View Full Version : Loud noise in engine

methos
April 15th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I have a 2005 250 which I just bought about a month ago. Today I was riding and stopped at the store for about 10 minutes, when I came out and started my bike there was a very loud clatter coming from the engine as soon as I started it. It sounds like it is coming from the top half of the engine. The bike was running fine all day until the last time I tried to start it. I am not a mechanic so any info would be greatly appreciated.

kkim
April 15th, 2009, 08:13 PM
do a search for "cam chain tensioner". CCT

NickH
April 15th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I have a 2005 250 which I just bought about a month ago. Today I was riding and stopped at the store for about 10 minutes, when I came out and started my bike there was a very loud clatter coming from the engine as soon as I started it. It sounds like it is coming from the top half of the engine. The bike was running fine all day until the last time I tried to start it. I am not a mechanic so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes a low fuel grade will cause a knocking noise. What are you running?

-Nick-
Posted via Mobile Device

sometimesido
April 15th, 2009, 08:20 PM
oil level
check the oil level yes?
and when were the valves adjusted?

methos
April 15th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I run premium gas only.

NickH
April 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I run premium gas only.

Okay, that's a good thing.
Posted via Mobile Device

methos
April 15th, 2009, 08:31 PM
oil level
check the oil level yes?
and when were the valves adjusted?

I checked the oil this afternoon before I left home. I have only had the bike about a month, only put about 80 miles on it so far. When I bought it there was only 1000 miles on the bike. The guy I bought it from said the bike had been taken in for the 500 mile service, which I understand should include a valve adjustment.

JCCJMM_
April 15th, 2009, 08:36 PM
How about some more specific info on the noise itself.........

BTW, I have never run anything above 87 in my ninja. Never had a problem, but I only run Shell petrol.
From my understanding it is designed to run most effeciently on 87.

methos
April 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
How about some more specific info.........

As soon as I started the bike there was a very loud "rattle" in the engine. I don't know how else to describe it. It seems to me to be coming from the valve cover.

methos
April 15th, 2009, 08:57 PM
do a search for "cam chain tensioner". CCT

Thank you for this suggestion. The post I read after searching sounds exactly like the problem I am experiencing. Again Thank You.

kkim
April 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
hope that helps.

unless you have a piece of paper that says the valves were adjusted, consider they were not.

Nemy
April 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM
ya and from my experience and other zzr 250 owners, be aware the pre-gens all have a kind of rattley sound coming from the front end anyways. But like kkim suggested, if it's excessively loud it could be the CCT