View Full Version : Too much oil? Bike issues galore

jc_ninja
May 1st, 2011, 11:44 AM
Hey guys I really hope someone can help me out over here. I allowed a family member to ride my bike (licensed and experienced). The bike ran perfectly until it decided to not start after getting ready to leave from the place he rode it to. A (not so smart) neighbor offered help, saying that he was a mechanic and bike owner himself and determined the oil was low. He had a brand new bottle of motorcycle oil, and said he would top it off. Got the bike started and in a condition that the bike was able to be driven home. I come to find today he put an entire bottle of oil in the engine ( WTF), the bike was parked over night and in the morning a small oil spill was found under the bike and is not running right ( needless to say) what course of action should i take to remidy the issue and what kinda of damage am i looking at. Thank you very much in advance to anyone who can help. :confused::mad::mad::confused:

1994Ninja250F
May 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Start by putting the bike on the centerstand (the bike must be completely upright for this to work). Look into the oil sight glass, which is probably completely full. Loosen the drain plug and let the oil slowly leak out until the oil is at the propper level on the sight glass. You want it close to the full line, but anywhere between the two hash marks will be okay.

About the damage: They say that overfilling it can blow gaskets, but this is actually quite rare. The puddle you describe is likely due to the excess oil being routed into the airbox, and then while the bike is parked, the oil that's now in there slowly leaks its way out of the airbox.

The only way to say for sure whether there is damage or not is to get the oil to the propper level, maybe wipe out the inside of the airbox (where the air filter goes), and then test ride from there.

Live2ride
May 1st, 2011, 08:16 PM
I just realized this on my bike the other day, my oil is overfilled. I went to drain it and neither one of my oil pans fit under the bike....so that didn't happen today. Could this possibly be the cause of false neutrals, a slipping clutch, or grinding sound when shifting into first?

kkim
May 1st, 2011, 08:27 PM
how much is it overfilled by?

Live2ride
May 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM
how much is it overfilled by?

mines at the very top of the sight glass or just above it when warm (upright).

kkim
May 1st, 2011, 08:44 PM
some will say it's okay, but I say take some out so you can see the oil line in the sight glass. I've read you can use the spray tube from a spray top bottle and pump the excess out through the oil fill hole.... never tried it, myself.

Live2ride
May 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
I think I'll just drain some next time I have the chance, hopefully tomorrow after my final exam :rolleyes:.

utahninja
May 1st, 2011, 09:38 PM
some will say it's okay, but I say take some out so you can see the oil line in the sight glass. I've read you can use the spray tube from a spray top bottle and pump the excess out through the oil fill hole.... never tried it, myself.

I have used the spray tube option, and it works great. Simple to do, no mess (as you spray into a small container) and quick.

Live2ride
May 1st, 2011, 09:45 PM
I have used the spray tube option, and it works great. Simple to do, no mess (as you spray into a small container) and quick.

Lmao, I thought u meant the spray tube from a can of brake clean or w/e, I was like...:confused:. Now I get it, I think I will do that, sounds much easier.

Jinx250
May 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
I just realized this on my bike the other day, my oil is overfilled. I went to drain it and neither one of my oil pans fit under the bike....so that didn't happen today. Could this possibly be the cause of false neutrals, a slipping clutch, or grinding sound when shifting into first?

No, no and no.

false neutrals = poor shifting technique

slipping clutch = (usually) misadjusted clutch lever

grinding sound when shifting into first = if you mean a large clunk, that's normal

Drain out the oil and replace. The guy didn't know enough to keep from putting too much oil in, who knows what kind of oil it actually was?