Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSomething View Post
Thanks Motofool. Yeah, I was planning on cleaning and lubing the chain myself at 1200 miles since it was done at my 600 mile service (which was done at about 700). I feel like I can do that no problem.

Update: just came back from my ride. It happened again, except this time I'm sure it came from the chain. It sounded like it was snapping into place. Again, it happened immediately after I stopped after warming up for about 15 minutes.

Also, as I was riding, I noticed that when I was holding steady at around 30mph I was feeling the bike sloshing forward and back. I'm thinking my chain needs adjustment.

A few questions...

I have no idea how to do this, don't have the tools to even try, and I'm not even remotely confident in my mechanical ability to even attempt this. If I bring it to my dealer, how much do they typically charge for that?

If I'm under warrant, does this count towards my warranty?

Is it safe to ride the 25 miles to get it there?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks for your input and advice!

D.
You are very welcome, D

Lubrication after 700 miles is not close to be enough.
The danger is in the O-rings of the chain getting dry and deteriorating the seal from external water for the internal lubricant.
When that happens, each link gains some pitch or distance between pins, resulting in a longer chain between both sprockets.
When the chain becomes too long, it also becomes too sloppy or loose and it could jump out of the sprockets.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=133019

No need to panic.
You can easily do the inspection that my first link above explains.
If the chain moves up and down at the middle point more than 30 mm, then, the slack of the chain needs to be re-adjusted.
The farther from 30 mm it is, the more dangerous riding to the dealer it could be.

This thread could give you some options for mechanics closer to your home:
http://www.soflasportbikes.com/forum...ops-avoid.html

TT Motosports has good reviews and is located by Sample and Dixie.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote