View Full Version : oil change intervals.

Josh_kcco
February 19th, 2014, 01:27 PM
so I know they say every 3k to 6k after the break in period.
but how often do you guys do it?
ive been doing it every 1k miles.
so ill be coming up on my second change, since ive had the bike.

not sure if 1k oil changes are going to help at all in the long run or just make me spend more.

Alex
February 19th, 2014, 01:44 PM
It will help the oil companies (and therefore my retirement accounts), so I'm all for it. Consider 500 mile changes if you want to be really careful.

(p.s. Kawi provides recommended intervals, as listed in your owners manual. Won't hurt anything to change more frequently, but it would be hard to argue that ultra-frequent changes are cost-effective in any way).

agentbad
February 19th, 2014, 02:23 PM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Oil_Change_Frequency

adouglas
February 19th, 2014, 02:46 PM
In a typical season I'll ride about 4000 miles, just commuting and riding for fun. Since I always store the bike for the winter with fresh oil in it, I pretty much just change once a year.

If I take a trip or it looks like I'm on track to ride 6k or more for the year, I'll change more often. This year I'm hitting the track and I'll change it before that. But every 1k? Heck no.

You'll hear passionate arguments on all sides of this. You can find support for every possible position.

Just ask yourself this:

Have you ever, even once, heard of mechanical failure due to oil? (Except for failure from having none, that is.)

The reality of motorcycles is that very few get ridden until the engine actually wears out. So while it's not good to never EVER change the oil, being anal about it doesn't do you any good IMHO.

Aircraft owners routinely send oil samples off for analysis to check for wear and to maximize the life of their engines. But consider the context... airplanes last for decades and overhauling engines is common because they're so flippin' expensive.

Do the math. How much are you spending in oil and filters changing every 1k? You'll pay for a new engine PDQ at that rate.

I used to change my car's oil every 3k. But I now have a maintenance minder light... the car keeps track of how I drive and illuminates it when the oil is reaching end of life, independent of mileage. It doesn't actually know if the oil is still good, of course, but it does know how much load I've been putting on the engine and can figure it out from there. I'm at 120k and the engine runs like new, even though my oil changes are far less frequent. And I'm saving a lot of money along the way.

LCR
February 19th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I change once a year or 10K which ever comes first.

Josh_kcco
February 19th, 2014, 03:10 PM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Oil_Change_Frequency

Thanks for this... Obviously from what I stated in the original post I didn't read this page..

Josh_kcco
February 19th, 2014, 03:18 PM
In a typical season I'll ride about 4000 miles, just commuting and riding for fun. Since I always store the bike for the winter with fresh oil in it, I pretty much just change once a year.

If I take a trip or it looks like I'm on track to ride 6k or more for the year, I'll change more often. This year I'm hitting the track and I'll change it before that. But every 1k? Heck no.

You'll hear passionate arguments on all sides of this. You can find support for every possible position.

Just ask yourself this:

Have you ever, even once, heard of mechanical failure due to oil? (Except for failure from having none, that is.)

The reality of motorcycles is that very few get ridden until the engine actually wears out. So while it's not good to never EVER change the oil, being anal about it doesn't do you any good IMHO.

Aircraft owners routinely send oil samples off for analysis to check for wear and to maximize the life of their engines. But consider the context... airplanes last for decades and overhauling engines is common because they're so flippin' expensive.

Do the math. How much are you spending in oil and filters changing every 1k? You'll pay for a new engine PDQ at that rate.

I used to change my car's oil every 3k. But I now have a maintenance minder light... the car keeps track of how I drive and illuminates it when the oil is reaching end of life, independent of mileage. It doesn't actually know if the oil is still good, of course, but it does know how much load I've been putting on the engine and can figure it out from there. I'm at 120k and the engine runs like new, even though my oil changes are far less frequent. And I'm saving a lot of money along the way.

I rode about 3 days a week to work as the one day I have off I ride all day.
I'm hoping soon that I will be able to ride everyday.
Once a year seems like a long time to keep oil in a motor lol

fast1075
February 19th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Couple of things affect oil life. (a) how much time the engine is on the choke warming up. You are washing the cylinders and polluting the oil. (b) Riding long enough each time to get the engine FULLY up to temperature (getting the oil good and hot) this "boils" the moisture and volatiles out of the oil. (c) How effective the air filtration system is. The bigger the pores in the filter, the more crap makes it into the motor. (d) How long does the bike sit unridden.

For you guys with fuel injection (A) has little effect. In fact most of the engine wear (aside from inhaled dirt) comes from those first few minutes after the engine is started up cold.

Personally, I change mine every 3K, sooner if it begins to use some. (And some oils "go thru the motor" more than others.) In fact, I run my 250 so hard, I am amazed it hasn't come unglued by now. I truly run the livin' crap out of it. Wide open 13K shifts all day long on my Sunday rides. (tame and easy in town where the PoPo live :).

FvnnyL3tt3r1ng
February 19th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Personally, I change mine every 3K, sooner if it begins to use some.

this

Josh_kcco
February 19th, 2014, 07:06 PM
thanks for the replies. I was just curious on when YOU guys did your oild changes.
I like the every 2.5k or so.

Sirref
February 19th, 2014, 07:11 PM

They have sensors for everything in cars these days. :eek:

I change my oil every 3-4k miles and check for leaks every time I clean my chain (about once to twice a week) Unless I'm really running the bike ridiculously hard I don't really see much benefit in changing it more often. As I get into track days I'll change it right before each track weekend but by then I should have my track bike up and running with fresh oil anyway.

RBN
February 20th, 2014, 12:06 PM
3-4k or when the gear change looses its smoothness.

Whichever comes sooner.

dcj13
February 20th, 2014, 06:34 PM
XJ8: every 10K miles with NAPA synthetic.
SL500: every 8K miles or so with NAPA synthetic.
'95 Saturn: every 8K miles or so with NAPA synthetic.
'89 Subaru DL: every couple of years with whatever oil.
TR6 car: every few years (not too many miles these days...).

BMW K75: every 7.5K with Mobil I synthetic (dry clutch, separate tranny oil @ 10K).
Ninjette: we'll see... probably every 5K or so with whatever oil.
KLR250: we'll see... probably every 5K or so with whatever oil.

Honda riding mower: every 3 years or so with whatever oil.
Other mowers: just check/top up level, haven't changed in years.
Coleman 3KW generator: last changed during the Clinton administration, but check/top up oil level every major power outage.
Big-ass air compressor pump: every 20 years or so with whatever oil.

gallardo73
March 1st, 2014, 07:16 PM
hello guys I am giving away a brand new oil filter k&n 401 in the box i change my bike to a yamaha fz6r just have to pick it up let me know:)