View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2012, 10:41 AM   #49
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alienjoe View Post
You hit it right on the head!! I have 20 years of dirt experience under my belt. So yes as I enter a turn slightly quicker then I am supposed to, I turn in with more weight on the pegs and instead of leaning into the turn, I lean away. In my head, the more weight I keep in a straight line to the street, the safer I am. I am not talking about hitting a 35 mph speed limit at 60+ but I am talking about a natural "skill" to me when I am slightly uncomfortable with my entry speed.

Am I wrong to do this on the street??
I don't know if I would call that 100% right or 100% wrong for the majority of street riding. I would say, if your safe, your confident, it works for you and your reaching your goals, then rock on.

Each rider I talk to does little things that give them the confidence they need to ride at whatever speed. Many of the racers I have talked to will explain similar situations where they may weight the pegs as they corner on the street or track. A few of my good friends also ride this way on the street for our group rides and that arrive home safe and happy.

I can share with you what works for me though. I do something similar to what your talking about but only to "initiate" my turn in. For example, when I want to turn left, I will push on the left bar and use my right foot/leg as an anchor as well as push for additional leverage if needed. Once my line is set though... no pressure is on the bars, the additional weight that was on my right foot is relieved and my weight is then held by my legs and tank. In general, I normally only put enough weight on the pegs to keep me locked onto the bike and turn in. It helps me stay relaxed more and if I am relaxed, I am smoother.

3 things to think about though.
1. Are you dependent on steering the bike with body/peg weight? There is no substitute for counter steering when accuracy or safety is the biggest factor.
2. During those uncomfortable moments, do you also hold tight on the bars? I have to be mindful of that when parking the dirt bike and getting on the ninja.
3. Do the balls of your feet hurt after a long day of hard riding? Mine sure do, so it gives me incentive to hang off the bike using my legs instead of pivot on the inside peg as I corner.

Just be mindful of changing riding habits and goals and how you may need to compensate and you should be good to go.

I'm jealous, I wish I had 20yrs of dirt experience.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote