View Full Version : What am i doing wrong?

jbraz7
January 28th, 2014, 05:13 PM
I have a 1991 Ninja 250 Project and the ignition key switch is broken. I jumpered the wires at the 5 Pin connector and it worked once. I connected the blue and red wires and connected the White, Yellow, and Brown wires together, and it worked and I started the bike once. Now when I do it I get no dash lights or anything. I tried connecting the 5 pin connector with the broken ignition switch and juggled it with a screw driver and I got the lights to come on. This connection isn't stable so thats why I went to the jumper but my question is why wont the jumper work anymore? is there something else in the key switch that needs connected?

jbraz7
January 28th, 2014, 05:14 PM
I have a 1991 Ninja 250 Project and the ignition key switch is broken. I jumpered the wires at the 5 Pin connector and it worked once. I connected the blue and red wires and connected the White, Yellow, and Brown wires together, and it worked and I started the bike once. Now when I do it I get no dash lights or anything. I tried connecting the 5 pin connector with the broken ignition switch and juggled it with a screw driver and I got the lights to come on. This connection isn't stable so thats why I went to the jumper but my question is why wont the jumper work anymore? is there something else in the key switch that needs connected?

alex.s
January 28th, 2014, 05:18 PM
it needs a resistor

jbraz7
January 28th, 2014, 05:22 PM
How do I get around that? or could I add a resistor to my jumper wires?

alex.s
January 28th, 2014, 05:26 PM
did you steal this bike?

jbraz7
January 28th, 2014, 05:28 PM
haha no, its not even a bike I was given a ninja 250 motor, wiring harness, gauges, and headlight and I'm building a go kart

jbraz7
January 28th, 2014, 05:29 PM
and im building it as cheaply as possible, and don't really wanna buy a new key switch.

Ducati999
January 29th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Look around this website for a wiring diagram of your year and it will tell you the color wire and OHM of the resistor. I had to this very thing when i got my SV650. The seller had lost the key and it was really easy to go to Radio Shack to buy the proper resistor ($2.00) and get it working:thumbup:

jbraz7
January 29th, 2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks! I can't seem to find the resistor in the wiring diagram? and I know the 2008+ had them like 100ohm or something but I cant find it a 1991.

Ducati999
January 29th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I dont know if you can send me the wiring diagram but i am an electronics guy so i will apply my Google fu and see what i can find please stand by.

jbraz7
January 29th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Im not sure how to post pics.. But Im looking at the switch diagram and for the run it says blue and red wires are connected and the White, Yellow, and Brown wires are connected. I don't see any resistor, unless its somewhere else on the bike not on the ignition switch?

Thanks so much for your help! your really helping the forum keep its "friendliest ninja 250 forum" name!!

Ducati999
January 29th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Here is what I have found on this site.

The '93-07 models have a 100Ω resistor in the ignition that acts as a theft deterrent. You'll have to bypass this resistor:

brown => white
brown => 100 ohm resistor => grey

I do not know if this is the exact same for the 'J' models, though I'm confident that the resistor is still there.

jbraz7
January 29th, 2014, 10:00 AM
So I need a 100ohm resistor between the brown and white wires?

Ducati999
January 29th, 2014, 10:02 AM
From what I learned on the SV you have to put power thru the resister into the GREY wire which should feed the CDI box. There is a chip (of sorts) in there which reads the properly decreased voltage and allows the rest of the electronics to do their job. You may have just gotten lucky the first time or it may have malfunctioned. I would get two different amperage resisters at the store. I remember that the smaller one would not work on my Suzuki but the larger amp one worked fine. :clapping:

jbraz7
January 29th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Awesome! Thank you so much!!

Ducati999
January 29th, 2014, 04:09 PM
How did you make out did it run or not:confused:

jbraz7
January 29th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I haven't gotten a chance to try it.. :( I probably wont until Friday afternoon. So if I just cut the grey wire going into the CDI box and add in the resistor would that work?
Ill let you know how it turns out! thanks again!

the big mike
January 30th, 2014, 05:21 AM
a go kart? :p sweet!!!!! pics? :)

jbraz7
January 30th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Yup its really ugly.. its like half lawn mower. Im getting my ignition problem figured out tomorrow and then i gotta run some cables for pedals and it will be ridable. Im not sure how to post pics or i would

allanoue
January 30th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Yup its really ugly.. its like half lawn mower. Im getting my ignition problem figured out tomorrow and then i gotta run some cables for pedals and it will be ridable. Im not sure how to post pics or i would
FYI
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

:worthlesswithoutpic

onequicktang
December 18th, 2014, 08:50 AM
haha no, its not even a bike I was given a ninja 250 motor, wiring harness, gauges, and headlight and I'm building a go kart

I am doing the exact same thing right now with the exact same issue. Power to everything but no spark!

Ninja'n
April 27th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Working on a 1986 250 do you happin to know what resister works for it and on what wire

InvisiBill
April 28th, 2016, 05:17 AM
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126626