View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2015, 09:50 AM   #35
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
/Feeling VERY relieved... but VERY tired

[student report]
Short report - We came, we saw, we kicked ass!

I got exactly what I wanted from level 1 with CSS and their coaching is top shelf. My coach was Johnny Haynes. He had no problem letting me do what I came to do. He answered my questions (even the hard ones) without even the slightest of hesitation, with 100% accuracy AND was tailored to my current riding ability. Near the midpoint of the day and the brakes were allowed to come back into the track riding, he gave me the freedom to basically go as fast as I wanted to as long as it was safe with other traffic and I was working the current drill at the time. For me, this is when the drills made the most sense and I could "feel" where improvements were made. As a student rider, my riding was pretty close to where I thought it was and was needing some work here and there. Exactly my prediction….

Longer student report later...

[coach report]
I hinted in the OP that my plan attendance to CSS was more complex than normal. I will finally let the cat out of the bag here. I also went to CSS to complete the riding portion of the CSS coach tryout. As a select few of you already know, I have been working with CSS to become a coach since Jan. of this year. After completing all the other prerequisites/application/riding resume/interview, I was invited to come do the riding portion and "grilling" question and answer sessions with senior CSS staff. I was specifically paired with Johnny Haynes for this purpose and he grilled me all damn day too. hahahahaha Here are a few quotes from him;

Quote:
I am confused... you're in level one but using terminology associated with the school. Have you taken the school before?
Perfect textbook answer
I see you have come very well prepared
This next session, I would like to see you turn the bike a little more slowly.
It was the busiest day at the track in my life... Ugggg after a long drive and getting only 4 hours sleep, Cobie Fair (Chief Riding Coach World Wide) gave me a checklist to complete first thing in the morning. The first action item was to LITERALLY meet EVERY CSS staff member! The other items on the checklist were easy enough to complete but consumed all my free time.

At the end of the day and to make a long story short, I decided that my style of coaching is NOT a match with CSS. It has nothing to do with their program, it’s a personal conflict with me just from my point of view. I am honored that I was even considered and I thank them for their time and attention. As a coach, I learned many things from their coaches that I will always remember.

I am a little bummed that it wasn't a match, but I am happy and comfortable with my choice and would make it again if I had too.

Last futzed with by csmith12; May 13th, 2015 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.