View Single Post
Old April 8th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
Ever considered better spark efficiency as part of the hypermiler solution?

Takai Hi-Output Super Coils
Semi-related, has anyone tried adapting a coil-on-plug setup from another bike to work on the 250? I did a quick search but didn't see anything that looked related and just found https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118112.

A couple people have swapped COPs from 600/650cc Kawasakis onto the 500, and I have a set ('04 ZX636, same part number as the '05 alex.s mentioned in the other thread) that I'll be putting on mine eventually. I got the 4 COPs and the wire harness for $20 on eBay. It's basically just adapting the wires from the CDI to go into the COP instead of the coil, and possibly adding a resistor.

I realize that they're not high-output aftermarket coils, but COP might be helpful (though I've read that the new COP systems actually put out less power, as they're designed to match up with more modern and precise computer-controlled ignitions which don't require as much). The 500 has some reliability issues with the plug boots and wire ends, so even just equivalent output from a COP system is still a bit of an upgrade for me (though the others seem to find them to be an improvement).

Even if the OEM COPs are only half as much improvement compared to the Takais, there's something to be said for $20 vs. $400. As alex.s said in the other thread, there really shouldn't be a difference on a stock bike, but if the stock ignition is just barely good enough (I have no idea if it's just barely good enough or way more than needed), going to a slightly better OEM ignition could help in the most extreme conditions where the stock system isn't quite cutting it. It sounds like the COP design is just inherently a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the gains from this type of coil comes from the lowered resistance going from the collapsing field into the output coil and into the plug... if you look up joules law you'll see as you lower that resistance, you get higher inductance joules going through the plug for the same amount of charge current (from cdi) which means the spark is hotter and will last slightly longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
well so if you have a weak spark, you are only igniting a part of the fuel, and then that fuel ignites the rest. if you put more joules through the plug (joules is basically heat... factor of power over time) then the spark contributes to igniting more of the fuel. if you are running very high RPM with high compression (lots of other circumstances but these effect it the most) then its possible to complete the burn cycle while still having unburnt fuel. having a hotter spark can start the combustion faster, which means you are able to get a more complete burn. more fuel burnt, more power output.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote