View Full Version : Raven's Rejuvenation!

LittleRedNinjette
August 26th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Been gone a while, playing a little catch up. :o

Back in the 250 game with this little baby. Needs a fair amount of TLC but the motor seems solid.

So I'm thinking I'm going cafe on it as the front the front is MIA anyway. :p

Fist thing on that agenda is the tank. Rusty as f*** inside. :eek:

Anyone have any tips for saving a rusty tank? I want to save it if at all possible.

I happily still have the fuel injection kit I picked up for my last pregen.

Well, beyond that would love some ideas for headlights and whatnot as I cafe it out. Im going to be seeing who I can borrow ideas from as a catch up on what's been going on here.

Sorry I'd the pictures are screwy. It's been awhile so I can't remember just yet how to fix them. :rotflmao:

Triple Jim
August 26th, 2019, 05:07 PM
If the rust isn't in danger of making pinholes, you could clean the tank out good and make sure all the gasoline is out, and pour in some Evapo-Rust. It may take a few days of turning the tank to expose all the of surface to the liquid, but it's known to work pretty well without the danger of adding to the removal of steel.

If it does have pinholes and you really want to save it, Caswell's Phenol-Novolac epoxy liner is as good as it gets as far as sticking well and being resistant to today's fuels.

DannoXYZ
August 26th, 2019, 05:27 PM
Be careful of tips you'll find on vintage bicycle forums pushing oxalic acid. That stuff has no preference for rust or metal and will remove good steel along with rust!

Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid) and Evapo-rust, which I suspect uses phosphoric acid as well due to grey coating at end, is much better due to eating away only rust and leaving good metal alone.

LittleRedNinjette
August 26th, 2019, 05:27 PM
That's actually one of the options my other half was looking at but wasn't sure if it really would work.

dodgerdad
August 27th, 2019, 07:47 AM
Looks like there's a patch job on the left side of the tank.

Should be a fun build, keep up posting pics so we can see your progress :thumbup:

LittleRedNinjette
August 27th, 2019, 08:20 AM

Should be a fun build, keep up posting pics so we can see your progress :thumbup:

Yeah, not sure what he was trying to do there. We can fix any holes in it as long as we can get the rust out.

He took the tank to work to see what he can do there.

I definitely will. I'll keep this thread updated as we work on her. :D :thumbup:

CaliGrrl
August 27th, 2019, 09:32 AM
Glad to hear from you again!

LittleRedNinjette
August 27th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear from you again!

:wave: :D

So after trying Walmart toilet bowl cleaner (YouTube remedy that didn't really do much that we could see) and a pressure washing it's looking better in there. Going to try one of the suggested cleaners next.

Restlessrustler
August 27th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Here is the gas cap fix that works well!:rotflmao:

LittleRedNinjette
August 27th, 2019, 04:37 PM
Yeah... Someone needed to lay off the JB Weld...

DannoXYZ
August 28th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Yeah, someone tried to fix hole from too-long fairing bolt puncturing tank! There's guide somewhere showing how to drill out spot-welds on plate to fix hole in tank. I just braze all around plate to seal it to tank.

LittleRedNinjette
August 29th, 2019, 12:28 PM
so i need to get a list together of thinks i need and would like to do. Looks like the take is good. just got to seal it and check for leaks. :eek:

so what next...

any recommendations for the headlight? going to search later. something with integrated signals may be cool.

also needs tires stat! i'll have to post pictures of them later. they bad. :rotflmao:

Thinking about trimming or just replacing the front fender with something smaller.

defiantly need a tail chop. got to look for the amber lenses for the left and right of the tail light.

guess i need to make a better list. :rotflmao:

dodgerdad
August 29th, 2019, 12:56 PM
so i need to get a list together of thinks i need and would like to do. Looks like the take is good. just got to seal it and check for leaks. :eek:

so what next...

any recommendations for the headlight? going to search later. something with integrated signals may be cool.

also needs tires stat! i'll have to post pictures of them later. they bad. :rotflmao:

Thinking about trimming or just replacing the front fender with something smaller.

defiantly need a tail chop. got to look for the amber lenses for the left and right of the tail light.

guess i need to make a better list. :rotflmao:

I trimmed my fender then touched up the edges with touch-up paint. In my opinion any streetfighter or cafe should get a fender trim though I think a cafe should stay long but get cut on the sides and have the front/rear rounded off. That's just my 2 cents.

LittleRedNinjette
August 29th, 2019, 04:31 PM
That's not bad at all. Could be a idea there.

DannoXYZ
August 29th, 2019, 06:40 PM
I highly recommend Cibie 7" e-code headlight. These 7" lights outperform everything else on market with their wide beam pattern and sharp horizontal cut-off (superior to DOT lights for reducing glare to on-coming traffic's eyes).

https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-82440-Light-Unit/dp/B008DQV88Q/

They also have more classic look with curved lens rather than most other's flat face.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=16ujHgUCzqXzDF_j-_3bBF110G9Q_K2_R

DOT on left, Cibie e-code on right. There is also little upward flare to right to make street signs easier to read.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1Z6MNmm_GA8qTX5Eqv3opucdvYt-27H5o

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1seh3G2Cna0s3LMpAwt_e5kwnpln7M5ax

VaFish
August 30th, 2019, 04:50 PM
I've got a ton of pregen parts and set of lime green plastics. Happy to get rid of them cheap. No tank though.

Triple Jim
August 30th, 2019, 07:32 PM
Naval Jelly (phosphoric acid) and Evapo-rust, which I suspect uses phosphoric acid as well due to grey coating at end, is much better due to eating away only rust and leaving good metal alone.

The label on Evapo-Rust says it contains no acid. Its MSDS says it is a chelator. Now that MSDS don't have to actually say what's in the stuff in question, we have to guess. It's apparently non-toxic, and seems to work pretty well.

LittleRedNinjette
August 30th, 2019, 08:26 PM
I've got a ton of pregen parts and set of lime green plastics. Happy to get rid of them cheap. No tank though.

Shoot me a PM with what you have. May have stuff I haven't even thought about yet. Lol
Or did you have a post in here? I'll have to look again.

LittleRedNinjette
August 30th, 2019, 08:28 PM
I highly recommend Cibie 7" e-code headlight. These 7" lights outperform everything else on market with their wide beam pattern and sharp horizontal cut-off (superior to DOT lights for reducing glare to on-coming traffic's eyes).

https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-82440-Light-Unit/dp/B008DQV88Q/

They also have more classic look with curved lens rather than most other's flat face.

That one looks good. I do like the classic look a lot. Thanks!

Restlessrustler
September 20th, 2019, 07:28 PM
Ecotrons kit "test fit" all seems good, going to permanently place wires, airbox and fuel line. Looking for a airbox rubber band....but shes gonna be a runner!