt really wear out i imagine....ty alll

nickcasa
February 5th, 2014, 07:40 PM
can someone post a link to these newgen shocks on ebay? i can't find anything remotely close to what you all are talking about....thanks...i feel like a tard not knowing what is going on with this thread....

choneofakind
February 5th, 2014, 07:42 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2009-2010-11-12-Kawasaki-Ninja-EX-250-EX250-Rear-Shock-Absorber-Damper-/190878585675?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7140134b&vxp=mtr

Nate513151
February 5th, 2014, 07:42 PM
can someone post a link to these newgen shocks on ebay? i can't find anything remotely close to what you all are talking about....thanks...i feel like a tard not knowing what is going on with this thread....

Go to eBay and type in 2012 ninja 250 rear shock

agentbad
February 5th, 2014, 08:04 PM
My 300r rear shock finally showed up in the mail today. Paid $36 with shipping included. Looks pretty close to the newgen.

http://i.imgur.com/aFrXlGnm.jpg

nickcasa
February 5th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Go to eBay and type in 2012 ninja 250 rear shock

found it, thanks. i think the "newgen" term you were all referring too was the 2nd gen ninja's.....i thought it was a name brand

b.miller123
February 6th, 2014, 09:53 AM
I think I may need to replace my rear shock as well on my 96 ninja 250....i weight 185, daughter weights 65, she was on the back (obviously) and we went over a speed dump and my license plate whacked the rear tire and bent it nicely for me....was kinda pissed....does this mean its time for a new one? if so, can somebody post a link of a new one? not about to go used.....i guess the spring itself is still good right? metal doesnt really wear out i imagine....ty alll

Unless you want to buy a new 2008+ shock (about $500 from the dealer), a used one off ebay will be your best bet.

Metal absolutely wears out, especially springs. A spring with 20 years and 20k miles on it will be nothing like a new one from the factory, or even one with 3 years and 3k miles.

nickcasa
February 6th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Unless you want to buy a new 2008+ shock (about $500 from the dealer), a used one off ebay will be your best bet.

Metal absolutely wears out, especially springs. A spring with 20 years and 20k miles on it will be nothing like a new one from the factory, or even one with 3 years and 3k miles.

I'll pickup a used one off ebay then. thanks.