View Full Version : Sprocket help in oklahoma

Unicyclone
May 20th, 2017, 07:22 PM
4 buddies and myself set ourselves a limit of $500 to buy craigslist bikes, which we fixed up and are riding across the country.

I am on an 02 ninja 250, which is having chain/sprocket issues. At the end of the day yesterday, it got loose, and made gravely grinding noises for the last 20 minutes of the day. I tightened it to an inch of play when loaded this morning, and after 300 miles it was grinding again. I found a chain, but dont want to install it without a new front sprocket, as that is worn. We are currently in the panhandle of Oklahoma, and will be in taos NM tomorrow.

Does anyone along that route have a spare they'd sell me?

Also, does anyone knkw where the grinding noise might be from? I cant see where the chain is hitting on anything, so I'm wonedring if its the intercace oc the front sprocket and the engine output shaft

Thanks!

csmith12
May 20th, 2017, 08:53 PM
When a chain wears, it is common for it to make a patterned grinding noise and/or not staying within spec slack. The sound is most likely coming from chain links that lack lubricant in the links as it turns around the front (small) sprocket.

Imho, don't overthink this and just replace the chain and good luck on your trip! :)