View Full Version : Clip-ons....

Verus Cidere
July 17th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Hey guys. I've been planning to get a rearset and some clip-ons for Fury after the AP exhaust. I've been doing some checking on clip-ons and found a few different options. I was wondering if anybody has had any experience with these options and can tell me if they are worth it. :confused20:

Obviously, the first option is Woodcraft. These generally run about $150 on ebay, and $160 on the woodcraft website (http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17285). A big thanks to Komohana for his DIY on the install for these. My question on these is this: are these really the best or are they just more well-known?

Next up, we have the product of a member of this forum. Oddcoupe is completely unknown to me other than from what I've read on their site (http://www.oddcoupe.com/products.html). If you're out there, Mr. oddcoupe guy (can't remember your username, sorry!) can you give me a bit more info on these, like pricing, available colors, amount of adjustability, and availability/shipping? Anybody have these?

Next up, an unknown brand called vortex. Found these on motorcyclesuperstore.com for a little less than $150 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/68/6288/ITEM/Vortex-Clip-On-Road-Race-Bars.aspx). I can't find any info on these whatsoever when pertaining to ninjettes. Do they actually fit? Are there clearance issues? I just don't know!

And finally, Pro-Tek. These are available from bikebandit.com for a little less than $140 (http://www.bikebandit.com/product/19295?mg=2079&t=1&td=1). I have the same problems with these as the vortex ones. I know almost nothing about them. The only thing I can find that I like about them is that you can use regular screw-on bar ends without major rigging on these.

Somebody help me out if you have experience with any of these. I've got a bit of time before I get any, but I want to make an informed choice, not just buy the ones that are cheaper only to find out about the downsides later. Thanks in advance! :D

P1NDLESK1N
July 17th, 2009, 02:46 PM
If I remember right, clipons for the pregen have clearance issues with the front fairing and gas tank. Never heard of Oddcoupe though.

Woodcraft makes lowered risers though, they fit with no issues. I believe the lowered risers are depicted in the woodcraft picture you posted.

Verus Cidere
July 17th, 2009, 02:51 PM
That's why I'm interested in oddcoupe. The website says it lowers the bars over 3 inches and has full clearance, where the woodcraft ones show a 1.5 inch drop. Thanks for the info on the other clip-ons! :thumbup:

ROADandTRACK
July 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Oddcoupe looks like complete junk from the pic, the woodcraft are proven to work great get those. IMHO

Purspeed
July 17th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I'm def. interested in this thread...

I wonder if you can use the '08 Ninja WoodCraft units with a spacer?

ShishkaBOMB
July 17th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Quiks66 is the username of the member on here who sells the Odd Coupe clipons.

Vortex is not an unknown brand. They make very high quality products. Though, their clipons are just not too well known and popular among the 250 crowd.
http://www.vortexracing.com/

Haven't heard of Pro-Tek.

You can't go wrong with Woodcraft though as they have been proven to work.

kkim
July 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I wonder if you can use the '08 Ninja WoodCraft units with a spacer?

what's wrong with just using the clip ons woodcraft makes for the pregens? :confused:

P1NDLESK1N
July 17th, 2009, 08:01 PM
There's really only so many ways you can put a clamp and a bar together. :rolleyes:

komohana
July 17th, 2009, 09:44 PM
:2cents:
the woodcrafters have done me good. while adjusting the bars after i installed them, bar clearance at full left and full right made me position the bars farther back than i had wanted. not by much, and the position is fine. i'm assuming here, and just went outside to look at clearances again, but anything lower on my bike would have me bringing the bars farther rearward, which for me isn't what i'd prefer.

Purspeed
July 17th, 2009, 11:02 PM
what's wrong with just using the clip ons woodcraft makes for the pregens? :confused:

I prefer the cafe racer look and the Woodcraft units don't achieve this. I am not sure if the low slung bars that I would like would clear the fairings, though. Hmmmm...:)

Verus Cidere
July 18th, 2009, 12:16 AM
I'd love to find out, but I wouldn't want to be the experiment without a guarantee that if it didn't work I'd have a place to get rid of my unused bars! :D

Verus Cidere
July 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Vortex is not an unknown brand. They make very high quality products. Though, their clipons are just not too well known and popular among the 250 crowd.
http://www.vortexracing.com/

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that they're completely unknown, just that they're unknown to me! :rolleyes:

P1NDLESK1N
July 18th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Are the pregen and newgen clipons any different?

sharky nrk
July 18th, 2009, 08:03 AM
just remember that when looking at clip ons, with serious down angle - ALOT of weight will be on your wrists

komohana
July 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM

yes i believe they are

Purspeed
July 18th, 2009, 02:39 PM

Yes, the dampeners have a wider diameter tube on the 2008+ models. Also, the fairings are different, so clearance may be a concern.

Verus Cidere
July 18th, 2009, 03:23 PM
just remember that when looking at clip ons, with serious down angle - ALOT of weight will be on your wrists

Aren't you supposed to support that weight with your abs and back muscles? Besides, even with clip-ons, this bike won't have as much of a down-angle as a regular supersport bike. I've ridden one of those and the pressure when it was there didn't bother me at all. Thanks for the tip though! :thumbup:

So basically, the consensus is that the best idea would be the woodcraft ones, as the others are either unknown, or unproven for my bike? :confused:

sharky nrk
July 18th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Aren't you supposed to support that weight with your abs and back muscles? Besides, even with clip-ons, this bike won't have as much of a down-angle as a regular supersport bike. I've ridden one of those and the pressure when it was there didn't bother me at all. Thanks for the tip though! :thumbup:

So basically, the consensus is that the best idea would be the woodcraft ones, as the others are either unknown, or unproven for my bike? :confused:

ideally yes - and i try my best to do so - but with low aggressive clipons and high rearsets your gonna get weight on those wrists. you just can't help it. your probably right about the total weight distribution and positioning on a pregen ninjette with clip-ons and rearsets. I don't know how long your rode on the other bike, but i am fine for an hour or so straight but then it gets tough. Regardless post of your results when you get them installed. good luck

Verus Cidere
July 18th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be aware of the wrist pressure thing once I get the stuff installed. I still have quite a bit of time before I get these, as they come after the exhaust, the new tires, and some fairing work. :D I'm just trying to get as much info as possible before I get to that point. Thanks!

Verus Cidere
August 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I contacted oddcoupe about their bars. They told me it was going to be $80 a set. I don't think that includes shipping prices. They also said that some control holes are pre-drilled, and others can be drilled if the need be. The downside was that they said there were some fork modifications to be done for clearance issues. I've already asked them for descriptions of the modifications as well as more pictures showing the amount of clearance their bars give.

CRXTrek
August 6th, 2009, 02:38 PM
ideally yes - and i try my best to do so - but with low aggressive clipons and high rearsets your gonna get weight on those wrists. you just can't help it. your probably right about the total weight distribution and positioning on a pregen ninjette with clip-ons and rearsets. I don't know how long your rode on the other bike, but i am fine for an hour or so straight but then it gets tough. Regardless post of your results when you get them installed. good luck
Holding myself up with my legs and core ,the only time i have weight on my hands is when i'm on the brakes. The supersports are all lower than you can get on the ninjette. There shouldn't be any problem with proper form. I'm 6'1" and 185 lbs.
LOVE MY 6 :D

Verus Cidere
August 14th, 2009, 01:14 PM
I have a question about the clipons listed on woodcraft.com... Are both of the setups for the EX500 useable on a ninjette? From what I can tell, the only difference is that the bars are a centimeter longer. Is that correct?

Here's a link to the page at woodcraft.com: http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=12691

Verus Cidere
August 14th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Just checked my email.... I sent the same question to woodcraft and they said that the 37mm doesn't fit the ninjette, but the 36 does. Dang! There's a set of 37's on ebay for REALLY cheap!

Quiks66
August 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Verus, sorry to take a while to get back to you, but I now have better pictures and can give more info.

They're a big improvement over stock and actually offer more adjustability over the other lowered bars out there for the old model EX250's. Our bars fit the 88-07's and are steal for the price. My business partner and I are new in the parts business but are real riders just trying to help other riders make the most of their Ninjettes. My biz partner is an Aerospace Machinist and he hand-welds all the bars at this point. The bars are made from steel and are very strong. If you guys have any other questions, shoot them over to me.

http://www.oddcoupe.com/NinjaBarsBW2(Web).JPG

http://www.oddcoupe.com/NinjaBarsBW3(Web).JPG

Greg_E
August 19th, 2009, 06:27 AM
From what I can see in the pictures the fit and finish looks pretty good, better than I can turn out on the machining that I can do.

Is it a high chrome steel or just a regular carbon steel?

Can you weld aluminum? Cut out of billet with the tube welded to the plate would be cool. Maybe anodize it too.

Quiks66
August 19th, 2009, 10:10 AM
From what I can see in the pictures the fit and finish looks pretty good, better than I can turn out on the machining that I can do.

Is it a high chrome steel or just a regular carbon steel?

Can you weld aluminum? Cut out of billet with the tube welded to the plate would be cool. Maybe anodize it too.

Thanks for the questions. The bars are made of carbon steel, the bar is .090 wall tubing and the base plate is 1/4" steel. They're real tough :thumbup:

Down the road we are looking to use aluminum and offer different finishes, but for now we're going for simplicity and effectiveness. Cost is also a big part of it and keeping it affordable for more people is key.

We have a couple design changes that may lighten the bars, but most people that ride/race Ninja 250's will agree that a few extra ounces is no big deal when you're already down on power. Corner speed FTW.

Greg_E
August 19th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Aluminum will probably snap in a crash, but some people might be willing to risk it, mostly on the street where you are probably going to tow it home anyway.

ROADandTRACK
August 19th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Woodcraft use aluminum and they don't "snap" and they are cheap to replace the bars. These here will break at the weld (or bend) and you gotta replace the whole thing. Plus they don't look.... well, they look like they are made in a HS shop class. Sorry. But thats what I see.

Imthebriman
August 19th, 2009, 02:38 PM
So where can order these oddcoupe bars from and what are the mods you have to do to the forks for these to work
Posted via Mobile Device

Quiks66
August 19th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Woodcraft use aluminum and they don't "snap" and they are cheap to replace the bars. These here will break at the weld (or bend) and you gotta replace the whole thing. Plus they don't look.... well, they look like they are made in a HS shop class. Sorry. But thats what I see.

Well, the hope is that you will keep the sticky side down, isn't it? :D

The bars are made for a purpose, that being to bring the controls lower and allow you to pull the forks through the triple clamps to adjust the geometry of the bike. Stock Ninja 250 bars are made from cheap cast aluminum and bend very easily. A crash putting enough force on the Odd Coupe bars to break them would likely leave you with more to worry about than replacing one bar.

Not to mention that they are 1/2 the price of the Woodcraft sets.

Here's a review from a WERA racer back in Georgia.
http://www.superbikeconnection.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341

As I mentioned above, These are sold at a great price and I highly recommend these for anyone that is considering a lower riser clipons. The OddCoupe Bars in my opinion are better than anything else you will find for these bikes and they are great guys to deal with (OddCoupe races what they sell).

Verus Cidere
August 31st, 2009, 11:48 PM
I have a question. The oddcoupe description recommends a coat of paint to seal out rust. Would powdercoating do this as well? I'd love to powdercoat them instead if it would work the same way and would look better. Can I get the same basic effect out of paint for cheaper?

Verus Cidere
August 31st, 2009, 11:54 PM
Oh, and a question for clarification... Does the installation of these bars require adjusting the forks, or can you leave them as-is? I'd like not to mess with the original geometry of the bike if I can help it.