View Full Version : Centerstand all of a sudden contacting the exhaust?

Grn99Kawi
August 24th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Yesterday I went out and got gas.. came home and put it on the center stand... the part that you step on was tapping the muffler ever so slightly.. which I dont want.. the muffler is right where it was before.. the hanger brackets are in tight and not bent.. If I put the center stand up at just below the muffler I can actually move it a bit and if I pull it outwards it will not tap the muffler.. this is weird, right? It is just the 'step' part, but I dont want it screwing up my nice mufflers....

There doesnt seem to be any range of adjustment from this schematic:

http://faq.ninja250.org/images/e/ef/Center_side_stands.jpg

The bumper is there and looks perfect.. as the stand comes up, maybe about 7/8 of the way up, it has some side to side movement if pushed.. I tapped it with a hammer, but that didnt do anything.. so I grinded maybe 1/8 inch off that inside part.. then recreated the bevel.. then repainted it.. I don’t think you can't tell I did anything to it and now it doesn’t touch the can.

Here is how it looks now. The first pic is of the center stand as it is about half way up.. easy to photograph. You can see the bushing or whatever is there and seems fine.

The second one is the same view but from directly above.

The third one is the 'pedal' when the stand is up and pushed as much as you can towards teh muffler.. so that is its closest point.

The fourth is the 'pedal' when the stand is up and pulled out as much as you can away from the muffler.. so that is its furthest point.

http://www.duggerracing.com/ninja/centerstand.jpg

Like I said.. it doesn't hit now, but that is because I used my grinder to gain the clearance.. but why did it start to move? Or did it always move but not come as close? Weird stuff.. I should be okay now, right? I could always use a pipe and bend the pedal out a bit more as well I suppose.

Is there any adjustment to it? I am going to try to tighten the nut and bolt another day, but it is tough to get to with the exhaust still on, and I think I need a 17mm open end.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Adam

kkim
August 24th, 2009, 03:39 PM
if the stand is moving side to side, there is obviously some play where the bolts mount the stand to the chassis? if so, shim the space with some washers to push the stand away from the mufflers, if you are sure it's the stand that's the problem and not the muffler shifting.

Grn99Kawi
August 24th, 2009, 05:50 PM
It doesnt seem to be the muffler.. its also weird how the free play only exists when the stand is 7/8 of the way up to all teh way up.. and I don't see any bushings in the schematic. I wish I had a rear stand to hold the bike up (or maybe someone to hold the bike up!) while I remove it.

ugh.. can anyone else confirm that the stand is moveable left to right maybe 1/8 of an inch when it is all the way up on their pregen?

Verus Cidere
August 25th, 2009, 01:07 AM
I haven't the slightest idea. :D On another note, anybody else have a bike dropped by a previous owner where the center stand is literally smashed into the exhaust. The bumper on mine no longer makes any connection at all. The place you push with your foot is now what is stopping it, and that is stopped in a dent in my left exhaust pipe. This thing is ALL bent outta shape! Should I do anything to correct this, or not worry about it since I'm getting the Area-P exhaust that both eliminates the center stand and the left exhaust pipe?

ASecretNinja
August 25th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I haven't the slightest idea. :D On another note, anybody else have a bike dropped by a previous owner where the center stand is literally smashed into the exhaust. The bumper on mine no longer makes any connection at all. The place you push with your foot is now what is stopping it, and that is stopped in a dent in my left exhaust pipe. This thing is ALL bent outta shape! Should I do anything to correct this, or not worry about it since I'm getting the Area-P exhaust that both eliminates the center stand and the left exhaust pipe?

If you're getting the area P, just get rid of the center stand. I have a full Muzzy
exhaust, and wasn't sad to see the center stand go.

If you're looking for a good rear stand, Harbor Freight makes some incredibly economical ones for motorcycles. Check their website if you don't have any stores close by.

If I remember correctly, it seems like my center stand was always resting against the stock exhaust on my EX250, but I don't know for sure.

Purspeed
August 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM
Don't worry about the center stand. I've been without mine for months upon months and I don't miss it at all. It's heavy and makes all kinds of noises while riding.

minuslars
September 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah previous-previous owner dropped my bike on the left side and the center stand rests on the left can here too. Doesn't bug me too much... Hasn't caused any detrimental handling effect