View Single Post
Old March 23rd, 2016, 10:35 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Having been down a few times , including a 100mph crash. Here is the bottom line on how you should prioritize you gear purchases.

1. Helmet - a good fit is above all!!!!
2. Gloves - get the best you can afford that fully cover the wrist
3. Boots - a great pair will save your ankles
4. Suit - of course leather is better, but not always practical or affordable. Cortech makes a 2 piece textile suit that I have seen fly down the pavement at 80mph and the rider get back up without a scratch.
5. Armor upgrades - start with a stand alone armor chest/back protector. Buying used will save you $$$ here. That $75 used gear item saved my back at when I hit the tarmac at near triple digits and rolled and tumbled for nearly 75ft. Next hit up your local sporting good shop to find some padded shorts, $20 should get you a nice pair. Have a look at the knee and elbow pads too, they can be put on under your jacket and overpants. Remember the rule about armor... It only works if it stays in place when you need it and should not feel bulky when not needed.

Gear shopping is fun but sucks the crap outta your budget. The end goal here is to be more protected while riding, but the biggest benefit in good gear is being more comfortable while riding. Great gear is cooler in the summer than jeans and a tshirt and warmer in the cooler weather than jeans and hoodie.

Have fun with it... and happy shopping!

EDIT: Welcome to riding... just learn to love sweat, it's part of how gear works to keep you cool. While your at the sporting goods store, have a look at the moisture wicking shirts ($10) to address that issue and help the gear work even better.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.