View Full Version : Cover the side covers with ?

thsadmin
May 6th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Hey Guys,

I really want to clean up my bike, the side covers / knee guards are showing some wear and (literally a few small) tears. The covers were red and painted black - but after riding it around my knees are rubbing off the paint.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1819&stc=1&d=1241596664

I wanted to replace the material, cover the material or something else ...

Anyone got ideas ?

What kind of material to cover it with ?

Is there a thin foam (like 0.50 - 1cm thick) or similar material with adhesive ? That's what I was thinking of using - in black. Or is there a material made for this type of thing ? Maybe even rubber ?

Thanks.

zartan
May 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
We always considered the rubbed off areas battle scars and are kind of prestigious!!

If the surface is not smooth the adhesive will have a hard time sticking. That would be molded plastic right?? hmmm. ask a painter what would be best. You could vinyl it but I still think the texture will make it come loose.
Sorry not more help...

thsadmin
May 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
If the surface is not smooth the adhesive will have a hard time sticking. That would be molded plastic right??

The battle scars have the old color coming through though - and the vinyl is torn / splitting. It's the same material as the seat, with a thin layer of foam under it.

I have found a link on this forum : http://www.bonanzle.com/booths/1344/items/4221763

They stock the full kit of vinyls for $60 (USD) and recently had a 50% off special for Ninjette members ... damn I missed the boat.

Ideally I was after a temporary solution at a budget price and I don't have the patience to wait for mail.

zartan
May 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM
My 99 did not have the foamy vinyl. Now it makes sense to want to fix it. I thought it was just hard plastic. Geeez any local upholstery shops that might sell that thin material in your area???

thsadmin
May 6th, 2009, 11:41 PM
My 99 did not have the foamy vinyl. Now it makes sense to want to fix it. I thought it was just hard plastic. Geeez any local upholstery shops that might sell that thin material in your area???

Mmmm I might have a look around town, I watched a video on this forum on how to replace the vinyl and that looked pretty straight forward. Now I may need to put the project on hold ... and find a solution to my major oil leak.

Apex
May 7th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Coat it with something to protect it, lay out some fiberglass on it, do your coats of resin, and mold it to fit. Sand it nice and smooth, then get it painted whatever color you want. :D

thsadmin
May 7th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Coat it with something to protect it, lay out some fiberglass on it, do your coats of resin, and mold it to fit. Sand it nice and smooth, then get it painted whatever color you want.

Sweet idea, I like it, would that be expensive ? I might Google it and see if I can find instructions on how to use fiberglass and create it - how would you suggest making it grip ? as straight out paint would be a little slippery - when gripping with my knees.

jonb08
May 10th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Off topic but that's a sweet bike.

sharky nrk
May 10th, 2009, 12:37 PM
get a sheet from techspec and cut to fit

it will cover and grip

sharky nrk
May 10th, 2009, 12:39 PM
man i need me an 86 or 87

thsadmin
May 10th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Off topic but that's a sweet bike.

Thanks it's taken a little bit of work to get it to a good condition, and chase down new parts and old parts - eBay is a friend - not to mention the paint work, fairing chop, etc.

get a sheet from techspec and cut to fit

it will cover and grip

A sheet of what ? I will google techspec sheet and see what comes up :) and when to put it on ?

man i need me an 86 or 87

yeah the 86 is the original Ninja, little hard to find a decent bike and replace the cosmetic parts - like plastics and fairings for example.

sharky nrk
May 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
sorry, techspec is a company that makes a tank gripper solution similar to stompgrip. i have their precut kit on my 6r and LOVE it. they make three different products of different thickness and style but all the same purpose. it is an adhesive backing so you literally just need to clean up the stockers really well and slap them on. they sell a cut yourself kit in a sheet style. i think it would be perfect solution for you

thsadmin
May 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Sweet, thanks for the info, I found :

http://www.techspec-usa.com/products/gs_misc.html

I like the ice or high fusion. Nice work, now I have a few ideas to work with.

I was starting to think about grip tape for a skateboard ... but that may be to rough and damage my pants.

87 zx-2r
July 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Hey Guys,

I really want to clean up my bike, the side covers / knee guards are showing some wear and (literally a few small) tears. The covers were red and painted black - but after riding it around my knees are rubbing off the paint.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1819&stc=1&d=1241596664

I wanted to replace the material, cover the material or something else ...

Anyone got ideas ?

What kind of material to cover it with ?

Is there a thin foam (like 0.50 - 1cm thick) or similar material with adhesive ? That's what I was thinking of using - in black. Or is there a material made for this type of thing ? Maybe even rubber ?

Thanks.

87 zx-2r
July 9th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I used alum. diamond plate. I got my plate poilshed but didnt carw for the look. I used some self-etching primer then a good gloss black. You can see them on my bike. I'm new here but I'm 87 zx-2r.

Wes
July 9th, 2009, 05:47 PM
How about just covering what you have with marine-grade vinyl?

Purspeed
July 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
This will work as function AND form...

http://www.stompdesign.com/stompgrip/street_kawasaki.asp