View Full Version : Unconnected wires

jola
July 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I have two pairs of unconnected wires. I do not know what they are for because I cannot see anything loose that would mate up to them. One is near the headlight and one is near the rear brake fluid reservoir. All my control switches work.

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/29251268226.jpg?1246822810

http://www.fquick.com/images/vehicles/full/29251268228.jpg?1246822885

Verus Cidere
July 5th, 2009, 12:59 PM
I have those wire clusters too. I have no idea what they are for, but I haven't run into any problems either. I just assumed they were normal.

jola
July 5th, 2009, 01:05 PM
Thank you Michael. Since it has been running with no electrical problems I shall adopt your theory as well. :)

Grn99Kawi
July 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
check your owner's manual.. those are power leads but I think that the max draw allowed is like 10A.

Adam

Snake
July 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I checked on my bike and in my manual and those are power leads for accessories such as heated grips, gloves, or gps / ipods if you wish. Just stay below the amperage limits.

jola
July 5th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thank you very much!

Alex
July 5th, 2009, 10:10 PM
It's a great feature that was left off of the new-gens, unfortunately. I used the front accessory wires on our pre-gen to power a GPS; worked great! :thumbup:

Wes
July 8th, 2009, 06:49 PM
They're not as great a feature as you'd think. They are separately fused, but unswitched. This means, say, if you hook a pair of heated grips up to them and park in public, and then some snot-nosed kid touches your grip switch... you're trying to bump start your bike, which is extremely difficult with a /completely/ dead battery.

For aux power, I prefer the horn circuit.

Wes

Wes
July 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Oh, horn circuit preference only for EX250-F9 onward. Prior bikes have the horn on the main circuit, meaning you'll kill everything (including your ignition) if your mods screw up. For EX250-F1 to F8 I suggest a separate fuse block. Haven't given much thought to EX250-E.

Wes

Verus Cidere
July 8th, 2009, 11:38 PM
They look like they would be fairly easy to unplug if you had something like that on there. Couldn't you just unplug them when you weren't using them?

Wes
July 9th, 2009, 06:11 AM
They're about as easy to unplug as the turn signal plugs, but twice as hard if you have two accessories plugged into them (they are a dual bullet connector).

I don't know about you, but I'd rather do the job right rather than plugging/unplugging crap from my wiring harness everytime I wanted to ride my bike (which in my case is several times a day). Nevermind the fact that you're setting yourself up for an eventual failure.

Wes

Verus Cidere
July 9th, 2009, 10:05 PM
True. Couldn't you just get a switch for it then?

Wes
July 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Well, yes, of course you could get a switch for your accessories. In fact, most accessories like grip heaters come with switches, otherwise people would complain about hot hands in the summer time.

But as I mentioned in my original post, they're not on switched power. This means that anybody walking by and flicking a switch on your bike can leave you stranded with a dead battery. That is why I recommend tapping the horn circuit instead. Then only people with keys to your bike can kill your battery.

Wes