View Single Post
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:04 PM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Imma go against the grain here, so please bear with me. Imma say register for your track day if you want. But....

Do it with a org that has a school component and take the school. Think of it as the MSF for the track. They will/should keep the speeds (especially closing speeds) and safe passing in check and watch you closely enough to provide personal and good feedback. Basically, if they don't have a ton of rules to the Novice group, it's not for you. Do your homework and talk to others that have done the school, not all track day orgs are the same or have a instructional class that is, well... ummm... what you really want. Although I believe there is much to learn on the street that builds to a track day, the street is no place to learn the majority of this stuff. If you can afford it, check out CSS or the like, their track day/school begins in a lot with a steering drill.

The most important thing to remember about a track day is, that first and foremost, it should be an educational experience first... with FUN coming in at a close second. And keep in mind that more fun can be had in the paddock when everyone arrives shinny side up. Let aggression come later with skill and always ride well within your limits because it's NOT a race.

ps. See my sig for the list of things you "should have" for your track day. Going with friends eases the burden and gives you some company to smile with.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.