View Full Version : ZX600 Rear Shock Question

krbreton
June 14th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Hi All-

Based on the advice in the ninja 250 FAQ, as well as my current weight of 200 lbs, I decided to upgrade the rear shock on my 1997 Ninjette. I bought a 1989 Ninja ZX600 Shock off ebay. When I got it, I pressure tested it, and then drained/replaced the oil with 7.5W Fork Oil. However, when I drained the shock, I only got about 150mL of fluid out of the shock, including heating the shock body with a hair dryer. I then replaced an identical amount of fluid using a syringe.

I am wondering - Since the FAQ says that there should be about 285mL of oil in this shock, is there some sitting in the shock still, or should I assume it was underfilled and then top it off. How would I know when there is too much oil in the shock? Should I just fill it until it starts running out of the fill-hole? Should I try to drain the whole thing again, now that the fresh oil has been in there and see if I get more fluid?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I don't want to put the shock on the bike until I have it set up with the oil level correctly.

Thanks in advance,

Kyle

Snake
June 14th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Did you try moving the shock in and out to try and force the old fluid out? Try that and then fill with the 285ml as reccomended.

noche_caliente
June 14th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I can't really help with your question, but welcome to ninjette!

krbreton
June 15th, 2009, 11:24 AM
Hey Guys-

Thanks for the responses. I'll stick it on the bike and work it through a few times, take it off and drain it, and then fill with the recommended 285mL.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to have somebody check it out at the next Bay Area Ninjette ride.

-Kyle

Snake
June 15th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Let us know how you like it after it is all set up.