View Full Version : More Tire Questions

minuslars
August 27th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I busted my rear tire on my '03 yesterday (nice gash over 1 inch long) riding some twisties and had to get it towed. Now, I clearly need a new rear tire, but I might just change both...

I've been using the Dunlop K630's, which according to Ninja250.org, are crap (thank you previous owner). So in the spirit of trying something new, I think I want to go with the Dunlop GT501 rear and a Pirelli sport demon on front or just Pirelli sport demons all around, depending on what kind of mileage you get out of them... pregen fronts cannot accomodate the Dunlop GT501 front without a fender lift.

Any suggestions? I would like something that has good grip but also lasts because I commute on the bike over long boring stretches of highway pretty frequently. The GT501's were rated well on the Ninja250.org site, how have the Pirelli's treated you? Any other thoughts on other tire brands?

Alex
August 27th, 2009, 08:36 PM
This thread is in the new-gen tech section, /moving this post to its own thread in the pre-gen tech section.

bobaab
August 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM
There's no need to hustle the previous owner because those Dunlops are what came with the bike from the factory. They are indeed crap.

I replaced my stockers with a set of Kenda K671's. I also do a lot of commuting and these tires last a very long time, yet have good grip and predictable handling. I love them so far.

One other 250 owner I know REALLY likes them, and he has been around motorcycles a very long time. He rides 15k miles a year so you know he has experience...his 250's K671's has 8000 miles on them but has plenty of tread left and he has nothing but good things to say about them.

They are pretty cheap, so definitely look into them. Lowest prices can be found at places like Tires Unlimited or Dennis Kirk. Good luck!

gistmarrs
August 28th, 2009, 04:41 PM
I needed a new tire on the rear of my '07, so I found a great deal at Cycle Gear on the GT501. The difference is amazing. I still have the stock Dunlop in the front, but just changing the rear was huge. I will need to change the front in a few months when it is worn out and then I'll be able to see if it made any difference at all. Honesly, I'm not expecting much since the change in the rear was so huge. I'll probably go with a Pirelli SD or Scooter tire. I don't really want to mess with the front fender.

Jerry
August 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
There's no need to hustle the previous owner because those Dunlops are what came with the bike from the factory. They are indeed crap.

I replaced my stockers with a set of Kenda K671's. I also do a lot of commuting and these tires last a very long time, yet have good grip and predictable handling. I love them so far.

One other 250 owner I know REALLY likes them, and he has been around motorcycles a very long time. He rides 15k miles a year so you know he has experience...his 250's K671's has 8000 miles on them but has plenty of tread left and he has nothing but good things to say about them.

They are pretty cheap, so definitely look into them. Lowest prices can be found at places like Tires Unlimited or Dennis Kirk. Good luck!

Agreed